Coaches Caravan

The history is there...follow as the tradition returns!

Coaches Caravan

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 pm

Coaches Caravan rolled through Columbus tonight, had about 10 minutes with Berge. Items to note:

Rauhauser is likely to be back. He'll be at the Kings camp over the summer but they won't be signing him. Possible that someone else will sign him but at this point the team is planning on him returning. Good news for us.

Excited for Theocharidis to join the team. With him, Cullen, and a couple other defenseman coming in the fall there will be competition for playing time. While Pohlcamp is a lock, there may be seniors unable to crack the lineup. Niko is not coming back so we will have 9 defenseman on the roster.

The Johnson line will start the season together. Kruse will start the season with Baylis, not sure who will center that line. He's liking Kruse's game and he is hoping this is the spark Baylis needs.

Berge wants out of The WCHA. Playing the lower PWR teams leave us no room for error. If we give 2 years notice there's no penalty for leaving so he's wanting to submit the resignation now and see what happens. He needs to get Moose on board then go to Rodgers. Worst case is we go back after the 2 years (they'll take us back because we're BG) if nothing breaks our way but he feels Tech, Northern, Mankato, and Bemidji would follow and Ferris would likely tag along. Playing it out, Miami and Western would likely join up, Bemidji and Mankato end up with the Nachos. We end up with NCHC=oWCHA - B1G and nCCHA = oCCHA -B1G which we all have debated.

And make those Falcon Club donations count.

As an aside, I think Robin Fralik would be a darned fine coach for the men's team. The difference between her and Huger is astounding.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Coaches Caravan

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:Berge wants out of The WCHA. Playing the lower PWR teams leave us no room for error. If we give 2 years notice there's no penalty for leaving so he's wanting to submit the resignation now and see what happens. He needs to get Moose on board then go to Rodgers.
Worst case is we go back after the 2 years (they'll take us back because we're BG) if nothing breaks our way but he feels Tech, Northern, Mankato, and Bemidji would follow and Ferris would likely tag along. Playing it out, Miami and Western would likely join up, Bemidji and Mankato end up with the Nachos. We end up with NCHC=oWCHA - B1G and nCCHA = oCCHA -B1G which we all have debated.

Woah. That's big. Surprised he's saying that if Moose isn't even on board.

It's tough to know if Miami and Western Michigan would come along. Their fans seem split, and the word on the message boards has always been that they would face a steep penalty for leaving the NCHC.

I wonder we could also poach some of the schools in western New York.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby BGFan » Fri May 18, 2018 10:25 am

Miami and WMU are bleeding money due to the travel costs since they have to fly everywhere. It may be as simple as cutting their losses. It may be cheaper to pay and bail on the NCHC so they don't have to fly everywhere.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby AZIce » Fri May 18, 2018 12:23 pm

This would basically be the death of Huntsville and the Alaska schools.

The Alaska schools maybe un-saveable already anyway, but it would be a shame for UAH. A program BG alum Doug Ross started.
AZIce
Egg
Egg

Postby pdt1081 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:46 pm

TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:.

Berge wants out of The WCHA. Playing the lower PWR teams leave us no room for error. If we give 2 years notice there's no penalty for leaving so he's wanting to submit the resignation now and see what happens. He needs to get Moose on board then go to Rodgers. Worst case is we go back after the 2 years (they'll take us back because we're BG) if nothing breaks our way .

Horrible idea to submit the resignation without a full plan in place. Good way to get hung out to dry and take a giant step back as a program.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby TalonsUpPuckDown » Fri May 18, 2018 2:56 pm

I got the impression he and Moose have been talking about this but they're not yet ready to pull the trigger with Rodgers. I probably could have stated that better.

The thought appears to be to force the issue. He believes Tech would quickly be on board which would start the domino's falling as the UP schools would likely sign on leaving Mankato, Bemidji, and Ferris with a rather stark choice to make. He didn't seem to think the Nachos were picking up Mankato any time soon. I'm sure those of you with better access know more about this than what he shared yesterday.
2-time BGSU Intramural Curling Champion.
TalonsUpPuckDown
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Fri May 18, 2018 4:35 pm

AZIce wrote:This would basically be the death of Huntsville and the Alaska schools.

Personally, I'd be fine with keeping Huntsville around. I bet this would eventually work out for everyone.
Schadenfreude

Postby Hockey John » Fri May 18, 2018 10:57 pm

pdt1081 wrote:
TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:.

Berge wants out of The WCHA. Playing the lower PWR teams leave us no room for error. If we give 2 years notice there's no penalty for leaving so he's wanting to submit the resignation now and see what happens. He needs to get Moose on board then go to Rodgers. Worst case is we go back after the 2 years (they'll take us back because we're BG) if nothing breaks our way .

