Orange and Brown Scrimmage 2019

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Orange and Brown Scrimmage 2019

Postby hammb » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:01 pm

We were there as well. We definitely look talented. The dunk contest was actually a fun show, unlike last year where it felt tedious watching Lillard fail to get his 2nd attempt down over and over again.

I think you're right that Sierra starts at the 5, but that's a small lineup to be sure. HE looked at least 20# lighter (and he looked better for it). Speaking with him after the game he confirmed he's lost quite a bit of weight.

Got to talk briefly with Juice after the game, he says he should be fine for the season, just has a little something going on.

My 4 year old got to meet Dylan Frye, which was awesome since every time he's shooting at home he says, "I'm Dylan Frye!"

Last year I felt Plowden & Fields might have had more in their game that they weren't really able to show being behind Frye/Turner/Wiggins/Lillard in the pecking order. I think yesterday showed off that those guys are ready to be major offensive options for this team (aided, of course, by Juice not playing). Fields had have about 20 pts, and Plowden did some nice things as well.

Matiss was very impressive. I had resigned myself to the fact that we may not get anything from him, but he didn't look like the statue glued to the ground guy he was last year. Clearly has some athleticism back 2 years out from the ACL. Had a nice putback dunk in the 2nd half, and I think had 2 dunks on the day.

To me Diggs looked like the best of the newcomers. Made a few 3s, had some nice plays at the rim. He's going to be a scorer off the bench at the very least. Turner is longer than I expected, but didn't seem to do much. Ziegler had a couple nice plays, and put on a nice show in the dunk contest. He's a helluva athlete for sure. Elsasser may not be a legit D1 talent, but he is definitely better than our usual Walk-Ons. With his dad being here we'll probably never give him a scholarship, but he looks like he belongs moreso than Fox did as a freshman. Might provide something some day.

Gadsen using one of those wheel carts thing makes me think he's not playing anytime soon. Was not impressed by Mattos at all. If Swingle cannot gain eligibility that 5 spot will be an issue. Although I think we're probably going to see Matiss playing a "Stretch" 5 quite a bit. You didn't list him at 5 on your list, Globe, but I think we'll see a frontcourt of Turner-Plowden-Mattis from time to time. They'll get destroyed defensively, but should really open things up for us offensively.

I was surprised Swingle didn't get in at all. Didn't get to chat with him, so I don't know if he's also nursing something or they just don't expect him to get his waiver so didn't want to throw him out there. Seems a bit odd to me though, I figured he'd play yesterday even if he isn't destined for immediate eligibility.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby mc99 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:37 pm

I thought I heard that Swingle had a small stress fracture in the summer so probably just being careful.
mc99
Egg
Egg

Postby Falconwriter » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:53 pm

mc99 wrote:I thought I heard that Swingle had a small stress fracture in the summer so probably just being careful.

He's not been cleared to play by the NCAA has he?
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Globetrotter » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:36 pm

Falconwriter wrote:
mc99 wrote:I thought I heard that Swingle had a small stress fracture in the summer so probably just being careful.

He was injured, I don't know the injury and he has not been cleared to play but could be practicing.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby hammb » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Falconwriter wrote:

To my knowledge his eligibility is still up in the air, but that would have nothing to do with playing in a scrimmage. If I saw that he had a stress fracture, I forgot about it. That would explain it.

Historically guys that we planned on redshirting participate in not only the scrimmage but also the early exhibition contests. But, again, if Swingle is hurt that explains it.

Of course I'm not holding my breath that he'll get a transfer waiver, but we can hope.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby factman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:28 pm

“fact”! :-D
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby AyZiggy97 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:54 pm

It looks like the first non BG opponent for BG will be DePaul, in one of those off-the-books scrimmages. Stadium's Jeff Goodman lists it as Oct. 19 in Chicago. They played last year and BG won by 7, according to Jon Rothstein.

BG has traditionally chosen the one exhibition game against a non-D1 and one closed scrimmage, since the NCAA changed the pre season rules several years ago.

https://watchstadium.com/news/not-so-secret-list/
AyZiggy97
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:29 pm

AyZiggy97 wrote:It looks like the first non BG opponent for BG will be DePaul, in one of those off-the-books scrimmages. Stadium's Jeff Goodman lists it as Oct. 19 in Chicago. They played last year and BG won by 7, according to Jon Rothstein.

BG has traditionally chosen the one exhibition game against a non-D1 and one closed scrimmage, since the NCAA changed the pre season rules several years ago.

That’s a great test for BG. DePaul is going to have an underrated team this year with an outstanding freshman class and a couple of other future NBA players on their team.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Antimob » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:28 pm

AyZiggy97 wrote:since the NCAA changed the pre season rules several years ago.

Bring back Pella Windows!

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/1999/12/27 ... k_647.aspx
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Mike Laster has been putting in WORK this offseason.

I've seen lots of videos of him hitting lots of outside shots at a consistent clip during preseason practice. If he makes a jump, he's going to be an incredible presence off the bench. If he can be as good as he was against Buffalo last year for the entire season, we're going to be a problem in the MAC.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:53 pm

AyZiggy97 wrote:It looks like the first non BG opponent for BG will be DePaul, in one of those off-the-books scrimmages. Stadium's Jeff Goodman lists it as Oct. 19 in Chicago. They played last year and BG won by 7, according to Jon Rothstein.

The “secret scrimmage” was today, and BG came out with the win, 82-72.

Notable Falcon stat lines (via Jeff Goodman):
Daeqwon Plowden 22pts 4reb
Justin Turner 15pts 7reb
Dylan Frye 12pts 5reb 4ast
Caleb Fields 11pts
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:26 am

mbenecke wrote:

Justin Turner 15pts 7reb
Caleb Fields 11pts

This is very encouraging news.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby hammb » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:55 am

Falconwriter wrote:
mbenecke wrote:

Justin Turner 15pts 7reb
Caleb Fields 11pts

This is very encouraging news.

Perhaps most encouraging is that juice is healthy enough to compete in meaningless scrimmages.

I also think both Plowden and Fields have so much more game than they were allowed to show last season. I'm excited!
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby JohnFloyd4Life » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:56 pm

If Plowden has developed an offensive game, look out.
JohnFloyd4Life
Chick
Chick

Postby Siborg » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Does anyone know who played the 5 position? Sierra, Matiss, Mattos, Swingle, Gadson?

Did Laster play? or does a suspension not matter for a scrimmage like this?
Did Swingle play? or does a eligibility not matter for a scrimmage like this?
Siborg
Fledgling
Fledgling

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops