Guys with BG Ties:
Steve Merfeld (Creighton), Greg Kampe (Oakland), David Greer (Grand Valley State), Dan Hipsher (Akron)
My personal top 10:
1. MATTHEW GRAVES, top assistant Butler and I'm not sure it's close right now
2. If you can talk me out of Graves, it would have to be Jent, Stephens or Alexander, top B1G assistants with recruiting ties
3. Chris Lowry and Darrin Horn, both have not only gotten to NCAAs but won multiple games in the dance. Expectations did them in NOT ability to coach.
4. Ray Giacoletti, he's from the Midwest and was a finalist at Northern Illinois. Took Eastern Washington to Tournament, Elite 8 run with Utah and now at Gonzaga, again victim of expectations.
5. Steve Merfeld, Evansville wasn't a great fit, but solid recruiter, won NCAA tournament game
6. Scotty Davenport, would be 1A or at worst 2 if I truly felt he would leave honey-hole Bellarmine
7. Sean Woods, from Indianapolis, played PG at Kentucky (early 90s) and blew big lead last night
8. Richard Pitino, has the pedigree, delivered top recruits to Billy Donovan, now working for Dad
9. Greg Kampe, how many times is this guy going to kick our ass? 478 wins, #500 would be sweet in the Stroh
10. Todd Lickliter, kept Butler on the map after Thad Matta and fell flat at Iowa with cupboard empty
Graves would be a great hire. He was a finalist for the Dayton job last year. He has turned down A LOT of offers waiting for the right job to open up. He would be a home run for BG.
Jent? He isn't even Ohio State's top assistant. Jeff Boals would HAVE to be ahead of him in a coaching search. I'm still surprised he didn't get the Kent State job last year.
Chris Lowery would be a horrific hire. He ran Southern Illinois into the ground. His first 3 years were great winning with Webber and Painter's players. He had 1 good recruiting class...which he proceeded to run off. Haven't had a winning season since 07.
Darrin Horn, kinda intruging. Did a nice job at WKU. Was awful at S. Carolina, they got worse every year he was there.
In 9 years at Akron Hipsher won 0 MAC tournament games, I'll pass. Even though he would never leave Alabama.
In 5 years at Evansville Merfled never won 15 games.
IMO, it would be a huge mistake to hire another retread coach. There's a reason they got fired before. Go out and hire a young assistant.
Best case scenario; he makes you better while also bringing enthusiasm to the program and is striving to get a better job. He leaves BG in better shape than they were before.
Worst case scenario; You go .500 a bunch of years and play in the CIT.