Coaching Search

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: Coaching Search

Postby Flipper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:42 am

The WHL is STACKED with talent this year...(not quite as stacked as the US NTDP..but still) you're looking at four of the top 8-10 prospects (Byram, Dach, Cozens, Krebs) in this year' NHL draft coming out of the WHL . Anyone who can achieve success in a league with that much talent deserves a look as our HC
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby MarkL » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:25 am

Williams' one year as interim HC playing Paluch's mess of a team wasn't pretty but he got those guys playing hard. Harder than Paluch generally got them playing. I thought Williams should have gotten a look at the HC position then. Obviously I'm glad with how things turned out under Bergeron.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Without getting into too many details, Willy’s departure from BG was less than positive. That was with GC as AD though.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:52 pm

BGDrew wrote:Without getting into too many details, Willy’s departure from BG was less than positive. That was with GC as AD though.

If true, this surprises no one who's been paying attention to what happened with BG athletics under his "leadership". Hard to believe one man could cause such a massive train wreck...but he sure as hell did.

Hopefully, it will have no bearing on the decision Williams makes, if he is offered the job.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby pdt1081 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:01 pm

MarkL wrote:Williams' one year as interim HC playing Paluch's mess of a team wasn't pretty but he got those guys playing hard. Harder than Paluch generally got them playing. I thought Williams should have gotten a look at the HC position then. Obviously I'm glad with how things turned out under Bergeron.

That interim season, Williams made it more about life than hockey. I was one that wanted the interim tag removed. But, looking back, there were some very hard decisions that needed made to move the program forward. Williams's relationship with the players as an assistant coach would have made those decisions extremely difficult (there were a lot of players that left early in Bergeron's first few years). I can understand having the "outsider" come in to right the ship. It happened quicker by doing so. But I don't think Williams got enough of a look at continuing as head coach.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgbill » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:06 pm

GC hired CB.
Williams was not taken seriously by some of the players. Then again, hockey was not taken seriously by some of the players.
All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds.
bgbill
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:08 pm

bgbill wrote:GC hired CB.
Williams was not taken seriously by some of the players. Then again, hockey was not taken seriously by some of the players.

Whether that was part of the assistant coach relationship with players or not, I don't know. There's a reason it's often difficult for an assistant coach to move into a head coach position for the same team.

If Bylsma, Wilson, or Hills was the first choice for Moose there would have been an announcement already (provided they accepted). There's also the possibility of an assistant coach that was participating in the Frozen Four. I'm just looking at the 2-6 week comment, and the WHL playoffs will be over at that 6 week mark. Seems like Moose at least wants to talk to him and has the professional courtesy to wait until his season is over.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Falconwriter wrote:
BGDrew wrote:Without getting into too many details, Willy’s departure from BG was less than positive. That was with GC as AD though.

If true, this surprises no one who's been paying attention to what happened with BG athletics under his "leadership". Hard to believe one man could cause such a massive train wreck...but he sure as hell did.

Hopefully, it will have no bearing on the decision Williams makes, if he is offered the job.

I don't mean to start a firestorm here. GC hired Dave Clawson and Chris Bergeron. Perhaps the two most successful coaching hires in any sport since I began following the Falcons. Both righted some badly misguided ships and built programs from the ashes into contenders. I personally knew GC. He helped me during my transition to Purdue. I hold no animosity towards him. Never have and never will.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Hockey John » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:02 pm

MarkL wrote:
Falconwriter wrote:

I don't mean to start a firestorm here. GC hired Dave Clawson and Chris Bergeron. Perhaps the two most successful coaching hires in any sport since I began following the Falcons. Both righted some badly misguided ships and built programs from the ashes into contenders. I personally knew GC. He helped me during my transition to Purdue. I hold no animosity towards him. Never have and never will.

If GC had his way he would not have hired Bergeron as there would be no hockey program so I can not give him credit for anything as far as hockey is concerned. Clawson was a great hire. We haven't been the same since he left.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby mbenecke » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:57 pm

It's possible this doesn't mean anything for us, but Bergeron has let his assistants at Miami know that they will not be retained. It's possible that this opens the door for one or both of our assistants to join him in Oxford.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:42 pm

I'm not surprised by this given the CHN article at the beginning of all this though I thought he'd keep Mannino.

However, I was surprised by your earlier comment that Barry announced to the team he was staying. Any further word on that?

Any rumblings about current players or recruits following those guys south?
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:28 pm

Haven't heard anything on either front.

However, I did hear Spratt has an offer to go down to Miami, but he is waiting to see if BG will match it. It sounds like he hopes they do so he can stay here.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU_Hockey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:55 pm

No inside information but I wouldn't be shocked to see both Schutte and Eigner end up in Oxford.
BGSU_Hockey
Egg
Egg

Postby AZIce » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:18 pm

BGSU_Hockey wrote:No inside information but I wouldn't be shocked to see both Schutte and Eigner end up in Oxford.

I just hope that TJ Lloyd and Zach Rose don't end up there, if that's the case......
AZIce
Egg
Egg

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:35 am

AZIce wrote:
BGSU_Hockey wrote:No inside information but I wouldn't be shocked to see both Schutte and Eigner end up in Oxford.

I just hope that TJ Lloyd and Zach Rose don't end up there, if that's the case......

I'd add Chase Danol to your list.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey