What happened?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: What happened?

Postby Flipper » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:43 pm

zete makes an excellent point...midweek MACtion is a drag on fan support
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby falconfan1999 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:25 am

Flipper wrote:zete makes an excellent point...midweek MACtion is a drag on fan support

For Those of us with kids and/or work that don’t live in the back yard of the school, week night games are basically impossible to attend.

There are some good points on here, and i do understand what you’re saying. I don’t understand how it is that there aren’t newer alumni joining our ranks. Surely There are Plenty of new alumni. I wish many of them felt the same passion for the school that many of us do/did.
"It's not fast food, it's good food quickly!"
falconfan1999
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:17 am

Joined in 3/17 so seems same to me
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby hammb » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:29 am

Lots of good points on here.

Firstly the weeknight games are absolutely horrible for fanbases. Both building a fanbase and retaining one. When they started it was big matchups that got put on ESPN or ESPN2. Big matchups could drive the fans to going out of their way to attend those games, and it made those big matchups more readily available for the away team/road fans. Over time however they've put every crap matchup of the late season into those timeslots. It is a chore to actually attend those games; so much so that I dropped my season tickets because I got tired of finding nobody to attend with me and having it impossible to give the tickets away even. And that was with me able to see the Doyt lights from my backyard. Now that I'm further away there is zero chance I'm attending those weeknight games, and most likely won't ever purchase season tickets again.

That change wasn't instant. It took a long time and a lot of years for the fanbases to erode and really feel the effects of those weeknight games, but we're feeling now.

Of course there is also the aforementioned dwindling of traffic in web forums in general. The bulk of us that post here are those that did not grow up with our entire lives on Facebook/Twitter, even if most of us have adopted those platforms as well. Most of current alumni in their 20s have probably grown up with Twitter or Facebook as their preferred platform for discussing things such as sports.

Of course the current state of the team also plays a role, but I think we saw forum posts/traffic dwindling before the team went downhill. I doubt even after things get turned around that we'll see traffic go up.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby drumstix2388 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:03 pm

hammb wrote:Lots of good points on here.

Firstly the weeknight games are absolutely horrible for fanbases. Both building a fanbase and retaining one. When they started it was big matchups that got put on ESPN or ESPN2. Big matchups could drive the fans to going out of their way to attend those games, and it made those big matchups more readily available for the away team/road fans. Over time however they've put every crap matchup of the late season into those timeslots. It is a chore to actually attend those games; so much so that I dropped my season tickets because I got tired of finding nobody to attend with me and having it impossible to give the tickets away even. And that was with me able to see the Doyt lights from my backyard. Now that I'm further away there is zero chance I'm attending those weeknight games, and most likely won't ever purchase season tickets again.

That change wasn't instant. It took a long time and a lot of years for the fanbases to erode and really feel the effects of those weeknight games, but we're feeling now.

Of course there is also the aforementioned dwindling of traffic in web forums in general. The bulk of us that post here are those that did not grow up with our entire lives on Facebook/Twitter, even if most of us have adopted those platforms as well. Most of current alumni in their 20s have probably grown up with Twitter or Facebook as their preferred platform for discussing things such as sports.

Of course the current state of the team also plays a role, but I think we saw forum posts/traffic dwindling before the team went downhill. I doubt even after things get turned around that we'll see traffic go up.

I agree that the weeknight games are a real drag on local fanbases, which is visibly apparent during games, but as someone who hasn't lived in Ohio since I graduated in 2010, I love the midweek MACtion. It allows me to watch all of the conference games during the week, and catch BG on TV a lot more often (although ESPN3 has solved a lot of that, now).
Twitter is @MachiaBilly
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby kdog27 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm just here to post pad.
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby kdog27 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:32 pm

B
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby kdog27 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:32 pm

G
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:41 pm

S
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:43 pm

U
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby RangerRocket » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:40 pm

cks... (3600 days and going up)
RangerRocket
Chick
Chick

Postby Tony4BG » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:14 pm

What timing by Ranger..
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Falcon Commander » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:27 pm

that's Mr Rump Ranger!
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby kdog27 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:26 pm

RangerRocket wrote:cks... (3600 days and going up)

We're so bad I actually considered doing this.
kdog27
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Lord_Byron » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:42 am

I'm not on Facebook and Twitter is a fetid sewer, so by habit, I still come here and check in. Based on the posts in this thread, I think that there are probably still a lot of old-timers doing the same.

It's still nice to connect with fellow alums. . .
BG '79

Twitter: @Vapid_Inanities
Lord_Byron
Minister of Silly Walks
Minister of Silly Walks

PreviousNext

Return to Football