its Cleveland State DAY!!!!!

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: its Cleveland State DAY!!!!!

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Does anyone know why Laster didn't play and Fields started?
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Wife and I were at the game. Aw much of what has been said already, but perhaps biggest coaching blunder came on a BG in bounds play from baseline. For some unknown reason they had Austin try to inbound over a couple of CSU kids in the 6’5 or so range . He kept looking, tried to pass over top, was intercepted and CSU was off and running. Why would you allow your shortest player try this?
I know you guys have complained all season about coaching, but this was just DUMB IMO,

Haven’t seen shooting stats yet , but CSU shot the lights out from 3, mostly on open looks.
For those of you who complain about Wiggins == 21 pts, 16 rebounds , 7 of 9 at line. He’s not great but I think his improvement over 4 yrs has been excellent.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:08 am

Postiive sign is we transitioned to a much better lineup. Mattis and Plowden playing more.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Rollo83 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:56 am

Class of 61 wrote:Wife and I were at the game. Aw much of what has been said already, but perhaps biggest coaching blunder came on a BG in bounds play from baseline. For some unknown reason they had Austin try to inbound over a couple of CSU kids in the 6’5 or so range . He kept looking, tried to pass over top, was intercepted and CSU was off and running. Why would you allow your shortest player try this?
I know you guys have complained all season about coaching, but this was just DUMB IMO,

Haven’t seen shooting stats yet , but CSU shot the lights out from 3, mostly on open looks.
For those of you who complain about Wiggins == 21 pts, 16 rebounds , 7 of 9 at line. He’s not great but I think his improvement over 4 yrs has been excellent.

Sorry but I don't see the "excellent" improvement from Wiggins. He clearly was the most gifted player on the court tonight from a physical standpoint. He had 3 to 5 inches on anybody CSU played on him tonight. He was the one that should of had 37 points. He disappeared in the first half when CSU went on their run. Once again he had foul trouble and spent time on the bench in the second half with 4 fouls. All seven of his made field goals were either dunks or lay-ups. His seven missed field goals included some awful looking shots. I give him credit for being solid at the free throw line tonight.

Not saying he's horrible, just frustrated because he has the potential to dominate games and just seems to coast at times. He's never developed that killer instinct. Maybe its coaching or maybe its just his make-up. Just wish he could have taken it to the next level during his four years here.
"Windows are for cheaters, chimneys for the poor.
Closets are for hangers, winners use the door."

-B. Springsteen
Rollo83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:04 am

Moose has to be face palming over the hires that Kingston made. That man wrecked the athletic department .
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby guest44 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:48 am

If anyone was honest with Moose, he should have known that 3 programs were in terrible shape when he took the job. It was never more obvious than with this program. You saw a championship level program the year before Huger got here, and saw immediately it wasn’t close to that. This was riding out 6 years as soon as it was signed.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm

https://static.bgsufalcons.com/custompa ... erview.mp3

It's even more frustrating after listening to this. Coach Huger agrees with us. Makes me think he might not be a bad coach. We have talented players, maybe we don't have smart basketball players.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby hammb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:15 pm

If the coaches cannot see the problems, it's the coaches' fault.

If the players aren't able to take the coaching and learn from it, it's the coaches' fault.

If the players aren't talented enough, it's the coaches' fault.

If the players aren't smart enough, it's the coaches' fault.

It doesn't matter if the coach sees the same problems we do. It matters if he can find a way to get the players to see that and fix them. That's what coaching is. Anybody who has watched a basketball game can see we struggle against zone defenses, but I don't have a clue how to get the players to start making the right reads/plays to fix that.

Furthermore, if the players prove incapable of executing whatever it is he wants them to do that is STILL his fault because he scouted and recruited these players.

Comments in press conferences do little to nothing for me. When he's been the coach here for 4 seasons it's all on Huger. Either he's failed at recruiting, failed at strategy, or failed at coaching the kids up...all roads lead to the same place.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:40 pm

hammb wrote:If the coaches cannot see the problems, it's the coaches' fault.

If the players aren't able to take the coaching and learn from it, it's the coaches' fault.

It doesn't matter if the coach sees the same problems we do. It matters if he can find a way to get the players to see that and fix them. That's what coaching is. Anybody who has watched a basketball game can see we struggle against zone defenses, but I don't have a clue how to get the players to start making the right reads/plays to fix that.

Furthermore, if the players prove incapable of executing whatever it is he wants them to do that is STILL his fault because he scouted and recruited these players.

Comments in press conferences do little to nothing for me. When he's been the coach here for 4 seasons it's all on Huger. Either he's failed at recruiting, failed at strategy, or failed at coaching the kids up...all roads lead to the same place.

I am a Bengals fan. I am used to the coaches and front offices not seeing the obvious problems. But I agree with you.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby hammb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Globetrotter wrote:

I am a Bengals fan. I am used to the coaches and front offices not seeing the obvious problems. But I agree with you.

*chuckle*

Still there have been times I've watched games live and said to myself "we look clueless on offense." Then I'll get in the car and hear Huger say, "We're getting the shots we wanted, we just have to make them."

Sure that could be window dressing for a press conference, but I do think part of the problem is that his plan of attack is also flawed. Specifically against zone he sometimes sounds content if we're shooting open 3s. Ordinarily I'd say that's a valid method of attacking a zone defense, but not for this group of players. We do not have shooters capable of lighting things up from 3 so much that I just want them chucking every open 3 they get against a zone. A zone will always give you open looks from 3, ESPECIALLY if they know you don't have great shooters. We should be moving the ball inside/out to get the zone moving to get underneath looks to Wiggins/Plowden.

Any team can settle for open 3s against a zone. That's not good offense. Especially when you don't have a single player shooting above 36% from beyond the arc for this season or their careers. (which is a whole OTHER problem)
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Globetrotter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:43 pm

hammb wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:

*chuckle*

Still there have been times I've watched games live and said to myself "we look clueless on offense." Then I'll get in the car and hear Huger say, "We're getting the shots we wanted, we just have to make them."

Sure that could be window dressing for a press conference, but I do think part of the problem is that his plan of attack is also flawed. Specifically against zone he sometimes sounds content if we're shooting open 3s. Ordinarily I'd say that's a valid method of attacking a zone defense, but not for this group of players. We do not have shooters capable of lighting things up from 3 so much that I just want them chucking every open 3 they get against a zone. A zone will always give you open looks from 3, ESPECIALLY if they know you don't have great shooters. We should be moving the ball inside/out to get the zone moving to get underneath looks to Wiggins/Plowden.

Any team can settle for open 3s against a zone. That's not good offense. Especially when you don't have a single player shooting above 36% from beyond the arc for this season or their careers. (which is a whole OTHER problem)

At one point last night both Wiggins and Plowden were posting up on the same side. That's basic streetball to not overload things. It's embarassing.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby Falconwriter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:44 pm

I am quoting this for emphasis. All roads DO lead to the same place.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Flipper » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Two words for Moose to consider...Patrick Beilein
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby apollo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:00 am

I’d say there is no chance you’d see another coach fired with years left on their contract. Not unless they are ok to use Frack’s money for a buyout.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:52 pm

apollo wrote:I’d say there is no chance you’d see another coach fired with years left on their contract. Not unless they are ok to use Frack’s money for a buyout.

Of course we're ok with that. Ensuring we have some of the best coaching in the conference at all times is probably the best use of that money there is.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops