Different day, same result Miami 75 BG 62

BGSU Women's Basketball!!

Different day, same result Miami 75 BG 62

Postby HoopsFan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Not that anyone is watching, but BG pulled to within a point in the 3rd quarter (49-48) then did the usual fold. Ya know, my favorite point guard played 39 minutes because she fouled out in the 4th with 46 seconds in the game. I know I've never coached before, but do you think that maybe resting the players that play the whole game might give us a better chance in the 4th quarter? Geeze, 3 assists and SEVEN turnovers just don't look good.

Also, what's up with Morgan and why do we see the same old players on the court?

I'm ready for this season to be over. Charge this one off to the previous coach, because it's still her recruits, but wow. Some of our current players need to make more improvement and let's see what happens to Battle and the two Thompson girls over the off-season.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Re: Different day, same result Miami 75 BG 62

Postby RBruns » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:02 pm

Blame previous coaches? I'll bite on that one with the head games they played on these girls, but I look around the league and see first and second year coaches that are winning with the players they inherited. What do I see at BG?
At least with the post players it's apparent if you're 6'2" they don't know what to do with them and by seeing the recruits they are pursuing.......they have no interest in them either. What mac team has 5 players a that height or more that get little play time? Better question: what mid major or higher team doesn't play girls at that height and win?
Maybe a post coach will help or a D1 game plan, just saying.....
RBruns
Egg
Egg

Postby TalonsDownForWhat » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Also as Coach Fralick stated when she was hired...It does not matter who recruited these girls. Once she agreed to be the HC every girl here was "her recruit" This is just a team that is underperforming due to the lack of upperclassman performance. Lambert is still a ball hog that struggles to score. She has started every game in her career and it took her 100 games to reach 1,000 points....10 points a game for someone that handles the ball and takes as many shots as her is a disappointing career
TalonsDownForWhat
Egg
Egg

Postby Falconwriter » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:01 pm

I may be disappointed there aren't more wins, but I'm willing to give Coach time to get her recruits in place, so she can play the system she likes with the players she's most familiar. My hope is that all of this turns around very quickly next season. If you get the right players, they don't have to be upperclassmen to turn things around.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Falconfreak90 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Zips grind out 83-73 win at the Stroh tonight. Our biggest problem is we commit soooooo many turnovers every game. I still am stunned we beat Buffalo and they had 14 TO's. We had TWENTY EIGHT>

Tonight? BG had 20 TO's and Akron? FOUR. It is like this almost every game. I thought we would win more games this year, to be honest. It has been a rough ride. We led 24-22 at the half.

Hosting Kent State Sat...will be the last game I can make this year.
Michael W.
BGSU-12 TIME MAC CHAMPION
FALCON FOOTBALL ROCKS!
Falconfreak90
Rubber City Falcon
Rubber City Falcon

Postby HoopsFan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:43 pm

It was ugly. The turnovers at half were BG 11 Akron 3 In the 2nd half BG 9 AK 1!

My (un) favorite point guard had 1 assist and SIX turnovers. In league play she has 45 assists and 44 turnovers and that's from the PG that is averaging 37.4 minutes a game in that span. I'll politely applaud her on Senior day but I'll be happy to see new players on the team.

Let's hope we can get one or two more wins on the season.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby BGFan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:32 am

It's not really all that different than the hockey program when Bergeron came in. He looked at the roster and didn't recognize a single name. Since he recruited for Miami that basically means that none of the players on our roster ever showed up on his radar as someone to even consider looking at.

I don't think that it will take as long to turn around this team as it did the hockey program due to the difference in the number of players, but it will take some time.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby RBruns » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:05 pm

I agree with you on "un-favorite point guard". What is a "point guard"? To me it used to be the floor general that could get the ball down court, run the play, communicate to the team what the play is, and fix any break downs. Positivity would be nice too.

What i see is that anyone can bring the ball down court (and that may be fine), then run helter skelter around parameter until something happens. The only time i see Lambert talk is to scold a player. I see none of the current on-court players talking. Kennedy, who left, did try to communicate, to a point. Roos had her playing syds game where she never gave up the ball either and was not strong enough for this level of bball anyway. I may be old fashioned, but do guards get double doubles with points/assists anymore, instead of points(3's)/rebounds?
I am glad that our assist average is up from previous years, but, as was mentioned, turn-overs do us in. Hemfling has 89 t/o, I wonder how many were 2 pts the other way?

