BG Gymnastics Accusations

The smaller "non-revenue" sports at BGSU.

Re: BG Gymnastics Accusations

Postby BGDrew » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:08 pm

The hockey team is required to travel to Alaska and Alabama since those teams are in our conference.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:58 pm

BGDrew wrote:The hockey team is required to travel to Alaska and Alabama since those teams are in our conference.

Of course. But these trips -- particularly the Alaska trips -- are comparable given the distance. I would think the opportunity to make these trips intrigues some recruits in a way that our usual Mid-American schedules do not.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby BGDrew » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
BGDrew wrote:The hockey team is required to travel to Alaska and Alabama since those teams are in our conference.

I would think the opportunity to make these trips intrigues some recruits.

You’ve obviously never been to Fairbanks in the middle of winter then.

I’m not saying teams should stick to bus trips by the way. You want your university being represented at as many places as possible. But, not al programs are afforded those luxuries.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:25 pm

BGDrew wrote:You’ve obviously never been to Fairbanks in the middle of winter then.

This is true. I bet the aurora borealis are something to see, though.
Schadenfreude

Postby bgbill » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
BGDrew wrote:You’ve obviously never been to Fairbanks in the middle of winter then.

This is true. I bet the aurora borealis are something to see, though.

I've been to Fairbanks several times for the games. Have yet to see Northern Lights.
All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.
bgbill
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 pm

This would be a great time to cut Gymnastics and add women's lacrosse...More scholarships for title IX...larger growing sport especially in the Midwest with the MAC...and we already have facilities for it.
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Postby TommyG » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Gymnastics shouldn’t be traveling across country unless all expenses are paid by the hosting institution. I don’t think football should either unless the guarantee is through the roof . Common sense would tell you that being smarter on travel expenses would allow you to spend more money to enhance programs. BG doesn’t have the discipline or leadership to implement that type of strategy.
Part of the reason we’re so unimpressive across the board in athletics.
TommyG
Egg
Egg

Postby It's the Journey... » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks guys, I need this laugh today. As bad of a day as I am having these comments make it better.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:05 pm

It's the Journey... wrote:Thanks guys, I need this laugh today. As bad of a day as I am having these comments make it better.

What is the reason for keeping Gymnastics besides that you work with the program? 6 team conference in a declining national sport. We aren't an elite team by any means outside of one or two individuals a year. Our coaching staff is a mess. Anderson Arena is ready to come down

There are multiple female sports that would be of a greater benefit to BGSU as a whole
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Postby It's the Journey... » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:20 pm

The investment has already been made. Other than hockey, which I think we should add ASAP, what other sports do you have in mind? Gymnastics is a growing sport nationally. The new contract with ESPN is one example of that. Our seven team conference regularly puts two into postseason competition. Again, outside of Women's Track and Field, what other sport is BG routinely putting competitors into the post season?

If you base your entire opinion of the program on a one sided article written by a paper as powerful as the blaaa then I don't know what else to say. Some sports are not for everyone.

I'd invite you out to Anderson tonight at 6:30 and you can see for you self. It's senior night.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Well we finished 5th of 7 teams at MAC Champs...We finished 52nd in the country and weren't even close to postseason as a team. Time to clean house and bring in a new coaching staff
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Postby Falconwriter » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:11 am

First of all, it seems to me the article was a toxic mix of an agenda by those who are disgruntled with the program, and mistakes by the coaching staff that opened the door for just such a public bashing. In today's world, you almost never see complaints like this go through in-house channels without becoming very public. We now live in a society that has too many people believing their everyday activities and views are the most important thing -- ever -- and should be shared. Social media, in general, is a sewer with a never-ending flow of crap.

I'm not close to the program, but on the surface, it certainly seems like the coaching staff is under-achieving. I'll trust Moose to evaluate everything and make the call here. Given that it's also a program that very few care about (other than helping BG comply with Title IX), you have to wonder if it doesn't rank fairly low on the AD's priority list.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Previous

Return to Other Sports