Pizza Pub 516

Our favorite recipies and discussions on all things epicurian, beer, deep-fried goodness, wine, caviar; what fuels YOUR Falcon?

Pizza Pub 516

Postby charger » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:36 am

Is the new pizza place that replaced Myles any good? I heard they were trying to make pizza similar to Myles.
charger
Egg
Egg

Re: Pizza Pub 516

Postby Falcon Fanatic » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:34 am

charger wrote:Is the new pizza place that replaced Myles any good? I heard they were trying to make pizza similar to Myles.

I think it's very similar. They pile a ton of cheese on it. The sauce is sweeter, which I like, as I wasn't a huge fan of Myles' sauce. Heard the cheese bread is almost identical.
"Regarding BGSU, I would think their biggest strength is that they never give up, They never slow down and they battle hard even after the other team scores. We have to be on our game and never, ever take the foot off the gas for a second."
~~USCHO Poster
"BG was relentless. It's like they know that a good first pass on the breakout from a defenseman will almost always result in an odd-man rush against them - but they go in anyway and dare you to make that pass. All three of their goals were just grit and effort. That's a team any fan can be proud to support...they give all they've got."
~~USCHO Poster, AFTER Tech beat us
#NeverGiveUp
#NeverSurrender
#Relentless
#Resiliant
Falcon Fanatic
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:25 pm

It's a reasonable facsimile, but the more I've eaten it, the more I kinda wish they would have decided to just do their own thing. As Chip's employees have moved on (not all, but I think they've lost quite a few) the quality seems to move further and further away from Myle's (IMO).

They did correct the inexcusable mistake of only having canned mushrooms at launch. They now have these fresh baby button mushrooms, that are really good. And their sausage is a more Italian style than what Myle's offered, so I prefer that as well. But other than that, it's mostly steps in the wrong direction, IMO. The sauce is, as Falcon Fanatic mentioned, much sweeter and not spicy at all. They are trying to emulate the Myle's style pizza, but didn't even attempt to come up with a similar sauce. BIG mistake, IMO, because the sauce was one of the things that made the original so great, and that style of pizza plays much better with a spicy sauce than it does sweet. I don't think they're nearly as generous with the stuff like Pepperoni, but they do still put the cheese on heavy. The cheese is still burnt on top, and it's still a tasty brand of cheese, probably the same.

The cheese bread is similar, but they only have one size now. If you were like my wife & I who found a small one to be about 1 piece too many before you're now forced to buy an extra slice of bread for an extra $1.50 (I think that's the price diff). They are 0-2 for me in cooking the loaf style correctly, however. Both times the cheese on the outside was burnt like Myle's, but the inside wasn't completely melted. Dunno if they're not running the ovens at the same temp or what.

Last time I was in there the guy pulling pizzas out was using a knife to make a hole in the cheese and shooting it with an IR thermometer to see if the middle was done. Besides this being NOT the right type of therm for the job, it also put a hole in the middle of your pizza. And, of course it shows that the people making the pizzas don't yet have the knowledge/instinct of the long time Myle's employees.

All in all it's a decent pizza place. It falls short of Myle's in most categories to me though, and I'm trying to be objective (and have already eaten it 4 times...). If you were an occasional Myle's eater you'd probably think it will satisfy the craving. If you're somebody like me who ate Myle's regularly, no matter how hard you try, you'll constantly be nitpicking what isn't the same. Maybe that will fade as time goes on, but that's where I'm at. It's nice to have a reasonable replica of Myle's, but at the same time I can't help but think I'd be a more satisfied customer if they would have just tried to come up with their own thing in terms of pizza style. I also worry if it will fade further from the original as they lose more of the old staff...
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BGDrew » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:30 am

Tried it for the first time last week and I doubt I'll ever order it again. It's just a bland, overpriced pizza now.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:09 pm

BGDrew wrote:Tried it for the first time last week and I doubt I'll ever order it again. It's just a bland, overpriced pizza now.

I can see that. I pulled out some of my stash last night and was blown away at how much better even 4 months old frozen Myle's is than the Pizza Pub 516.

I really think they're doing a disservice to themselves trying to emulate the legend. It's not even close to as good as Myle's was, and as time goes on it's going in the wrong direction.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Return to Falcon Food