Return to the Field House

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Should The Field House Show Be In The Field House?

Yes - It should
24%
Yes - And It should have never been changed
24%
No - It's Better At The Stadium
52%

Total votes : 21

Return to the Field House

Postby Strouse » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:10 am

Well, after the FMB returned to the Field House for our Pre-Game "Field House" Show this afternoon, I'm curious to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding this.

To start off, I feel like the Pre-Game show should have never been moved to the Stadium. My first two years here, we did it in the Perry Field House, and it contains a lot of Tradition that shouldn't be forgotten about. Now however, I also realize the importance of being there to play for the Football team (even though the majority of them wear headphones) as they get off the busses and walk into the Stadium, so don't rip on me for that.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgsufn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:26 am

The people whom I tailgate with (several "older" folks) love having the show at the stadium because they can walk there pretty easy. The field house is a bit of a haul for people. I don't mind it... but if it were out at the Field House, some of the older folks may not make it.

I'll still go wherever because the FMB rocks! :supz:
Chris Malanga ('97)
Veteran of BGSU Radio

"If you wanted to be a Buckeye, you should have gone to OSU. You're a Falcon. Accept it. Be proud." - Lizzie Keller, BG News Column
bgsufn
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby realmenskip » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:43 am

Although i enjoyed having the field house show, it was rarely ever attended as much as a pre-Game cocnert at the field. I would like to see a Fieldhouse Show every year to keep that tradition alive, but the almost all the fans are at the stadium, meaning so should the biggest support of the team, the FMB.

I know that the football players might not always seem to be appreciative, but im sure they are, they just are so focused on the game and how they're going to kick whatever teams' butt they are playing that day.

Thanks to all the fans who come regardless of where we are, it really does make the band feel good and appreciated
realmenskip
Egg
Egg

Postby The Niz » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:59 am

From a section leader's stand point, having the show in the field house is one hundred times more productive than at the stadium. Meeting at Perry for a sectional and resuming all of the intrasectional traditions we used to have brought my sections focus to a whole new level yesterday. I'm not sure if it was the same for others, but I appreciated that focus being back.

I didn't even realize until today how much I missed the field house show. The only thing that was missing for me was the last second run through of the visitor's fight song.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:20 pm

I didn't realize how much I missed being in the field house show until we were in there yesterday. I agree w/Niz - the focus was better in our section too. And we got to run around and Zig people, something we couldn't do outside. I also really missed the "formality" of the percs/maggots/guard marching thru that door (another thing you don't get with the outdoor show). I'm getting old though and the field house show was just a way of life until recently. I guess I'm attached to the way things were... ;)
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Falconfliccbone » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:23 pm

I still have mixed emotions. As a band alumni with three years of field house shows, it was great to be back there yesterday to hear the band and know that everyone in there was there to support the band. The attendance at these shows never ceases to amaze me because it shows that the FMB has a great group of dedicated fans that will support them all the time.

On the other hand, I enjoy having the concert at the stadium. I love being there to cheer the football players on their way in to the game. I think it shows great support for each other as well a unity for the university that many other schools lack. I also think the concerts at the Doyt enable a larger group of people that might not be aware of the greatness of the FMB to enjoy it while allowing those die-hard band fans to continue their undying support of the FMB.

To me, I really don't care, but I'm excited about next week because I am really curious to see the New Frontiers show.
GO FALCONS!!
"Our (insert sport or band) team is vastly superior to your (same sport or band) team!"
Falconfliccbone
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Rightupinthere » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:55 pm

Keep it out by the stadium.

:-D
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness

Postby The Niz » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:57 pm

Rightupinthere wrote:Keep it out by the stadium.

When they build the new convo center and the pregame show gets moved in there, will it still count as out by the stadium?

The show out by the field just seems so unorganized and unprofessional compared to the field house. It's missing that 'event' feel.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rightupinthere » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:01 pm

The Niz wrote:
Rightupinthere wrote:Keep it out by the stadium.

When they build the new convo center and the pregame show gets moved in there, will it still count as out by the stadium?

Pretty sure it would. :smt025
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere

Postby BGDrew » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:29 pm

I know it's not close to the stadium, but would you be able to do the show in Anderson Arena?
Check out our new BGSU hockey site: http://www.bgsuhockey.com
BGDrew
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rightupinthere » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:00 pm

BGDrew wrote:I know it's not close to the stadium, but would you be able to do the show in Anderson Arena?

No. Too far out of the fray of gameday. It was AWESOME when it was in the ice arena. It was a perfect venue for pregame warmup (in the area which was closed in in 1989).

I would keep it out by the stadium.

Somewhere.

Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere

Postby goofyeuph » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:18 pm

I said it when the event got moved, I said it while the event was out there, and I'll say it if/when it gets moved back; The Pre-game concert belongs at the Field House. I suppose that I think about it a little more, it really just doesn't belong at the stadium. While I marched, it was nice having one thing that was entirely for the marching band. Everything else that day is all for the football team. It was really nice having that one thing that was all about the band. As an alumni, when I come back for a football game, it's not 'just' for the game. Hell when I go to any college football game, it's not just for the game. It's for all of the pageantry, atmosphere, and ambiance that surrounds the game. For my money, some of that is/was lost when the pregame concert was moved to the stadium.
TSASOTFMB!!!!
goofyeuph
Peregrine
Peregrine

Goofy

Postby The Niz » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:22 pm

Good day bad day isn't the same when we all have to cram into the little corner in the hallway in front of our fundies week room.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Shakeatailfeather04 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:34 am

I think it really depends on what you see as the "purpose" of the field house show. Is it to perform the show for FMB family and friends? Is it to build excitement and support for the game and the team? Is it as one last warm-up/rehearsal for the FMB? I think where the "field house show" should be played depends on the answer to that question.

I can really see it both ways- I loved having the field house show in the field house. There are lots of great traditions there that can't translate to playing at the stadium for logistical reasons. On the other hand, the crowd at Homecoming (the only game I've been to so far this year) really seemed to enjoy the concert and it seemed to add to the overall atmosphere of the game. I'm sure there are lots of people in that crowd who would not have gone over to the field house.

Maybe they could compromise and do both? Play one or two "field house shows" at the stadium during the year (maybe Homecoming and Family Weekend?) and the rest of the shows could be played in the field house. Just an idea.
Time will treat you kindly
Years from now you'll be
Ever dearer to our hearts,
Our University.

We drink MILK and eat cookies all night long, HEY!!
Shakeatailfeather04
Chick
Chick

Postby Rightupinthere » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:56 am

Originally, the pregame warm-up was just that: a warm-up. Entry, then go through the shows. During cadences, it was dress down time where uniform was reviewed for acceptable appearences (hair, pant length - which has drastically gone "by the board", and cleanliness.)

There were some people viewing the show, but it was not really intended to be a "performance" per se. It was to get the rank and file's game face on.
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere

Next

Return to BGSU Bands