Horrible idea to submit the resignation without a full plan in place. Good way to get hung out to dry and take a giant step back as a program.

I trust Coach Bergeron to not put us in a bad place. He knows what other programs are thinking and if a better situation exist. If you remember, we did not immediately join the WCHA when invited. We even took a thirty day extension on the invite deadline to see if a better placement existed.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby pdt1081 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:26 am

Hockey John wrote:I trust Coach Bergeron to not put us in a bad place. He knows what other programs are thinking and if a better situation exist. If you remember, we did not immediately join the WCHA when invited. We even took a thirty day extension on the invite deadline to see if a better placement existed.

I am very familiar with what happened. There's a right way and a wrong way to do conference realignment. What happened the last time is the wrong way to do it, and you see where everything ended up. There was a half-hazard plan for 6 teams to get together and form a conference. Then, they picked two more after a lot of public begging and whining. Friends were keep in the dark about it happening.

From what is posted here, they just want to announce they are leaving the WCHA, and see who's willing to follow, then form a conference from those. That's not a plan, and could potentially leave an even bigger mess than before.

Of the teams listed, only 4 conference members are not listed. 3 of them are in the same position BGSU was when Bergeron got here. He knows how BG felt when everything went down before. The difference in the situations is there haven't been any public announcement of a fundraising campaign to secure the their future (ala "Bring Back the Glory"). One of those "left over" schools gets it together and recovers like BG has (UAH is improving year to year), and you'll be facing the same situation in a couple years.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby rc_ziggy84 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
TalonsUpPuckDown wrote:Berge wants out of The WCHA. Playing the lower PWR teams leave us no room for error. If we give 2 years notice there's no penalty for leaving so he's wanting to submit the resignation now and see what happens. He needs to get Moose on board then go to Rodgers.
Worst case is we go back after the 2 years (they'll take us back because we're BG) if nothing breaks our way but he feels Tech, Northern, Mankato, and Bemidji would follow and Ferris would likely tag along. Playing it out, Miami and Western would likely join up, Bemidji and Mankato end up with the Nachos. We end up with NCHC=oWCHA - B1G and nCCHA = oCCHA -B1G which we all have debated.

Woah. That's big. Surprised he's saying that if Moose isn't even on board.

It's tough to know if Miami and Western Michigan would come along. Their fans seem split, and the word on the message boards has always been that they would face a steep penalty for leaving the NCHC.

I wonder we could also poach some of the schools in western New York.

I really, really hope this happens. I think the biggest (only?) thing holding it up is the exist clause WMU and Miami would face to leave the Nachos. It’s steep, but gotta bite
the bullet at some point though.

BG, Miami, WMU, Ferris, Northern, Tech and LSSU would make a nice and fairly “central” conference.

I imagine LSSU would also be interested and given their long history with all of the teams mentioned it would be hard IMO to leave them out even though they’ve been down for quite awhile now.
The (Graduated) "OU Falcon"
rc_ziggy84
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:19 am

rc_ziggy84 wrote:I really, really hope this happens. I think the biggest (only?) thing holding it up is the exist clause WMU and Miami would face to leave the Nachos. It’s steep, but gotta bite

BG, Miami, WMU, Ferris, Northern, Tech and LSSU would make a nice and fairly “central” conference.

I imagine LSSU would also be interested and given their long history with all of the teams mentioned it would be hard IMO to leave them out even though they’ve been down for quite awhile now.

Lake Superior State is a no-brainer for me, given their history with the CCHA and the strong tradition up there.

Who are the other two schools? Robert Morris and Alabama-Huntsville?
Schadenfreude

Postby rc_ziggy84 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
rc_ziggy84 wrote:I really, really hope this happens. I think the biggest (only?) thing holding it up is the exist clause WMU and Miami would face to leave the Nachos. It’s steep, but gotta bite

Lake Superior State is a no-brainer for me, given their history with the CCHA and the strong tradition up there.

Why not just 7 teams? It makes balanced scheduling a piece of cake (2 home / 2 road vs each) and it doesn't stretch the conference geographically.
The (Graduated) "OU Falcon"
rc_ziggy84
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGDrew » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 am

rc_ziggy84 wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:

Why not just 7 teams? It makes balanced scheduling a piece of cake (2 home / 2 road vs each) and it doesn't stretch the conference geographically.

Unbalanced conferences aren’t ideal. Eight teams is really the perfect size. Four games against every team in your league then six nonconference contests.
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Hockey