vs. Miami (2/26)

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

vs. Miami (2/26)

Postby mbenecke » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:46 am

Another Tuesday night in the Stroh Center sees our BG men's basketball team taking on Miami (14-13, 6-8 MAC) at 7:00pm. If you are able to attend, I highly suggest you do so - our team is for real, and it deserves to see no less than 2,000 people there in the seats on Tuesday night. It's a traditional rivalry game, what more do you need to get psyched for this one? If you can't make it, the game is available for stream on ESPN+ ($) and for discussion right here on this board.

With a win in this game, BG would officially clinch a first-round bye straight to Cleveland. Currently sitting in 2nd place in the MAC, BG needs to win this game to keep the pace for the regular season MAC championship and the #1 overall seed in the MAC tournament. It's a "revenge game" of sorts, as Miami caught us overlooking them last time we played and they ended up beating us in their building. This time, I expect our guys to be ready from the jump and really take it to them, especially after Friday night's frustrating defeat in Athens. It's time to dump the "Miami Whammy" this year.

We have to get the job done, getting to win #20 overall and win #12 in MAC play. I'm hoping to see a lot of you there!

Go Falcons!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: vs. Miami (2/26)

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:04 pm

I'm heading to the Stroh now. Let's get this win tonight!
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rollo83 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:08 pm

This team is playing right now like it won't win another MAC game the rest of the season. Down 44-37 in second half.
"Windows are for cheaters, chimneys for the poor.
Closets are for hangers, winners use the door."

-B. Springsteen
Rollo83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:25 pm

Lazy defense and stupid ass offense.

This is the team picked last in the league and mediocre in OOC play. Better figure out out quick.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Rollo83 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:32 pm

When Wiggins takes 10+ shots , its usually not great for the Falcons.

-B. Springsteen
Rollo83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Matty B » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:39 pm

But hey, at least we're gonna take all our time outs home with us. Haven't seen a reason to call one or 4 yet :roll:
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby zete » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Not playing with much enthusiasm which is disturbing. Miami on the other hand played very spirited basketball. Miami sweeps and is better than us. Whammy!
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:48 pm

Blah...
Attachments
h0f6pas019sz.png
h0f6pas019sz.png (232.13 KiB) Viewed 795 times
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby BGMiner » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Bad loss. NIT hopes going down the tubes.
BGMiner
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 pm

Really bad loss. Miami is not a good basketball team and they hit 15 threes on us like it was nothing.

No energy at either end tonight. Really hard result for me to accept. Gotta bounce back on Friday against Kent State, but there's no guarantee we don't lose out...
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:17 pm

BGMiner wrote:Bad loss. NIT hopes going down the tubes.

CIT material
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Matty B » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:25 pm

Need to put this behind us and focus on Friday. A win at home on senior night means we can be no worse than the 3 seed and avoid buffalo until the final.

This of course assumes we somewhat resemble the team of a month ago. Hard to think about that now but I still believe this team can make a run in cleveland.
LONG LIVE THE MONGOOSE!!
Matty B
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:35 pm

Matty B wrote:Need to put this behind us and focus on Friday. A win at home on senior night means we can be no worse than the 3 seed and avoid buffalo until the final.

This of course assumes we somewhat resemble the team of a month ago. Hard to think about that now but I still believe this team can make a run in cleveland.

By all means, I'm not giving up. Heck, when we were down like 11 with about 6 minutes left, I was telling people I thought we were still going to win. I don't give up easy.

No time to waste - time to bounce back Friday and clinch a bye.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:45 pm

The team that hustles on defense and moves the ball on offense can make a run in Cleveland. The team that we've watched the past few games is toast.

We do not have enough talent to play this uninspired basketball. We vaulted to the top of the MAC by hustling every game. Our depth shined because our bench came in with great energy and played great team basketball on both ends of the court. We stopped relying on iso possessions on offense, we stopped feeding a horrible post scorer the ball on the block, we moved it around to shoot open 3s rather than step back off the dribble looks.

The team of the last 3 games has been almost none of that. We simply do not have the individual talent to play that type of basketball and win consistently, even against the bottom/middle tier MAC teams. This style of basketball is EXACTLY what we've played for the better part of 4 years and why we were picked last in the conference.

Whatever they found that inspired them to play good team basketball for 6-7 weeks needs to be found again. Or this season is going to end up finishing like last year.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Rollo83 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:58 am

I sat in Huger's post-game presser. He started with the obligatory "This is on me. I didn't do enough to get them ready to play." I knows that's coach speak 101 but hate the fall on the sword s**t.

Secondly, he said "We can't expect to win playing defense like we did tonight. We won't win again until they learn to give the effort to play good defense." We're 27 games in. You are who you are. Not much to learn at this point in the season.

At least 10 of Miami's 15 tonight 3-pointers were uncontested.

-B. Springsteen
Rollo83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Men's Hoops