Redshirts

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Redshirts

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:32 am

Besides usual Freshman, who else looking to Redshirt?

McBride and Clair?
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Re: Redshirts

Postby mbenecke » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:34 am

My assumption is that McBride will get a redshirt. He only played in 4, and he's out for the year.

I'm not sure about Clair. I think it makes some sense, but I don't know if they ultimately will or not. If he does, he has 2 years left after this year.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 am

How many games has Noah Massey played in?
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby mbenecke » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:24 pm

Tony4BG wrote:How many games has Noah Massey played in?

From the stats I see, just 3.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:14 am

Loeffler should approach this much like Clawson did in 2010 and redshirt as many kids as possible to help with depth issues. No issue redshirting Clair and company if it means the program is in better shape 2-3 years from now.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Beaker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 am

I would absolutely redshirt Clair at this point. He's the best talent on the team and to burn a year of his eligibility for the very limited time he's played and on a year when we don't complete for a conference title or a bowl would be a shame. Save that extra year for 2021 when this program could potentially have a big year. We are ok at running back now and I don't see Clair's return (probably at less than 100% healthy) as being a determining factor on how we end up this season. With all the time he's spent on the field the last couple years, I'm sure it would be incredibly difficult for him to sit out the rest of the year, but it would be better for the program and probably better for him, personally in the long run.
Beaker
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Clair
Massey
McBride

All three make sense.

I'd imagine we will see a lot of Freshman play in last four games as well.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby mbenecke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Tony4BG wrote:Clair
Massey
McBride

All three make sense.

I'd imagine we will see a lot of Freshman play in last four games as well.

Yes, Coach said in his presser this week that his plan to play lots of young guys in the final 4 weeks to get them some game reps.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Siborg » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:44 pm

I noticed at least 2 more frosh playing today. I believe its their 1st of the 4 they can play and still redshirt. With Davon Jones out, I expected Raymore or Sealy might get some time.

21 5.10, 223, Fr, Treveon Raymore(WO)
86 6.04, 170, Fr, Tyron Broden
Siborg
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGSU33 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:10 pm

Beaker wrote:I would absolutely redshirt Clair at this point. He's the best talent on the team and to burn a year of his eligibility for the very limited time he's played and on a year when we don't complete for a conference title or a bowl would be a shame. Save that extra year for 2021 when this program could potentially have a big year. We are ok at running back now and I don't see Clair's return (probably at less than 100% healthy) as being a determining factor on how we end up this season. With all the time he's spent on the field the last couple years, I'm sure it would be incredibly difficult for him to sit out the rest of the year, but it would be better for the program and probably better for him, personally in the long run.

I agree with this if....and I can’t emphasize the word IF enough....Clair intends to actually stay at BG. If he has any plans or thoughts of jumping ship via the transfer portal down the road then I’m 100% against banking a year so he can wipe his feet on BG and go play his final year or two somewhere else. And that logic isn’t directed just towards Clair, that goes for anyone. Clair is arguably our best player on the team and we could really use his help right now. If he intends to stay at BG, which I would love to see, then yes, I think it makes complete sense to redshirt him. But if redshirting him means we save a year for him to leave us and go play for someone else, then no way. I’m growing extremely tired of seeing it done that way. If I’m a coach and have players who can play, they’re going to play. The idea of redshirting them to save or have them down the road used to be a wise decision, but to see a kid recruited by a school, developed by a school and supported by a school up and leave that school competely changed my mindset on that topic. And before anyone brings up the comparison of a coach leaving his team for another school, let me be clear, I’m against many of the ways that is done and handled as well. But back to the topic, if Clair wants and will be here at BG for his career, then I hope he does redshirt this season. He has a chance to go down in the record books as one of the best RB’s at BG. I hope we see it happen.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tony4BG » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:11 am

I didn't see Noah Massey this past game on sidelines.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Tony4BG » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:46 am

McBride wasn't listed for Senior Day so assume that's a sign he will Redshirt.
Tony4BG
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:14 am

Clair played right?
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby mbenecke » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:04 am

Globetrotter wrote:Clair played right?

Correct. Loeffler said after the game that they are considering all options. It was his 4th game, so he burns this year if he plays again.

I think it's possible that they wanted to get him in one more time so he could play with this senior class at the Doyt again. I hope the plan is to hold him out the rest of the year - really could use him in a few years.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:08 am

I think he played because he helps you beat Akron. He may not have enough to help us beat anyone remaining.... he needs surgery I am told.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Next

Return to Football