Do the coaches ever get a scout report on their own team? Watching Roos and co. do the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome (a win) was difficult. Seems to be the same plan now. Early season the line up was changing and different things were happening on court made sense to see what was best to win. Now im seeing the same thing over and over again with the same result. Maybe the coaches are expecting something different...there is a definition for that!!

I would like to see some defense, maybe we could sustain a win?
Im glad Cole is getting to play after being tossed in the dungeon for last 3 years. i hope that makes her senior year memorable.
I think there should be a taller rotation through the front court. The bench has last years most improved and the others have all started at some point. There’s got to be some value there, and I don’t mean as a place holder in the third when someones thirsty.

There is a saying that says if your employee, private, underling, ...player, is failing at a task, but you know they are capable of it, who is the failure? The employer, captain, superior, ...or coach is ultimately responsible. So to succeed, rather than give up, the coaches may need to communicate the task differently, use another method of explanation, or give them the tools to succeed.
RBruns
Egg
Egg

Postby RBruns » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:03 pm

The coaches should have been aware of these players, or at least some of them. These girls are recruited/watched all through high school, some earlier than that. Who can tell who's d1 or d2 at 9th grade? Sure there are surprises and disappointments.. The d2,3 schools are there to snatch them up or are there if they dont want the stress of D1. And all the coaches talk, thats why these girls get multiple offers, alot of times in the same league. so i believe these coaches know these players, to a degree. Once again, what is the scouting report on them?
(i would look at more than 1 report because sometimes i cant figure out what they read on a team that causes us to sag off a player that just shoots 3's)
What i would like to know how you find a player from australia, let alone iceland and finland etc? =D>
RBruns
Egg
Egg

Postby It's the Journey... » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 pm

What a spoiled fan base we have become for women's basketball......
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconwriter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:36 pm

RBruns wrote:The coaches should have been aware of these players, or at least some of them. These girls are recruited/watched all through high school, some earlier than that. Who can tell who's d1 or d2 at 9th grade? Sure there are surprises and disappointments.. The d2,3 schools are there to snatch them up or are there if they dont want the stress of D1. And all the coaches talk, thats why these girls get multiple offers, alot of times in the same league. so i believe these coaches know these players, to a degree. Once again, what is the scouting report on them?
(i would look at more than 1 report because sometimes i cant figure out what they read on a team that causes us to sag off a player that just shoots 3's)
What i would like to know how you find a player from australia, let alone iceland and finland etc? =D>

To answer your last question: most of those women play international ball, so there are plenty of chances to see them. Some also seek out schools in the US on their own, and make first contact. They send videos of their play, and try to get coaching staffs interested.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby elmrfudd » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:14 pm

There's a lot of frustration here on the board about our team, including by myself. Has anyone else seen that Andrea Cecil has literally put the team on her back the last several games? I knew all along she was capable, but recently she has played with much more consistency and resolve, (however she still needs to make her layups). How many other players on this team can clear the defensive boards, then dribble coast to coast and finish at the other end? Speaking of resolve, it's true that Hempfling commits turnovers on a regular basis, but how many players can stink up a first half like she did against the Zips, with zero points and numerous turnovers, then come out in the second half and score nineteen points. These players have to make up their minds to get better, then play better. Now the rest of the team needs to follow suit behind Cecil and Hempfling. The reason we cannot defend is twofold......our post players are too slow and our guards on the perimeter aren't defending the three-point shooters. They play off of them trying to contain, but to stop an outside shooter, you have to be in their face and not let them get a look at the rim. I agree we need better coaching for our post players, as we have not been able to defend the paint in the last five years. With all the height we have in the post, how can that be? Height does no one any good if you can't use it to your advantage. What really bothers me is that our gals are not good enough passers to force the ball inside, and our post players are not strong enough to handle the defensive traffic under the basket. So those two things scare me.....guards who can't pass and posts who lose the ball or get blocked in the paint. If you have no inside game, why put them out there? As I've mentioned numerous times, you have to make the players better before the team can get better. One by one, it's called PLAYER DEVELOPMENT! And you can't maximize a player's basketball skills unless the player is willing to put in the work, then that's where the coaching comes in. Well, I've said enough for now. Hopefully, I'm not alone in this theory. Nevertheless, GO FALCONS!!! BEAT KENT STATE!!!
elmrfudd
Chick
Chick

Return to Women's Hoops