OU didn't know?

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: OU didn't know?

Postby Matty B » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:53 pm

Rollo83 wrote:
footballguy51 wrote:Wiggins was having a rough game. He was no help on the offensive side and was getting visibly frustrated. It was a smart move to just pull him. There is always another game.

As to the players in the stands, they have been doing that all season. I love it!

He was 0-3 from the field. How does he get frustrated so quickly? Better yet, how are you 6'10" and not score a point in 18 minutes?

I was waiting for someone to find a reason to complain about a 19 point win.

Wiggins felt he was being held in the post (he had a point), was complaining to the refs, and huger actually chewed him out for it more than once before eventually going to Uju.

OU clearly made it a focal point to take him away after he dominated vs kent, and other guys stepped up.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby Matty B » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:55 pm

Hockey John wrote:
Globetrotter wrote:Excited to see what those in attendance have to say about the game. Looked like we put our backups in, they extended the lead and so we just didn't put Wiggins or Turner back in. I don't blame them but it's an interesting way to do things. Those are your best 2 players. Keep them rested. If you don't need them keep them out and let the depth grow on the court. I am assuming no one was injured.[/quote

The Bench deserved the minutes that they got. The Bench got the lead in the first half and the starters gave it back. The second half, the starters fell behind again and the bench got the lead back and extended the lead. I see nothing wrong with rewarding the bench players with more playing time. They EARNED it, Huger did what I think a good coach does, He played the players, on that given day, that gave him the best chance to win. Great job Coach Huger! :D :D :D

+1
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby hammb » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:12 am

The bench played an outstanding game. Sierra and uju were fantastic on defense where Wiggins, and to a lesser extent, Plowden were getting killed. The team came out early trying to go back to their garbage feed Wiggins offense and he just got dominated...turnovers, ugly shots, etc. Maybe he was being fouled but they weren't calling it and he was getting killed on defense. He can't guard anybody that doesn't sit in the paint, and ou's bigs were killing him on the perimeter.

Really the whole starting unit lacked energy in the first half. I think we only had like 12 pts from our starters at the half. Mixing Frye and Turner with the backup unit worked very well and both had big second halves. Laster played his best game as a falcon, IMO as well.

Major props to huger for leaving Wiggins on the bench and rolling with what was working.

Good to get a dominating win with one of your best players getting a goose egg, and the whole starting unit struggling for long stretches.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby HoopsFan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:31 am

I think the first subs was Turner and the 4 guys who got a lot of minutes and that gave us a lift. As the starters rotated in, we stayed at 30 forever, and OU went on a 14-point run, moving the score from 30-21 to 30-35. Laster, Lillard, Sierra and Uju had great games and seemed to be having fun out there.

Lillard seems to be gaining confidence with his shot. His 3's are going in and his defense is solid. Sierra had a couple of mid-court blocks and tips that got our offense going and Laster did a nice job of driving the basket. Then, Frye woke up and started running the offense and making shots. All in all, a sweet evening.

The team has been going into the stands for at least a year, and it started with a close win where they spilled into the student section and now into the Anderson Club seats.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:41 am

All of this is very encouraging. That Huger rolled with the subs and didn't try to force things with the starters -- maybe shows his maturation as a coach? I'm not sure the Huger of a couple years ago does that, does he? Then again, maybe this has to do with the depth of talent on the team now (or both). No matter, it's good to see. I'm betting like everyone on this site, I want to be VERY wrong about Huger and where this program is right now, and where it's headed.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby hammb » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:15 am

Falconwriter wrote:All of this is very encouraging. That Huger rolled with the subs and didn't try to force things with the starters -- maybe shows his maturation as a coach? I'm not sure the Huger of a couple years ago does that, does he? Then again, maybe this has to do with the depth of talent on the team now (or both). No matter, it's good to see. I'm betting like everyone on this site, I want to be VERY wrong about Huger and where this program is right now, and where it's headed.

IT was the best coaching job of his tenure here, IMO. Whether it's a fluke or a sign of things to come we'll see, but it was a tremendous job. When the starters were struggling early he made wholesale changes and put Turner out there with the rest backups. Later in the game it was sometimes Frye with the backups. When it was painfully obvious how it wasn't working they quickly stopped trying to dump the ball into the post, which in games/years past we've never been willing to go away from.

I still didn't think we played as well with ball movement as we had in the KSU game, but they did do much better in the 2nd half. Turner, individually, was awesome last night. He scored 20 and nearly all of them came off the dribble creating his own shot. He really had the mid range floaters working last night. And Turner wasn't dominating Laster was. Never seen him play like that at since he got here.

Lillard coming off the bench has been a godsend for this team. He still makes so many boneheaded plays, but with that 2nd unit he's getting WIDE open 3s to go with his stuff near the rim. He's never been a pretty shooter, but with the wide open looks he's been seeing he's been knocking them down at a pretty good rate.

I wasn't impressed with this team at all through starting 5-0, 6-0 at home. But these past few weeks with Fields & Plowden with the 1s have really started to look like a completely different team.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Falconwriter wrote:All of this is very encouraging. That Huger rolled with the subs and didn't try to force things with the starters -- maybe shows his maturation as a coach? I'm not sure the Huger of a couple years ago does that, does he? Then again, maybe this has to do with the depth of talent on the team now (or both). No matter, it's good to see. I'm betting like everyone on this site, I want to be VERY wrong about Huger and where this program is right now, and where it's headed.

Yep, sometimes I forget he can still get better as a coach. Let's hope that's the case. Things look to be going well.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Previous

Return to Men's Hoops