Return to the Field House

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Should The Field House Show Be In The Field House?

Yes - It should
5
24%
Yes - And It should have never been changed
5
24%
No - It's Better At The Stadium
11
52%
 
Total votes : 21

Postby realmenskip » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:44 pm

Rightupinthere wrote: During cadences, it was dress down time where uniform was reviewed for acceptable appearences (hair, pant length - which has drastically gone "by the board", and cleanliness.)


This acceptable apeearance has seemed to go down the tube especially this year. I notice many people with hair on the collars to list one thing, including one of the uniform chairs. This is just not what it should be. Some guys comment that its too long to just leave, but too short to gel/put up. Then get it cut guys! Is it that difficult to understand?

And girls need to learn how to put it up properly so it doesnt fall out halfway through, or jsut flop out during pre-game.

just the rantings of someone whose opinion probably doesnt really matter anyways.
realmenskip
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:38 pm

Postby Strouse » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:46 pm

realmenskip wrote:
Rightupinthere wrote: During cadences, it was dress down time where uniform was reviewed for acceptable appearences (hair, pant length - which has drastically gone "by the board", and cleanliness.)


This acceptable apeearance has seemed to go down the tube especially this year. I notice many people with hair on the collars to list one thing, including one of the uniform chairs. This is just not what it should be. Some guys comment that its too long to just leave, but too short to gel/put up. Then get it cut guys! Is it that difficult to understand?

And girls need to learn how to put it up properly so it doesnt fall out halfway through, or jsut flop out during pre-game.

just the rantings of someone whose opinion probably doesnt really matter anyways.


I want to share those sentiments. It irritates me as well when we are yelled at to shave, not wear earrings, iron pants, wipe off shoes, etc. from the uniform committee when the biggest issue that isn't getting addressed is getting the hair up off the collar. From my standpoint, getting the hair up off the collar is more important than cleaning shoes, ironing pants, or even shaving, but again, that's just me. I don't really have much room to speak on this since my hair is short, but people should know that if they have long hair and march, they need to know how to put it up in a way that it will stay up off the collar the majority of the game. By the way, it's not just girls that need to know how to put their hair up properly, there are a few guys who need to learn that as well.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:21 am
Location: BGSU/Troy, Ohio

Postby The Niz » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Appearence in the uniform boils down to pride and self-discipline. Both have been lacking for a while accross the FMB. Its almost like its too uncool to take marching seriously. Its not just the uniform, its during rehearsals, and in personal practice. Until the pride comes back we will continue to look bad in uniform.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
User avatar
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2432
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:58 am
Location: Parris Island, SC

Postby tubachic » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:51 pm

I think it's the pants. They are too baggy!!! Everyone looks like they are wearing diapers.

BTW I think they should bring back the "march in" with the Percs and Maggots. This could still happen out at the stadium.
"Hey Maggots, let's go to the front of the band"
tubachic
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:57 pm

Postby The Niz » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:56 pm

tubachic wrote:I think it's the pants. They are too baggy!!! Everyone looks like they are wearing diapers.

BTW I think they should bring back the "march in" with the Percs and Maggots. This could still happen out at the stadium.



The pants, lack of drapes, chords, tails, and white shoes. :wink:
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
User avatar
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2432
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:58 am
Location: Parris Island, SC

Postby Rabbit » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:02 am

goofyeuph wrote:I said it when the event got moved, I said it while the event was out there, and I'll say it if/when it gets moved back; The Pre-game concert belongs at the Field House. I suppose that I think about it a little more, it really just doesn't belong at the stadium. While I marched, it was nice having one thing that was entirely for the marching band. Everything else that day is all for the football team. It was really nice having that one thing that was all about the band. As an alumni, when I come back for a football game, it's not 'just' for the game. Hell when I go to any college football game, it's not just for the game. It's for all of the pageantry, atmosphere, and ambiance that surrounds the game. For my money, some of that is/was lost when the pregame concert was moved to the stadium.


I agree. The band deserves a venue that is all about them. I remember the days when it was held at the ice arena. We had a whole long list of traditions that everyone looked forward to and it really got everyone motivated as a group to put on a great performance.
User avatar
Rabbit
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 11:13 am
Location: Lima, OH

