8-0 MAC Play

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

8-0 MAC Play

Postby BGSUFan2017 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:10 pm

I am trying to be optimistic and have patience, however not going to go lie extremely disappointed.
BGSUFan2017
Egg
Egg

Re: 8-0 MAC Play

Postby elmrfudd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:34 pm

Hang in there BGSUFan2017! Don’t give up hope yet. The reason I say this is because we have young, but experienced coaches, who know how to win. But they inherited a group of talented young women who have not had the coaching needed in the last few years to make them better players. Although it’s true that we have our share of youth and injuries, we have not played at a high enough level to be a winning team in the MAC. Our inability to win is really quite simple.....we do not do the little things well. It’s called EXECUTING THE FUNDAMENTALS. I watched this game today, and I’m guessing we missed at least thirty shots inside of five feet of the rim. We don’t attack the basket inside, but throw up wild bricks, many of them mini hook shots over the shoulder. Our inability to finish inside is pathetic. If we’re not tossing up a prayer, we get easily blocked. Thus far, Maddie Cole is the most creative of any of our bigs, in regards to putting moves on the defense to get the ball in the basket. We don’t attack the basket, we shy away from it. We don’t make the defense pay, we let them control what we do. Bad passes, illegal screens, not defending the three, dumb fouls, wild shots, and lack of aggression........ they are ALL recipes for defeat. They are ALL signs of failure to execute fundamentals. We are not as fast, as strong, as aggressive, or as fundamentally sound as our opponents. We need to play at a much higher level than we have been, to compete and win at this level. We have some very talented players, but our coaching staff must maximize our individual talents to the utmost. We are a Division I team in the Mid-American Conference. Whether or not we are capable of living up to those standards depends on the quality of basketball we play, along with the level of intensity we decide to play with on the court. Yes, it’s been hard to stay hopeful. But there’s still a lot of old habits of the last four years that have to be broken and buried. I’m not giving up on them yet. I’m confident that Coach Fralick & Company will right the ship, but it may not be this season. I wonder if our gals have ever watched film of our Curt Miller teams when we dominated other teams. It may be good to see exactly what it takes to attain that level of play. Nevertheless, I’m behind this team all the way! Of course, this is all just my honest opinion. GO FALCONS!!!
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Postby drumstix2388 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:13 pm

I definitely got my hopes up after watching them a few times early in the season, but this is about what I expected for the team in Fralick's first year. It's a completely different style that will depend on filling the roster with the right recruits (or at least getting the current players to fully transition to the new system, which will take more than one season). I still believe that the best hire was made and I think we're about two year away from being in the top 4 of the conference again. The MAC has become an incredibly strong women's league so I'm not sure that there will ever be another run like BG had in the 2000s again.
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby HoopsFan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 am

It seems the only difference in this team from last year is that Akron is winning :-)

I can't tell if the fun has gone out of the game, or if we just don't have the talent to compete. Isn't a shooter supposed to keep shooting, even on a bad night? We don't have that Ali Mann or Alexis Rogers that seems to want the ball. That, and our point guard doesn't have the ability to drive to the basket and make a shot. So, I'm gonna say it as I did last year and the year before. WE NEED A POINT GUARD! Sydney might be the fastest player on the team, but If she can't finish the plays, it defeats the purpose of the fast break.

Battle and Cole seem to handle the ball well enough, although you'd hardly know with the lack of PT that Battle has. It comes down to the same thing with a different coach. I don't know what goes on in practice, but it seems that the same players each game are getting poor results. Maybe time to play different ones?

Anyway, here's hoping for a few wins from somewhere.

Go Falcons!

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Return to Women's Hoops