Spring game

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Spring game

Postby MarkL » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Spring game will be next Saturday. Wish I could go but that is a few states too far.

I would love to hear what the team looks like. I have not heard too much from spring practice reports. I've heard about how the culture of the team is changing, how guys are hustling all through practice, and how the defense is up and down. I have not heard what kind of formations are being run on offense, what the tempo is like, what kind of defense, the dropoff between starters and backups, etc.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Spring game

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:20 pm

not sure who thought it was a good idea to put the spring game the day before Easter
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Postby Tony4BG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Weather not looking good once again. When do they usually announce if moving inside?
Tony4BG
Chick
Chick

Postby fulch » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:53 am

Any word on if the game will be moved inside?
fulch
Egg
Egg

Postby mbenecke » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:01 am

Nothing definitive either way, but the twitter did say something about the Spring game at the Doyt "rain or shine" about a day ago, so I'm guessing it likely won't be moved unless there is severe weather.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:37 am

Game will be at The Doyt unless there's lightning.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:25 pm

After listening to post spring game interviews, three observations.
- I like Loeffler a lot. He knows football through and through. He is very frank about himself and the team. He talks well and seems like a high character and funny guy. Players call him crazy and say he is working hard on fundamentals. He reminds me a lot of Clawson.
- Loeffler is setting the bar low. Normally spring ball is about fundamentals. Like tackling, catching, clean blocking, footwork, etc. What did Loeffler say is the biggest improvement so far? "Football positioning". Meaning how you angle your body, how you position yourself for success on any play. Football positioning is about as fundamental as it gets. This is going to be a long build.
- Numbers are a concern, and Loeffler was frank about that. There are many unfilled scholarships due to attrition. There was only one healthy scholarship back today (note, spring ball is incredibly conservative about player health where an injury sidelines a player that would normally just miss a few plays in a game). I'm pretty sure there will be freshmen starting on defense at all three levels. The bad news is that does not bode well for 2019, or maybe even 2020. The good news is the future should be strong if young guys are playing early.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:00 pm

MarkL wrote:- Loeffler is setting the bar low.

Good. Mike Jinks, bless his heart, was really bad at this.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Return to Football