Ice Arena Expansion?

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Re: Ice Arena Expansion?

Postby apollo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:44 pm

It's the Journey... wrote:So you want to be the person who tells everyone how to spend their own money??? Sorry, baseball isn't everyone elses priority.

Why are you on here if you are just going to complain about every decision the department makes?

Why are you so worried about what I have to say? I'll complain about wasting money if I want to. Any criticism of the department or university is well within reason. There hasn't been a consistent vision or plan to create a winning environment since Krebs left. It obviously shows. Three sports have won multiple championships since 06-07. Women's BBall, Baseball and Football. We also won a single title in VBall and Men's BBall. Not only that you decide to cut scholarships from a program that actually wins. So long story short...shut up.

Stick to gymnastics, it may be the only topic you have any knowledge of.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BG84 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:32 pm

I'm happy without suites, bars, and spotlights. I'll take my bench in section C and watch a good game.
BG84
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGDrew » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:28 pm

BG84 wrote:I'm happy without suites, bars, and spotlights. I'll take my bench in section C and watch a good game.

Suites and bars provide new revenue streams. Money is something BG always needs more of.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tech83 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 am

Okay.... donations for the fence.

I have designed a lot of projects where private donations (and grants) are used to construct the project. So I speak with some experience and authority in this matter.

Donations come from a variety of sources and the donors have every right to dictate how and where their money will be spent. I have presented our projects to potential donors and listened to them direct their money to parts and pieces of a project that speak to them. They make these donations out of the kindness of their heart and soul. The recipient of those donations can always turn them down if they don't feel they contribute to their needs.... however great or small. They, of course, run the risk of that donor never participating every again.

Therefore any one who criticizes any donor for directing their money where they see fit and criticizing institution for accepting those funds under the conditions set by the donor is an asshole. And if they feel so strongly about this matter to call out donors for wasting their money .... then they need to step up and make a serious donation themselves....... speaking as someone as made quite a few donations both in cash and in-kind to our great institution.

This Study

This is study is to develop the design and the budgets for the overall project and renovation/addition of the arena. It also states the Design Firm selected for the study will prepare the construction drawings and provide services during construction.

Therefore, you should expect to see some big name design firms pursuing this work AND the eventual Architect will probably be nationally known and have quite a bit of Ice Arena experience.

Meaning.... this isn't just any study. This will be a grand vision that can be used to attract investment from donors.
Tech83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby apollo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:38 am

I don't think a donor called the athletic department and said "I'd like to invest in a new fence around the football practice fields."
The former coach felt that it was vital to fence in the practice fields and either 1. The department paid for it, 2. The department paid for some and someone had made a donation, or 3. They found a donor to pay for the entire project.
Of those 3 scenarios, number 3 is the least likely. Thus back to my original point...we didn't need a fence around the practice fields, it is/was a waste of money.
Nice attempt at being clever....I may be an asshole, but I'm right.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:54 am

Who else loves the fact that there is a block feature on this board.....
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tech83 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:54 am

It's the Journey... wrote:Who else loves the fact that there is a block feature on this board.....

Yeah... I think I'll utilize that feature to block out the ignorance. :lol:
Tech83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tech83 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:01 am

apollo wrote:we didn't need a fence around the practice fields, it is/was a waste of money.

That is your opinion..... that does not make you or your comment right or correct. Well....... Other than admitting that your asshole.
Tech83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:12 am

apollo wrote:I don't think a donor called the athletic department and said "I'd like to invest in a new fence around the football practice fields."
The former coach felt that it was vital to fence in the practice fields and either 1. The department paid for it, 2. The department paid for some and someone had made a donation, or 3. They found a donor to pay for the entire project.
Of those 3 scenarios, number 3 is the least likely. Thus back to my original point...we didn't need a fence around the practice fields, it is/was a waste of money.

I believe the practice field is a turf field now as well. Unless you want people goofing around on it and messing it up, it's important to fence it in. That field is expensive. You're an asshole, and wrong.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby apollo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:40 pm

footballguy51 wrote:
apollo wrote:I don't think a donor called the athletic department and said "I'd like to invest in a new fence around the football practice fields."

I believe the practice field is a turf field now as well. Unless you want people goofing around on it and messing it up, it's important to fence it in. That field is expensive. You're an asshole, and wrong.

Practice field is not turf....calling me names or ignoring my posts just shows your ignorance.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Tech83 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:51 pm

footballguy51 wrote:[I believe the practice field is a turf field now as well.........it's important to fence it in.

Again.... speaking as an architect and someone with actually knowledge of these types of issues.... that statement is absolute fact. You really want to fence a turf field to protect it. You may find some that are not fenced, but if its a dedicated field such as the Practice Field, you would want to protect.

Miami has a synthetic turf area at Cook Field - where most intramural sports are played. Its open for public use - but you are suppose to rent it... its not really intended for causal use. Its half natural grass and half turf.

Tech83
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby apollo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:57 pm

I agree you want to fence in a synthetic turf field...once again our practice fields are natural grass and there was not a problem with outsiders harming the field. Not questioning your knowledge as an architect...I'm just stating it was not a good investment for the department. I'm allowed my opinion as are you allowed yours.
apollo
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TheNuts » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Moved my daughter into her dorm today and ran into Dr. Mazey. "Dr. Mazey, thanks for being a fan of the hockey team, I'm a season ticket holder." She said before she got to BG she didn't know the first thing about hockey. Without prompting, she then went on to talk about McPhee at Vegas, Mac at Washington, Bylsma getting inducted into the HOF, and how she loves the excitement at the games. I was floored that the president of the university knows about the GM position of an NHL expansion team.

What does this have to do with the topic of the Ice Arena expansion? Nothing directly other than there is SERIOUS support for the program from the highest echelon of the university.

Lastly, how does one block posts? The stupid I'm forced to read makes my brain hurt.
TheNuts
Egg
Egg

Postby rood » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:25 pm

TheNuts wrote:
Lastly, how does one block posts? The stupid I'm forced to read makes my brain hurt.

Click on User Control Panel at the top of the page, then Manage Friends and Foes, add the culprit to your foes list. Spelling counts.
I love people who can laugh at themselves. It saves me the effort.
rood
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FalconTurf » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:02 pm

apollo wrote:I agree you want to fence in a synthetic turf field...once again our practice fields are natural grass and there was not a problem with outsiders harming the field. Not questioning your knowledge as an architect...I'm just stating it was not a good investment for the department. I'm allowed my opinion as are you allowed yours.

Sorry, this is not entirely true. I remember Kingston mentioning large equipment of a contractor pulling off the service road and parking on the practice field. These grassy areas are maintained at a level that indicates they must be protected. It also looks like a college facility when fenced in which was a criticism of our facilities in the past from locals and fans of other programs who felt it look like a HS facility.
I proudly chose to be a Falcon and a Falcon I will remain until the end.
FalconTurf
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Hockey