Hey guys, so I went to the scrimmage Saturday and here are my thoughts:
I thought first of all that Wagner had an excellent write-up on the scrimmage http://www.toledoblade.com/BGSU/2012/04/01/Level-of-play-rises-in-BG-scrimmage.html
- The team as a whole is about 5 times ahead of where they were last year at this time. You can defiantly tell the team is stronger, faster, and going to be much more explosive on both sides of the ball.
- Although Jordan and Cooper will be missed, I don't think that we are going to skip a beat at the position. Je'Ron Stokes particularly looked great and on the first play from scrimmage breaking a few tackles, reversed field, and took a what would of been 5 yard play into a huge 40 yard gain on the sidelines.
- Schilz looks great. He is without a doubt the leader of this team and looked much more comfortable in the pocket than he did last year.
- Don't be surprised if they find a spot for DJ Lynch on the defense. He had a spectacular INT leaping about 5 feet in the air and had a nice run back - Although Woods and Swan will start at the LB position, he is just too good of an athlete not to be on the field somewhere.
- The young DB's played well! I thought that their coverage was solid and made some great plays knocking balls out of receivers hands.
- New faces on the Dline also played well. Based on what I saw, I think we'll be able to get more pressure on opposing QB's when we do not blitz - even if Jones is double teamed.
- Oline had some ups and downs, but I think they played solid overall. I really like the move of Roussos to guard - I though he had a good day. Cooper had a good day at LT - The Oline will be solid, especially in the middle with Robinson, Roussos, and Flewellyn. I do think depth has a chance to be an issue though - as I didn't think the 2nd team Oline played very well. Hopefully they prove me wrong and rebound next week.
- Schmiedebusch was kicking 50 yard bombs out of the end-zone and had every ball roll forward when they hit the turf - Just a usual day at the office for him.
- Stein had a rough start but rebounded nicely. The job for the starting kicker will be open, but its Stein's to take. Just needs to kick well from start to finish.
This team has a chance to be very, very good - all the pieces are there for them to make a run this year. No doubt about it.