Any news?

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

Any news?

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:01 pm

So.... since the big announcement on the new head coach, I’ve seen nothing re: women’s basketball. No coaching assts added, no possible recruiting info. Etc.
Thought by now we’d be getting all kinds of news on the program, but that hasn’t happened yet. Anyone hear of anything?
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Any news?

Postby mbenecke » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:38 am

I haven't really heard a whole lot.

She was named the Columbus Dispatch Ohio Coach of the Year for the third year in a row. She also announced the date of a camp this summer for high school basketball players, which will certainly be nice for recruiting if we can get some quality players on campus. She's also been doing the round on local radio morning shows.

I would like to hear some news on assistants or potential recruits soon, too. I agree with you on that.
Bleacher Creature. AYA Social Studies Education. BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Asst. Coaches

Postby transfer2BGSU » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:57 pm

The searches for the Asst. Coach positions closed last week (I believe it was Thursday). Three positions were posted.
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 am

http://bgsufalcons.com/news/2018/5/10/k ... coach.aspx

We have hired Kim Cameron as an assistant. She spent the last 8 years as head coach at Michigan Tech, compiling a record of 181-53 and winning the GLIAC 5 times. Her .774 win percentage is the highest in MTU WBB history.

This feels like a really solid hire. The fact that Cameron would leave her post as head coach of her alma mater to be an assistant here tells me that Fralick has to be building something special.
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu May 10, 2018 1:35 pm

http://bgsufalcons.com/news/2018/5/10/w ... coach.aspx

Another assistant hire today. Karmen Graham was an assistant at Belmont this year. They went 31-4 and made the NCAA tournament. They finished the season ranked #23 before losing to Duke in the big dance. She was an assistant at Ashland with Coach Fralick for an extended period of time, as well.

Seems like another great hire. I'm really encouraged by all the positive momentum in the women's basketball program.
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Just a bit different signings compared to all the rookies signed during Roos’ tenure.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Hockey John » Thu May 10, 2018 2:25 pm

mbenecke wrote:http://bgsufalcons.com/news/2018/5/10/womens-basketball-karmen-graham-named-assistant-coach.aspx

Another assistant hire today. Karmen Graham was an assistant at Belmont this year. They went 31-4 and made the NCAA tournament. They finished the season ranked #23 before losing to Duke in the big dance. She was an assistant at Ashland with Coach Fralick for an extended period of time, as well.

Seems like another great hire. I'm really encouraged by all the positive momentum in the women's basketball program.

One correction - Graham was a grad assistant for one season at Ashland 2008 - 2009 which was Fralick's first season at Ashland.
I am glad that she has D1 experience. Both seem like good hires. Go BG!
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby Hockey John » Thu May 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Class of 61 wrote:Just a bit different signings compared to all the rookies signed during Roos’ tenure.

Roos's last staff assistants all had experience as assistants before coming to BG. You may not have liked Roos, but don't make up fake news.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby Class of 61 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:34 pm

On contrary I did like Jennifer. But I do feel it was time for a change . As to her assts I may have used “rookies”, but was referring to what I felt were not very experienced folks with a couple of exceptions.
Either way these two hires seem way more experienced and hopefully will prove to be real assets as Fralick gets BGSU back to where we’d been before.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 pm

Well said, 61!
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Hockey John » Thu May 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Class of 61 wrote:On contrary I did like Jennifer. But I do feel it was time for a change . As to her assts I may have used “rookies”, but was referring to what I felt were not very experienced folks with a couple of exceptions.
Either way these two hires seem way more experienced and hopefully will prove to be real assets as Fralick gets BGSU back to where we’d been before.

Whether or not you liked Roos's assistants or not, they were NOT ROOKIES. Two of her current coaches had six years experience and the other had four years including a D2 assistant coach of the year on her resume when they arrived on BG's campus. Choose your words better.

With that said, I wish Coach Fralick, Coach Graham, and Coach Cameron well and I am excited for the future of the program.
Hockey John
Chick
Chick

Postby Flipper » Fri May 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Stop with the comparisons and rehashing of the past. Fralick is the coach...she deserves an opportunity to establish an identity without being compared to previous coaches.

That said....these seem like two very solid hires....it's quite possible that one of them will be the new HC after Fralick gets us to the elite 8 in a few years. :)
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Falcon Commander » Sat May 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 am

Per the Blade link above.... Molly Dever is the first recruit of the Fralick era.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8759360/58 ... 22d8485cf8

Love the defensive anticipation at the 48 sec mark. And the defensive rotation back by her teammates to stop the possibility of a 2 on 1 if her steal attempt missed. Well coached HS team
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby Class of 61 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 pm

HB has been one of CLE area’s stronger girls programs for several yrs. Guessing Fralick was attracted to that defense, steals etc. Her Ashland team played a lot like that when I saw 2 of their games on TV past season.
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Women's Hoops