BG was in a clip on the 30 For 30 on Felipe Lopez

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

BG was in a clip on the 30 For 30 on Felipe Lopez

Postby BGSU33 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:38 pm

I watched the 30 For 30 on Felipe Lopez last night and there was a short video clip of BG in a part of it, and it also had a BG twist to it too. BG played at St. John's in the second game of the 1994-95 season, and that was Lopez's first season at St. John's. As a matter of fact, it was only his second collegiate game. BG was at St. John's to play in the Lapchick Memorial Tournament and opened with a 72-67 win over Portland and before losing 77-64 to St John's. That was my sophomore year at BG and I remember it well. The team (coached by Jim Larranaga at the time) was excited to go open the season there with all the hype about Lopez at the time. The 30 For 30 shows a play where St. John's gets the ball ahead to Lopez with only Antonio Daniels to beat. Daniels half-heartedly attempted to disrupt Lopez's path to the basket and Lopez went behind the back with the ball while on the run and dunked it. Daniels, Jay Larranaga, James Cerisier, Shane Komives and Shane Kline-Ruminski were on the court during that clip. BG was pretty good that year, the highlight for me was beating Ohio State in Columbus. I know they weren’t very good that year, but it didn’t matter to me, I win over OSU is a win.

The twist with Antonio Daniels and Felipe Lopez is, when Lopez was drafted in 1998 by San Antonio, he was traded to Vancouver for Daniels, sending him to the Spurs. Daniels obviously played there several years and won an NBA Championship.

Anyway, I thought it was a good episode as I've liked most of the 30 For 30's I've watched. This one put me right back in the mid-1990's when I was falling in love with BG hoops and remembered that time like it was yesterday.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: BG was in a clip on the 30 For 30 on Felipe Lopez

Postby Antimob » Sun May 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Another BG connection that's popped up on ESPN of late:

Ex-TCU assistant Corey Barker, fired after being named in the FBI investigation accepting $6,000 to steer players to an agent, was on Chris Jans' staff at BG.
Antimob
Chick
Chick

Postby zete » Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 am

Antimob wrote:Another BG connection that's popped up on ESPN of late:

Ex-TCU assistant Corey Barker, fired after being named in the FBI investigation accepting $6,000 to steer players to an agent, was on Chris Jans' staff at BG.

Speaking of Jans, I see his teams at New Mexico St have gone 58-11 the last two years. This year, as a #14 seed, they lost by a point to Auburn in the First Round.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby HoopsFan » Wed May 08, 2019 7:11 pm

No one can deny that Jans is a good coach. Ethical, a fine human being, not so much.

Anyway this is from the university that took out the Gish theater over a female acting in a film 104 years ago that might be "offensive" to people who are long dead. Yeah, and the University was 5.

Go figure.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby Flipper » Wed May 08, 2019 8:56 pm

New Mexico State was a winner before Jans showed up there. In the past 15 seasons they've failed to win 20 twice. They also won 28 the year before Jans showed up.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... ico-state/
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby zete » Thu May 09, 2019 7:21 am

Flipper wrote:New Mexico State was a winner before Jans showed up there. In the past 15 seasons they've failed to win 20 twice. They also won 28 the year before Jans showed up.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... ico-state/

Yea, they are a good solid program since joining the WAC........taking Auburn to the wire went virtually unnoticed early in the tournament. I missed that game but wish I would have seen it as I am sure it was entertaining.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby HoopsFan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:48 pm

Is the cloud still over Barker? Now he's with Jans again. https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-spo ... all-staff/
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Return to Men's Hoops