Looking forward to Kansas State

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: Looking forward to Kansas State

Postby gspointer » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:26 pm

We are not going to compete for much other than avoiding last place in the MAC. I love the falcons but that is where we are.
gspointer
Chick
Chick

Postby jpfalcon09 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Thoroughly unimpressed today with Wade. 6th year senior looks like a true freshman. Put Loy in the 2nd half.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby drumstix2388 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I appreciate what Wade did last game, but he looks awful out there today. Can’t really figure out why Loy wouldn’t be getting some playing time at this point.
Twitter is @MachiaBilly
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby gspointer » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Wade does not look like the answer here
gspointer
Chick
Chick

Postby footballguy51 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Wade looks lost out there. I do have to wonder if we were rotating Wade, Loy, and McDonald with the first team waiting for the waiver to clear and therefore nobody is comfortable starting.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rollo83 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:17 pm

When we ran a spread offense it at least gave us a shot against Power 5 opponents. But when we line up in a pro-style offense and try to run straight at the bigger teams, we have little or no chance.

Clawson ran a hybrid offense with a tight end. Babers' was a pure spread. I realize we had much better athletes on those teams, but we were able to at least compete with (or beat) those bigger teams then.

Maybe today was just execution problems? Maybe this offense will work against MAC teams?

Got to give coach a chance to bring in his guys to run his offense. We knew this was going to be painful for awhile.
"Windows are for cheaters, chimneys for the poor.
Closets are for hangers, winners use the door."

-B. Springsteen
Rollo83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Rough. Loeffler inherited a mess and it showed today. I thought we may make some noise in this one for a while but that didn't happen. Loeffler has a major build job in front of him.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TommyG » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:31 pm

MarkL wrote:Rough. Loeffler inherited a mess and it showed today. I thought we may make some noise in this one for a while but that didn't happen. Loeffler has a major build job in front of him.

MAC must not be on notice anymore?
TommyG
Egg
Egg

Postby Tony4BG » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:56 pm

I was hoping it would be close at least until 2nd half. Relentless effort today by K St. Wade looked off today but would make sense since split one reps with McDonald last week. At least now moving forward Loeffler knows it’s down to Wade and Loy.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby jpfalcon09 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:02 pm

First shutout since 2012, a 37-0 loss to VA Tech.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:02 pm

I didn't get a chance to watch the game. I don't live in or near Ohio. Fox Sports was showing other games. Also couldn't stream it. So I did some yard work while listening to the Michigan game.

Looking at the stats, it seems we were just out muscled. That easy. Outrushed by around 250 yards. When Loeffler inherits guys that I, a computer nerd who runs an Android forensics blog, can outlift pretty easily, there's a problem. Obviously a year with a new S&C coach goes a long way but this will be a many year process to get the team strong and fit enough to compete a level up.

As for Clair. Apparently he had a minor injury. Seems to me the coaches decided not to risk him on a money game where he, despite his talents, would not make a difference. Understood. Clawson did the same at WVU.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 pm

The defense had its moments. On passes, they looked mostly good (Knowles and his QB hitting bullseyes were unstoppable on a handful of plays), and the pass rushed faired ok. On runs they had no chance; K-State pushed them around any way they wished. Put the guys in the weight room and they'll turn out ok eventually.

The offense was a whole other level of mess. Wade missed throws the cheerleaders could have made and clearly didn't deserve to be on the field after the half.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby FalconTurf » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Listening to the game on the radio as time allowed Todd Walker said at one point (wish I had DVR on the radio to make sure I heard correctly) we have 70 scholarship players at BG compared to the limit of 85 for DI - A. This creates an even bigger than normal disparity of depth issue for a mid-major vs P5 contest. I think we will see progress this year but it obviously wasn't today and it is doubtful it will happen in South Bend.

There is a fine line between reality and making excuses. Nobody likes excuses but the reality is we are not ready to compete against a team at this level. It was fortunate the current staff was in place for this game in my opinion. The preceding staff's mess would not allow any coach to come in and instantly turn the program around let alone compete as well as the team did today.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Loeffler said after the game that Matt McDonald had won the starting QB job in camp, so for him to lose his waiver appeal is especially disappointing.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:35 pm

footballguy51 wrote:Wade looks lost out there. I do have to wonder if we were rotating Wade, Loy, and McDonald with the first team waiting for the waiver to clear and therefore nobody is comfortable starting.

He was working at a Home Depot two months ago. His timing is part of the problem.

As far as playing a Big 12 school: I expect to win some of these games. Today we knew would be tough. I honestly didn’t think it would be this tough. But it is what it is. We now know where we are and how far we have to go.

That was a thorough beat down. But the program is in good hands.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

PreviousNext

Return to Football