Ramen

Our favorite recipies and discussions on all things epicurian, beer, deep-fried goodness, wine, caviar; what fuels YOUR Falcon?

Ramen

Postby RobbyFalcon » Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 pm

When I was in the US Army keeping Kim Il Sung from attacking South Korea, I had occasion to stumble, stagger and crawl around the village that cropped up outside our gates. We, quite creatively, called it "The 'Ville." One of the mainstays of the Ville and the Officers Club cuisine was a little dish called Ramen. Maybe I should mention the only reason I was allowed in the Officers Club was because the Enlisted Club burned down and no one could be bothered to re-build it. It was the only on-base club.

Anyway, the dish was pronounced Rahm-ee-en. And it was never served with just noodles and salt/flavor packet. It was always kicked up. There was more water in the bowl than I generally see in the U.S. and there were ingredients added. Scrambled eggs, cheese, hot peppers, chicken, vegetables and other items were tossed in the steaming bowl. It was fifty cents for a bowl of Ramen and each add-on was a quarter. The Galaga/Ms. Pac-Man game was 2 plays for a quarter. The Miller Lite in the pop machine was fifty cents. When I got to BG and added stuff to my Ramen some folks were surprised and ate it very dry with just the salt/flavor packet.

I had a little plug-in pot that would boil water when I lived in the dorms. My room was the go-to spot for your 1 am Ramen fix.

Ramen: 6 packs for dollar. You can't beat it. How do you improve it?
Robby Anonymous
Class of '89
RobbyFalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Ramen

Postby transfer2BGSU » Mon May 07, 2012 10:29 pm

RobbyFalcon wrote:Ramen: 6 packs for dollar. You can't beat it. How do you improve it?

Throw some kimchee in with it.
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FMBfan07 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:30 am

some of these look interesting: 100 Awesome Ramen Recipes for Starving College Students - http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2009/12/0 ... -students/
Go Falcons!
Roll Along!
FMBfan07
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby h2oville rocket » Thu May 10, 2012 3:36 pm

My frosh roomate was from S. Korea-he'd cook up noodles with beaucoup spices and add a dried fish called cuttlefish. Very chewy but tasted great. Never spoke a word of English to me all year that I recall and was quite timid but very smart and a pretty good cook-He had an illegal little hotplate and could feed four or five of us off that thing.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby rood » Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 am

If you can find it try the Mie Goreng from a company called Indo Mie. Basically ramen but imported from Indonesia. Most Asian grocery stores carry it and it is infinitely better than anything you'll find at the local mega-mart.
I love people who can laugh at themselves. It saves me the effort.
rood
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Falcon Food