Jinks.....Hahahahahahaha

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Jinks.....Hahahahahahaha

Postby BGSU33 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Let's see, Jinks has only coached one full season and two games into another. In that brief period of time, his teams have suffered two of the worst losses - EVER - in school history (two in his first four games). We've also lost to an FCS school for the first time in three decades, and have committed the most penalty yards in a game in school history under his direction. To say BG fans, alums and followers of the program shouldn't be upset or concerned about the direction and performance of this program under his control is ridiculous. Can you image the heat he'd be under at a bigger school? This is nothing. And the criticism isn't just because he's a new coach here at BG. A lot of it stems from the fact he was never a collegiate head coach anywhere, and what's more, BG wasn't even on his radar for the job, we had a search firm who contacted him about the position. His hiring seemed bizarre and his results have simply been horrible.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hammb » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 am

Globetrotter wrote:I have pretty much given up on College football but peek in here from time to time. I think the sport as a whole is broken and boring. The haves are moving aggressively away from the have nots. I have peeked in because I had hoped I would get sucked back in and that I was wrong. On the contrary I think I am unlikely to watch a down of BG football this year and it's possible that it could be ever again.

This is kinda where I'm at as well. Having a 2 year old at home I'm often around the house on weekends watching him run around. If I am, I'll turn the games on. LONG gone are the days where I'll plan my fall Saturdays around college football. Saturday we went out to enjoy the beautiful late summer/early fall day and tailgate. We had a blast and Dexter running around really enjoyed it. Then we watched BG football look like hot garbage on the field.

I don't anticipate I'll return to watch this team play again. If I'm bored, maybe I will, but that product is not worth going out of the way to see. And by product I largely mean college football in general. Every week there are a couple games worth watching, but on the whole the sport sucks. If we get some more nice weather days I hope we can get out to tailgate again, but don't know if I'd even bother going into the game again.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Flipper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 am

33...his hiring didn't seem bizarre...it WAS bizarre.

I truly hope Chris Kingston is happy doing whatever it is he's doing now, because he was a disaster as an AD. You don't hand over the keys to a program that's won multiple titles to a guy with next to zero experience in college so he can hire a bunch of guys with next to zero experience to help him. Jinks seems like a nice guy...and for the millionth time I hope we luck out and something clicks for him...but I'm rapidly losing any confidence in the notion that it will.

Odds are...we're going to pay this guy $2+ million to drive this thing into the ground. Will there be anything left to build on?
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Redwingtom » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Just a guess, but did they hire Jinks just because he was a coach at Texas Tech where they throw the ball like crazy...so the AD thought he'd be a great coach because we sort of did as well with Johnson during the Babers era?

Now, it seems that Jinks is likely more of a running coach...and in fact, he was mainly a RB coach at TT. The end of last year sort of pointed to that. And this year, he seems to want to continue that. Saturday was a perfect example. I believe if we upped the temp a bit and had more of a killer instinct instead of a prodding take-no-chance team in the first half that the game was still winnable.

Could these problems stem mainly from the fact that Babers built a team for up-tempo passing and Babers is trying to run a normal paced running offense?

Just spit-balling...looking for some reason to explain why they seem to stink so bad. ;) I hope this is the problem and that he will be able to turn this around next year, but I'm not holding my breath...especially when the players themselves APPEAR to be lackadaisical at best.
Redwingtom
Redwingtom
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Flipper wrote:I truly hope Chris Kingston is happy doing whatever it is he's doing now, because he was a disaster as an AD. You don't hand over the keys to a program that's won multiple titles to a guy with next to zero experience in college so he can hire a bunch of guys with next to zero experience to help him. Jinks seems like a nice guy...and for the millionth time I hope we luck out and something clicks for him...but I'm rapidly losing any confidence in the notion that it will.

Pretty much my thoughts and feelings too. He seems like a personable and polite guy. But he's been all over the charts with his coaching philosophy, which leads me to believe even he doesn't know. He looks downright confused and clueless right now.

Just over a year ago he talked about the pace we'd be operating, how we had some players good enough to play in the Big 12, how we were gonna sling the ball around. Well that all lasted about 4 games. Then 2 months later he said we want to be physical and run the ball down people's thoats. Which actually worked...but only against teams worse than we were. Looking back at it, winning those 3 games in a row at the end of season may have been detrimental to our team now. Not "that" we won, but when, how and who the wins were against. Don't get me wrong, yes I'm glad we won, but those of us familiar with the MAC know who those teams were and knew why we beat them, they stunk. But it's like our coaching staff saw it as fools gold and thought hey, we won playing that way (without much consideration for who they were playing) and their identity seemed to shift to now we could do it against anyone. Which obviously, we cannot. But, unfortunately, that was our new mindset and motive that we invested into all offseason and here we are again, befuddled and lost in the non-conference again with MAC play looming again.

The answer is we need to be able to do both. We must be able to throw and run. We can't just rely on one or the other. We need both. We don't need to be excellent at either, but we need to be at least good at both in order to be effective. This is what we did to become champions in this league. Some teams live and die by throwing the ball, others do by running it. For BG, in the MAC, in the Midwest, we have to establish balance and the ability to do both because when you become one dimensional and face a team that can stop you the way you want to play, it's over, you're done. But if you're established at at both and can stay balance or lean more heavily on one than the other while still being effective, then you're though to stop. That's how we were in 2013. We could run or pass and did well at both. Teams would try and take one away from us an we'd do the other and still did it well. Right now it's transparent we want to run, and when we can't run, we are extremely poor at throwing the ball. We can't protect, we can't pass and we can't catch with any big of efficiency, which has been our undoing ever since Jinks took over. Because up until 2015, we were still damn good at it (and had some damn good players who could do it too). Now, we look like an option team being told to try and pass protect and throw the ball. We look utterly confused and the lack of execution is glaring.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Jinks by all accounts is a good guy, I appreciate his candor when things don't go well. He handled some tough questions well today at his press conference, but I still think he's failing to grasp exactly what kind of coach he wants to be and what the strengths are of his team really are. It's hard to give the guy the benefit of the doubt though when in two of your ten losses you gave up 77 points and you lost at home to a FCS program. If this is major college football there's pink slips for the entire staff.

I'm trying to see the positive in him as a coach and outside of his recruiting so far, I'm failing to see much. You can't hire a guy that needs so much on the job experience as a head coach. Urban was the exception to the rule on that. My only hope is that at some point this year he begins the upward trend because if not, 2018 is going to be another painful season.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby hiway44 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:33 pm

Jinks is ok in my book. Winning solves everything and we will. Jink get the offense going and we will be good. It starts this week!!!
hiway44
Egg
Egg

Postby Kruks1207 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:58 pm

I spend a lot of time reading all the boards here but little time responding to posts. I'm a BG townie from birth. I grew up with BGSU football and watched and suffered through the late 90's. Was in school during the early 00's and am now a season ticket holder myself for multiple sports. For what's it worth here are my 2 cents.

One of the things that concerns me the most is the little to no coaching I see on the sidelines. Saturday's game would have been the perfect opportunity to coach the heck out of your guys and I didn't see it. The discipline and downright dump plays continue at an alarming rate. I see little to no improvement from a "young" team that had all off season to improve. We are "absolutely" going to ride out a QB who completes less that 40% of his passes at home in his second year as a starter? What concerns me most about #12 is he was missing what I would call "spot" throws bad. You don't have to hit your receiver just put the ball in the right spot for him to get there. Why is he missing these throws so bad? We don't use the middle of the field at all. Sometimes we send 2-3 receivers deep with crossing patterns or a check down in the middle of the field. Do we even have a TE?? Finally I see no team identity on offense or defense. Not only do we look confused, it looks like we don't even know what our philosophy is. I see this as the #1 problem with our team. Come up with our offensive and defensive philosophy, stick to it, work like hell on it week in and week out, and we should at least see improvement. However, I don't know how much worse it can be than losing by 70+ twice then opening up the next season at home losing to an FCS opponent that just straight up beat us down. We didn't even compete Saturday.
Kruks1207
Egg
Egg

