2 sellouts in a row

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

2 sellouts in a row

Postby Globetrotter » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:29 pm

Other than the run of going 12-1 over the last 13 games (WOW), what has been the difference? Not that there has to be a difference. People have always said, "win and people will show up". I am not sure I always believed that. But the students and community seems engaged. Like the games will be an event. You have to go!

5000 Buffalo 2-1
2467 WMU 1-19
1507 Ball State 1-15
1442 OU 1-8
UT Martin ?
1715 WCU 12-21
2426 Findlay 12-16
1911 GB 12-8
User avatar
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo
 
Posts: 9553
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:17 am

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby mbenecke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Yes! I'm so impressed with this fan base. A team is worth selling out the Stroh for, and they're doing just that.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby hammb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:52 pm

I'm surprised as well, pleasantly so.

For now I'm still most curious to see what TUESDAY brings though.

Is it fans coming out to support a team at the top of the MAC? Or is it just the perfect storm of us being at the top of the MAC while also having a top 25 ranked team coming in one week and a pretty darn good UT team the following week. Both on weekend evenings.

I suspect a top 25 ranked Buffalo on a Friday evening and a top of the MAC West UT on a Saturday evening would draw well no matter what the state of BG hoops was. Our success over the last 2 months is what turned those games from 3000 people to 5000 people, IMO. I'm very curious (and hopeful) to see if the fanbase will support the team on a Tuesday evening against CMU. Obviously won't be near a sellout, but this team deserves 2500+ every night regardless of opponent.
User avatar
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries
 
Posts: 12624
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Bowling Green

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby mbenecke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:22 pm

hammb wrote:I'm surprised as well, pleasantly so.

For now I'm still most curious to see what TUESDAY brings though.

Is it fans coming out to support a team at the top of the MAC? Or is it just the perfect storm of us being at the top of the MAC while also having a top 25 ranked team coming in one week and a pretty darn good UT team the following week. Both on weekend evenings.

I suspect a top 25 ranked Buffalo on a Friday evening and a top of the MAC West UT on a Saturday evening would draw well no matter what the state of BG hoops was. Our success over the last 2 months is what turned those games from 3000 people to 5000 people, IMO. I'm very curious (and hopeful) to see if the fanbase will support the team on a Tuesday evening against CMU. Obviously won't be near a sellout, but this team deserves 2500+ every night regardless of opponent.


I absolutely agree. I'll be disappointed if Tuesday night is under 2000 people.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby drumstix2388 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:34 pm

mbenecke wrote:
hammb wrote:I'm surprised as well, pleasantly so.

For now I'm still most curious to see what TUESDAY brings though.

Is it fans coming out to support a team at the top of the MAC? Or is it just the perfect storm of us being at the top of the MAC while also having a top 25 ranked team coming in one week and a pretty darn good UT team the following week. Both on weekend evenings.

I suspect a top 25 ranked Buffalo on a Friday evening and a top of the MAC West UT on a Saturday evening would draw well no matter what the state of BG hoops was. Our success over the last 2 months is what turned those games from 3000 people to 5000 people, IMO. I'm very curious (and hopeful) to see if the fanbase will support the team on a Tuesday evening against CMU. Obviously won't be near a sellout, but this team deserves 2500+ every night regardless of opponent.


I absolutely agree. I'll be disappointed if Tuesday night is under 2000 people.


I think performance on Saturday will be the big factor. If they come out and play well and leave with a win, I think it's a big crowd on Tuesday. If it's a dud and they get beat by 20, it will be back to 2200 on Tuesday.
User avatar
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1001
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby zete » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Once or twice a decade we need a 6 or 7 k arena....tomorrow is one of those dates. .... a pleasant problem to have occasionally.
SAme old Same old
User avatar
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby Globetrotter » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:13 pm

I want the students to come in droves love it and then have the experience I had when I was in school.
User avatar
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo
 
Posts: 9553
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:17 am

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby mbenecke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Globetrotter wrote:I want the students to come in droves love it and then have the experience I had when I was in school.


I've always hoped my fellow students would come out. I'm at pretty much every home BG athletic event, and I can attest that it's so much more fun when there's a student presence there.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
User avatar
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:48 pm
Location: Bowling Green

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby ZuluWarrior » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:47 am

Anytime the Falcons have been in first place in the MAC (minimum halfway through MAC play) the fans (students and community) show up. It’s just so damn rare.
User avatar
ZuluWarrior
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:19 pm

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby Roll Along! » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:38 am

ZuluWarrior wrote:Anytime the Falcons have been in first place in the MAC (minimum halfway through MAC play) the fans (students and community) show up. It’s just so damn rare.


2009 we won the regular season. Our home MAC attendances were 1316, 2328, 1426, 1847, 1865, 2120, 2045, 2296
Roll Along!
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby ZuluWarrior » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:48 am

Fair point - although an anamoly because the MAC was horrible and we were horrible in noncon. This year we were bad in non con, but MAC is back. That 2009 team was perhaps the worst regular season champs in mid-American conference history.
User avatar
ZuluWarrior
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:19 pm

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby hammb » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:57 pm

ZuluWarrior wrote:Fair point - although an anamoly because the MAC was horrible and we were horrible in noncon. This year we were bad in non con, but MAC is back. That 2009 team was perhaps the worst regular season champs in mid-American conference history.


In retrospect that team really hurt the program. Gave Orr an undeserved extension for winning a 3 (or was it 4?) Way tie break in possibly the worst year for Mac hoops in memory.

This team is way beyond that one. Although Miller and Moten could play.
User avatar
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries
 
Posts: 12624
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:21 am
Location: Bowling Green

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby Rollo83 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:55 pm

ZuluWarrior wrote:Fair point - although an anamoly because the MAC was horrible and we were horrible in noncon. This year we were bad in non con, but MAC is back. That 2009 team was perhaps the worst regular season champs in mid-American conference history.


Don't think "MAC is back." Teams 25+ years ago still were better and had more talent than today's teams.

Buffalo showed during non-conference that they can play with just about anyone at the Power 5 level.

Other than that, the league is just average at best. Traditional powers (Ohio, Akron, Kent State & WMU) have been anywhere from awful to average.

I watched BG get blown out at the end of December by Cleveland State. Obviously, we've found some confidence or something since we hit MAC play. Hope we keep it going tonight.

Our non-conference record would most likely keep us from an at-large bid. Need to win the MAC Tourney.

But after all these years, with some really good teams, wouldn't it be ironic if this is the BG teams that breaks our NCAA streak?

Roll along!
"Windows are for cheaters, chimneys for the poor.
Closets are for hangers, winners use the door."

-B. Springsteen
User avatar
Rollo83
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:27 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby ZuluWarrior » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 pm

I can’t recall any teams in recent memory who has turned around from such a pedestrian non-conference record in any league.

However, no matter how hot we stay, we don’t win the MACC we don’t go to the big dance.

It’s great to see Buffalo getting at at-large kbid in just about every projection at this stage, regardless of winning the MACC. Buffalo goes, barring 2-3 more losses, because they have quality wins and quality losses.

I’ll re-state: Happy to see the MAC is much, much better!

Go BG! Roll Along!!
User avatar
ZuluWarrior
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 957
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:19 pm

Re: 2 sellouts in a row

Postby zete » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:09 am

Buffalo, playing like they can, could easily move into the Sweet 16 and then who-knows. A second MAC team would probably have a 13 or 14 seed and have trouble moving forward.
SAme old Same old
User avatar
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Next

Return to Men's Hoops

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest