Interesting fact...

Let us know what you think, what you like, what you don't like... We'll do our best to accomodate everyone!

Interesting fact...

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:43 pm

According to Google Analytics... we're getting a half-dozen hits a day from Dehli, India....

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Re: Interesting fact...

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:50 pm

I the first month since the re-launch, we've had visitors from 122 different countries. We're lacking in central Africa and some of the Balkan states though... so, if you know anyone there, give them a nudge, would ya??? ;-)

Picture 2.jpg
Picture 2.jpg (59.78 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
"We are linked to this institution by invisible bonds that do not wither or dissolve." --BGSU President, Dr. Ralph W. McDonald - 1968
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby ZiggyZoomba » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:51 pm

Where's the love from Greenland?!???!?!
Grant Cummings
ROLL ALONG!!!
ZiggyZoomba
The Wizard of AZZ
The Wizard of AZZ

Postby VDub26Falcon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:51 pm

You got Ireland...that's all that really matters! And why isn't that in shades of Brown or Orange??? What's this GREEN crap???
Be Special, Be Different, BE Bowling Green - Dino Babers
VDub26Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon
The Drunken Irish Falcon

Postby Ydfalcon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:30 pm

Is it just me or is Alaska disproportionately large on that map? It looks to be roughly 2/3 the size of the rest of the US, if not more.
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:36 pm

It has to be that big. If it weren't they couldn't see Russia from there..... :P
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Ydfalcon wrote:Is it just me or is Alaska disproportionately large on that map? It looks to be roughly 2/3 the size of the rest of the US, if not more.

Unfortunately, I'm going to try to answer this with a somewhat accurate answer that I can remember, so I may ruin the fun by putting facts to this. I believe things look out of proportion because of the map style being used. The Earth is a globe, so to stretch the map to a rectangular shape means stretching things out at the poles. If you notice, all lines of longitude touch at both poles, where here they are parallel to each other, or would be if they were shown. A more accurate depiction is one where they actually try to cut parts out and paste them in weird angles. I'll try to find an example of this and post it below.

There are better ones out there. The point is, to cut apart a sphere and paste it onto a flat surface is impossible without cutting at many different points and pulling things apart, or by stretching things to make it flat.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Ydfalcon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Oh yeah, I generally understand how making a curved globe into a flat map sometimes skews things, but this just seemed even more than usual. I don't know, just a casual observation really.
- yd
Ydfalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Bleeding Orange » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:42 am

The relative distortion you are seeing in this map is due to it's projection, or in other words the two-dimensional depiction of the earth's surface relative to it's three-dimensional reality. In this case, the map is presented Mercator projection, which is a cylindrical representation of the earth's surface (imagine the earth's surface unglued, flattened out, and wrapped around the outside of a tube). So, everything near the poles is greatly distorted because the latitudinal lines are all parallel, and thus theoretically go on into infinity. As I recall, this projection is used for navigational purposes because it allows for accurate depictions of distance.

Why does my geography minor only come in handy when I'm slightly drunk? Either way, I'm a nerd. No comments.
From the halls of ivy...

It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work - work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it. ~Ronald Reagan

:smt117
Bleeding Orange
The Abominable Desert 'Cat

Postby USGFreddie05-06 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Bleeding Orange wrote:The relative distortion you are seeing in this map is due to it's projection, or in other words the two-dimensional depiction of the earth's surface relative to it's three-dimensional reality. In this case, the map is presented Mercator projection, which is a cylindrical representation of the earth's surface (imagine the earth's surface unglued, flattened out, and wrapped around the outside of a tube). So, everything near the poles is greatly distorted because the latitudinal lines are all parallel, and thus theoretically go on into infinity. As I recall, this projection is used for navigational purposes because it allows for accurate depictions of distance.

Why does my geography minor only come in handy when I'm slightly drunk? Either way, I'm a nerd. No comments.

It could be worse; you could have been a geography major! And from what I remember, you are absolutely correct!
USGFreddie05-06
Egg
Egg

Postby Bleeding Orange » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:46 pm

USGFreddie05-06 wrote:
Bleeding Orange wrote:The relative distortion you are seeing in this map is due to it's projection, or in other words the two-dimensional depiction of the earth's surface relative to it's three-dimensional reality. In this case, the map is presented Mercator projection, which is a cylindrical representation of the earth's surface (imagine the earth's surface unglued, flattened out, and wrapped around the outside of a tube). So, everything near the poles is greatly distorted because the latitudinal lines are all parallel, and thus theoretically go on into infinity. As I recall, this projection is used for navigational purposes because it allows for accurate depictions of distance.

It could be worse; you could have been a geography major! And from what I remember, you are absolutely correct!

Hey, think of it this way - you and I are among the .0005% of the world's population who knows what the Coriolis Effect is. So we have that going for us. Which is nice. :lol:
From the halls of ivy...

It is not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it work - work with us, not over us; stand by our side, not ride on our back. Government can and must provide opportunity, not smother it; foster productivity, not stifle it. ~Ronald Reagan

:smt117
Bleeding Orange

Return to Website Feedback