BG vs WMU

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: BG vs WMU

Postby Flipper » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 am

I agree...this program reminds me of the football team in 2010 and 2011. They're struggling now, but you can see the foundation being laid for future success. If we aren't serious contenders in 2018/19, I'll be stunned
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby hammb » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:08 am

Flipper wrote:I agree...this program reminds me of the football team in 2010 and 2011. They're struggling now, but you can see the foundation being laid for future success. If we aren't serious contenders in 2018/19, I'll be stunned

I think we're building a good foundation as well. It could probably have been accelerated by adding more Jucos, but it's clear that Huger is a believer in the old fashioned method of building through HS talent. I'm fine with that, and the talent he's added looks like it can play.

Of course I thought we would see Lillard build off his end of last year play, so that's been real disappointing this season. Still, we could have pushed for a .500 record (IMO) had we not lost Turner, Uju, and Mayleben for the entire season.

Caldwell & Frye have better skillsets than we've seen at Guard in quite some time. I want to see both of them more aggressive going towards the basket, which they seemed to be last night, and rely less on just outside shooting. But they have better shooting strokes than we've recruited in awhile. I'm encouraged that Frye has maintained a reasonable shooting percentage for a Freshman even though his 3 point shooting has struggled in conference play. Caldwell needs to work on finishing/mid range though. It feels like he's shooting worse from 2 than he is from 3. Caldwell definitely seems to be improving in A:TO and has been better in that department than Ali in conference play...that's a good thing.

I don't know what to make of Wiggins. Seems like he's so ineffective for long stretches, yet still manages to end up with decent numbers most of the time. I just don't think he's a guy you can dump the ball down to and let him work on the block. He's much better getting 2nd chance points and cutting to the rim when guards can draw help. When we dump the ball down to him he seems absolutely befuddled by any double teams.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby fredthefalcon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Statistically BG played a good game, shooting was above average, turnovers were down. Fouls were up and WMU made them pay at the line but the true difference was Wilder. BG just does not have that thing that most MAC teams do--a guy that consistently scores 15-20+ points a game. Our top scorer is Denny with Alcegaire close behind. Neither is consistent. One game they are hot and the next cold, struggling to score in double figures. Who that go to guy will be next year I am not sure, but to really progress we likely need one.
fredthefalcon
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:51 pm

I think it comes down to hope and size/weight.

We have hope at every position after this year. We have not had this in years. We don't recruit guys who can pretty obviously not play from day one anymore. That is a huge difference. Next year we will be adding 5 guys to this team 6-4 and above Turner (6-4), Plowden (6-5), Uju (6-7), Koch (6-8) and Gadson (6-11). We are only losing 1 guy over 6-4. Then we are also adding weight. Plowden 220+, Uju 220, Koch 225, Gadson 235. We are going to be much tougher next year just by having balance, Experienced guards to go with experienced big men who now actually have depth.

Someone mentioned we are missing a star. I agree. But we have created the situation for a star to arise. People don't have to play out of position. The PG's know the offense. etc. etc. If we retain most of these guys next year's team is my favorite since McLeod era.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby transfer2BGSU » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:09 pm

We have 3 rocks in the starting lineup in Caldwell-Frye-Wiggins.
Then a bunch of replacements.
Denny=Turner, Plowden, Lillard
Alcegaire=Worrell, Koch
Ali=Cummings
Fox=Kulackovkis*
Gaping Hole=Gadson

Fox is a junior, not a senior. He will be back next year.
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:11 am

It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Globetrotter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:53 am

transfer2BGSU wrote:

We have 3 rocks in the starting lineup in Caldwell-Frye-Wiggins.
Then a bunch of replacements.
Denny=Turner, Plowden, Lillard
Alcegaire=Worrell, Koch
Ali=Cummings
Fox=Kulackovkis*
Gaping Hole=Gadson

Fox is a junior, not a senior. He will be back next year.

Yep. But it's unlikely he will have the same role do to his limitations on the court and growing depth. Also, he may not have a scholarship next year. Gaping hole is also not graduating.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops