New Verbal

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

New Verbal

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:56 pm

BG has received a verbal today (1-6)...from : Alex Nossaman..WR..6'3", 195, 4.65 speed.. 3.0GPA from Bryan HS.... Anyone know much more about him? This is our 1st verbal in quite awhile, at least since the RB from Ill. Since this is almost "closing time" for recruiting, I'd think we should see more coming... with 22 Srs leaving...there should be room for several more (now at 17)...

BTW, anyone know anything about something I'd heard or read about awhile back...that BG only has about FIFTY or so players actually on scholarship? Hard to believe that 35 kids were either suspended, ineligible, quit etc. to get actual scholarship kids to that low a number.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: New Verbal

Postby Flipper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:52 pm

I think that number was 55 scholarship players dressed to play....some of the shortfall coming from suspensions, some from NCAA mandated reductions and some from redshirting kids from last year's class....

The bitching and moaning about Nossaman's lack of speed at 4.65 in the 40 starts in 3...2...1...
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby mmisbg » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:27 pm

A buddy of mine teaches at Bryan. he says the kid is a solid possession reciever.

Besides, i think we did pretty well with a reciever possessing a 40 time similar to that this past season.
mmisbg
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby daspollak » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:55 pm

You're only allowed to sign 20 or 25 players per signing period. So even if we are short we will still be short after early Feb.
Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE.
daspollak
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgsufn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 pm

I call all the Bryan High School games on our local TV station. Alex is a good receiver and great kid. He always seems to be able to make the clutch catch in big situations. He is really good at anticipating where the ball will be. He is great at the fade in the corner of the end zone.

Alex is also a great baseball player - I actually thought he'd play baseball in college. He has also played hoops except for his junior year. He excels in all he does.

I'll try to grab some footage and upload it.
Chris Malanga ('97)
Veteran of BGSU Radio

"If you wanted to be a Buckeye, you should have gone to OSU. You're a Falcon. Accept it. Be proud." - Lizzie Keller, BG News Column
bgsufn
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgsufn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:09 pm

This isn't our footage, but here are some good highlights:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1153%5C729417.wmv

Here's his rivals page:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... aman-72707
Chris Malanga ('97)
Veteran of BGSU Radio

"If you wanted to be a Buckeye, you should have gone to OSU. You're a Falcon. Accept it. Be proud." - Lizzie Keller, BG News Column
bgsufn
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:40 am

Like most good receivers, he seems to run faster when he catches the ball...a lot of DB's weren't able to catch him on the hi-lites... I like the fact that we're taking a tall WR... right now, we've got a couple of guys in the 6'1", 6'2" range, but if the 6'3"islegit...he makes a bigger target...also could, with added weight, be a possible TE down the way.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:43 pm

daspollak wrote:You're only allowed to sign 20 or 25 players per signing period. So even if we are short we will still be short after early Feb.

I know that 20 is NOT the Max. number of signees in a year...25 MIGHT be, but many schools seem to "oversign" and it works out somehow...perhaps this is where the "gray shirting" comes into play.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby daspollak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:07 pm

Class of 61 wrote:
daspollak wrote:You're only allowed to sign 20 or 25 players per signing period. So even if we are short we will still be short after early Feb.

I know that 20 is NOT the Max. number of signees in a year...25 MIGHT be, but many schools seem to "oversign" and it works out somehow...perhaps this is where the "gray shirting" comes into play.

Many large schools will offer more than they can take in, with the thought that some may change their mind or may not be eligible. If they still have more commits they may offer them preferred walk-on status, and that may allow them to offer a scholly later on with out it counting towards their annual limit. All I know is that it is confusing, because you're only allowed to have 75 on scholarship.
Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach PE.
daspollak
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

The limit is 85...the minimum is 76.5 to stay 1 A....the max number you can sign is 25.

Here's a nice, informative link....

http://www.ehow.com/way_5270059_ncaa-fo ... lines.html
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby rocketfootball » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:59 pm

You are only allowed to bring in 25 scholarship players per recruiting class, but technically you can sign as many as you want. Some teams over sign knowing that some players won't be eligible and will never enroll. Others sign more than 25 because they either are enrolling in January and are counting towards the previous class, or they are greyshirting and not enrolling until the following January and will be counted to the next recruiting class.

South Florida is a perfect example of a school over signing. They often sign near 30 players on signing day. Last year they actually had 26 that were eligible and ready to enroll, so their academic office denied enrollment to one of the players to keep them at the 25 scholarship players per class.

The maximum overall scholarships allowed in the program is 85.

Of course both the initial 25 number and the overall 85 number can be reduced as sanctions for either a low APR score or violations that the school, conference, and/or NCAA could sanction the school for.
rocketfootball
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby duckunder53 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:36 pm

I like to see BG sign local players, hopefully this helps bring in more fans! The class is rounding into shape. I am sure there are players that we don't know about. I hope we can keep the kids we have verballed; it stinks having lost the couple we lost.
BGSU Class of '07
duckunder53
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby moneymaker02 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:21 pm

hopefully clawson will follow urbans strategy and get what he can in ohio and then head right back down south for position players, namely WR's and DB's
moneymaker02
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby falconjw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm

moneymaker02 wrote:hopefully clawson will follow urbans strategy and get what he can in ohio and then head right back down south for position players, namely WR's and DB's

That strategy got us in trouble with Brandon. His first couple of classes were southern boys with speed, who ultimately led to us losing scholarships because of their transfers and academic problems.
falconjw
Egg
Egg

Postby Rollo83 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:58 pm

falconjw wrote:
moneymaker02 wrote:hopefully clawson will follow urbans strategy and get what he can in ohio and then head right back down south for position players, namely WR's and DB's

That strategy got us in trouble with Brandon. His first couple of classes were southern boys with speed, who ultimately led to us losing scholarships because of their transfers and academic problems.

I agree. When we go down south and pluck talented players its usually because we are taking a player with risks...either academically or character...or both.

There have been exceptions but few and far in between.
"You're born with nothing, and better off that way.
Soon as you got something they send, somebody to try and take it away."

-B. Springsteen
Rollo83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Football
-->