Postby slashba33 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:39 pm

I said these things last year after the first 3 games getting BLASTED by OSU, squeaking past N. Dakota, and DESTROYED by Memphis that this guy is in over his head and people on here thought I was crazy!! Yes, he is a great guy, very likable and a good recruiter. A players coach without question. BUT, he has proven over and over again to not be prepare or even make game time adjustments to compete in college football. Everyone has given several examples of coaching issues because that's what they are. We are not a talent-less team that gets manhandled by ANY FCS school. I said last year we were doomed with a quick and unfounded hire by Kingston for 5 YEARS!!! Does anyone remember Gerry Faust?? This is our version of that story.

Hearing the NW score before kickoff Saturday, I thought we really should have a chance, but now :vom: . Still going to the game to see the NW campus and visit with my brother who lives near Chicago and that's about it. Two years ago we were beating Big Ten teams... #-o
BG Warrior!!
1 of 5 BG Alumni in the Family!
slashba33
Egg
Egg

Postby Clubber » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:37 am

Caught the tail end of the ESPNU radio show this morning with Greg McIlroy. They were discussing how bad NW looked against Duke.
They then started joking that this weekend's game against BG and Mike Jinks may be close. Sarcastically saying, "it should be a real nail biter". The basic premise of the joke was that BG is awful.
That's where our program is in less than 2 years. Laughing stock.
Clubber
Egg
Egg

Postby ikenyon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Honestly, none of this is Mike Jinks' fault. I kind of feel bad for the guy. You have to think he's doing everything he can to win. It's his first HC gig, might not ever seen another one after this.

It's not like Jinks' is some proven commodity (in the way Clawson/Babers were coming in with a track record of success) where we can say, "Just be patient guys, he has a vision here." Or even in a way where we can rip on the style of play/coaching style (Ahem, "That game was on our offense, we had to punt once" type of answers when discussing losing 51-48 style games). And debate whether or not it'll work long term. You can just tell that he's completely in over his head.

What's really frustrating about all of this is it's all on Kingston/the administration. It was a stupid hire when it was announced and it's a stupid hire now. They locked themselves into a 5-year contract (with basically no outs, because BGSU isn't buying out 3+ years of a contract) to a guy who was coaching high school ball 5 years ago and spent three seasons as a RB coach for a .500 big-12 team. (You could also note here that Jinks kind of rode the coat tails of the top HS RB in the country, Malcolm Brown, to get that Texas Tech gig... and then road the coat tails of Kliff Kingsbury to get the BG gig).

To that last point.... JInks was 76-18 as a HS head coach, was 43-4 when he had Malcolm Brown. Means he was 33-14 without him. It's not like he was leading some ridiculous juggernaut for years down there.

And moreover he's never really proven that he can build a program, install a culture, and be the face of a program. I guess you could argue this was his shot to do it, but I'd like to think BGSU is more of a second stop than a first stop (Clawson-Richmond, Babers-Eastern Ill.) or if it is a guy's first stop, more of an offensive or defensive guru who handles play calling duty at a huge program but will never supplant the HC.

But it's not Jinks' fault that he got that contract. What it really comes down to is that he probably never deserved it. And it's the administration's fault for handing it out.

Chris Kingston had some good hires, but the handling of the Chris Jans situation PLUS this hire to end his tenure is just a complete embarrassment.

What's as frustrating as anything is the lack of hope. It's not like BG can just buy out this contract and start over and look for a 2019-20 success. This program is likely a cellar dwellar until 2022-23 at the earliest. Basically until they can either afford to buy out JInks' contract or let it expire, and then hire someone to rebuild the program. And that's assuming they hire someone who actually does it in 2-3 years.
ikenyon
Egg
Egg

Postby guest44 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 pm

[quote="ikenyon"]Honestly, none of this is Mike Jinks' fault. I kind of feel bad for the guy. You have to think he's doing everything he can to win. It's his first HC gig, might not ever seen another one after this.

It's not like Jinks' is some proven commodity (in the way Clawson/Babers were coming in with a track record of success) where we can say, "Just be patient guys, he has a vision here." Or even in a way where we can rip on the style of play/coaching style (Ahem, "That game was on our offense, we had to punt once" type of answers when discussing losing 51-48 style games). And debate whether or not it'll work long term. You can just tell that he's completely in over his head.

What's really frustrating about all of this is it's all on Kingston/the administration. It was a stupid hire when it was announced and it's a stupid hire now. They locked themselves into a 5-year contract (with basically no outs, because BGSU isn't buying out 3+ years of a contract) to a guy who was coaching high school ball 5 years ago and spent three seasons as a RB coach for a .500 big-12 team. (You could also note here that Jinks kind of rode the coat tails of the top HS RB in the country, Malcolm Brown, to get that Texas Tech gig... and then road the coat tails of Kliff Kingsbury to get the BG gig).

To that last point.... JInks was 76-18 as a HS head coach, was 43-4 when he had Malcolm Brown. Means he was 33-14 without him. It's not like he was leading some ridiculous juggernaut for years down there.

And moreover he's never really proven that he can build a program, install a culture, and be the face of a program. I guess you could argue this was his shot to do it, but I'd like to think BGSU is more of a second stop than a first stop (Clawson-Richmond, Babers-Eastern Ill.) or if it is a guy's first stop, more of an offensive or defensive guru who handles play calling duty at a huge program but will never supplant the HC.

But it's not Jinks' fault that he got that contract. What it really comes down to is that he probably never deserved it. And it's the administration's fault for handing it out.

Chris Kingston had some good hires, but the handling of the Chris Jans situation PLUS this hire to end his tenure is just a complete embarrassment.

What's as frustrating as anything is the lack of hope. It's not like BG can just buy out this contract and start over and look for a 2019-20 success. This program is likely a cellar dwellar until 2022-23 at the earliest. Basically until they can either afford to buy out JInks' contract or let it expire, and then hire someone to rebuild the program. And that's assuming they hire someone who actually does it in 2-3 years.[/quote

Bingo....... Kingston bailed on his mess, left BG with awful contracts everywhere, and his staff who is probably struggling to make BG the stepping stone it was intended to be.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Clubber » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 pm

BG Athletics has been a mess for 10 years. Christopher was only about building his resume and making himself look good. Kingston tried to come in guns blazing, but quickly realized he had no money and no real donor base to draw from. Moose seems to be trying to right the ship, but he's got nothing to work with.

Bottom line is that BGSU doesn't care about Athletics. It essentially supports 6 sports and treats everyone else like club programs. If BGSU cared they'd invest more financially in athletics.

Also, when is BG going to stop handing out 5 year contracts that they can't buy out? Start making the maximum length 3 years and quit signing coaches to extensions after one decent year. If that means you lose some potential coaches, so be it. We don't have the budget to be like everyone else, so stop trying to be everyone else. Be smarter and start making these revenue coaches earn their money. It isn't rocket science.
Clubber
Egg
Egg

Postby guest44 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 am

It's not just 5 year contracts. Huger got the same 6 year contract it took to originally land Chris Jans. So every agent going forward will get BG to give 6 years.
guest44
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby HoopsFan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am

It seems the difference is the sport. In basketball, Huger probably deserved a 6 year contract, I'm against extensions, and Jinks? Why give an unknown a 5-year contract? Geeze, with State benefits, I'D take the job. I'm not a coach, but what kind of cake job is that? No coaching experience and they give him FIVE effing years to "prove" himself.

In passing on the Jans thing, yeah, the horse is dead, I have the odd idea that they were just waiting on Jans to step in it. They probably knew it was a bad hire within the first few months. They just needed him to do something stupid.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

PreviousNext

Return to Football