Postby jlozer8 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:59 pm

I can see the benefits of the pregrame concert being in the fieldhouse and at the stadium. The main arguments for holding in the field house are that there are traditions that go along with it, and that it makes the concert about the band rather than the football game. The idea of holding it at the stadium makes it into more of a pep rally for the football team. Both are good in their own way. I think that if the concerts could be split up, with half being in the fieldhouse and half at the stadium, that might be the best situation. Tradition is important, and by splitting them up, you can maintain some of the traditions that go along with the fieldhouse shows, BUT one of the primary functions of a college marching band is to provide entertainment for fans and be sort of a "12th man" to the football team. I think it would make sense to have the first 2-3 concerts at the stadium and the last 2-3 in the fieldhouse. The main reason for this would be that the last half of the season is the cold half, and as a brass player, the less time I spend playing in the cold, the better my chops will feel in the 4th quarter. Really, I can see either side of the argument and would support it either way. Many of the traditions, such as section warm-ups and other section activities can still be maintained with the concert at the stadium, there just have to be adjustments made to do so. I.E. Do all of this stuff in your section warm-up rooms before the march-over. I know it's not the same, but times change, and traditions change too, so you just have deal with it.
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:19 pm
Location: Sedalia, MO

Postby Strouse » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:31 pm

jlozer8 wrote:I.E. Do all of this stuff in your section warm-up rooms before the march-over. I know it's not the same, but times change, and traditions change too, so you just have deal with it.


Lozer, I agree with most of what you have said but I have a slight problem with the above quote and that is the simple fact that if sections do their "traditions" in their warm-up rooms then it doesn't have the same meaning and thus it has a greater chance of falling to the wayside. Granted, times do change but to change the way you have to do a tradition or where you do it at, to me, completely changes the tradition itself.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:21 am
Location: BGSU/Troy, Ohio

Postby jlozer8 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:38 am

Strouse wrote:
jlozer8 wrote:I.E. Do all of this stuff in your section warm-up rooms before the march-over. I know it's not the same, but times change, and traditions change too, so you just have deal with it.


Lozer, I agree with most of what you have said but I have a slight problem with the above quote and that is the simple fact that if sections do their "traditions" in their warm-up rooms then it doesn't have the same meaning and thus it has a greater chance of falling to the wayside. Granted, times do change but to change the way you have to do a tradition or where you do it at, to me, completely changes the tradition itself.


Well, what I am saying is if the traditions are that important, then you will do them where you can. And yes, I understand that it is not the same, but if you don't want to make the adjustments necessary, maybe the value of these traditions is overstated....
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:19 pm
Location: Sedalia, MO

Postby The Niz » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:31 am

Its not just the traditions within our sections, its the ones that involve other sections also. Like Lexie said, when do the saxes ever ay zig anyone anymore?
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
User avatar
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 2432
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:58 am
Location: Parris Island, SC

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:12 pm

We zigged Ryan at Monday's rehearsal, but that was a rare and special occurance. Our section isn't the only one not doing anything. I mean, it's been since fundies week that the fliccs have "flicc'd" anyone, that I know of...and the maggots to my knowledge haven't fumbled anyone or "moleculed" them (again with the exception of Ryan, I believe)....not being in the field house just loses all of that. Also, the field house was the place where we'd all do our warmups that the section leader (at least in our section) wrote for us to "show off" at the field house....all in all...I miss being in the field house.
User avatar
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: BG

Postby tubachic » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:46 pm

I miss the reading of the BUFFO letter in the Fieldhouse....oh silly me, you have to have BUFFO for a BUFFO letter.

my bad
"Hey Maggots, let's go to the front of the band"
tubachic
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:57 pm

Postby jlozer8 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:46 pm

The Niz wrote:Its not just the traditions within our sections, its the ones that involve other sections also. Like Lexie said, when do the saxes ever ay zig anyone anymore?


If I recall correctly, the saxes didn't start the "zigging" stuff until at least 2003. I know they didn't do it my first year, so it was either 2003 or 2004 that the "zigging" was started. I wouldn't necessarily call that a tradition as much as just a generational thing, much like the trumpets "hooting."

However, if the saxes want to dance around playing Aye-Zig like a bunch of little kids, what's stopping them? Just because they're not at the fieldhouse doesn't mean they can't do it. There is usually a long enough break between the end of the pregame concert and the march into the stadium....

I know that's not the only "tradition" people are referring to, but it was a good one to make an example of to illustrate my point that the fieldhouse is not necessary to upholding all traditions.
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:19 pm
Location: Sedalia, MO

Postby Strouse » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:47 am

SaxyGirl85 wrote:We zigged Ryan at Monday's rehearsal, but that was a rare and special occurance. Our section isn't the only one not doing anything. I mean, it's been since fundies week that the fliccs have "flicc'd" anyone, that I know of...and the maggots to my knowledge haven't fumbled anyone or "moleculed" them (again with the exception of Ryan, I believe)....not being in the field house just loses all of that. Also, the field house was the place where we'd all do our warmups that the section leader (at least in our section) wrote for us to "show off" at the field house....all in all...I miss being in the field house.


Normally the "tradition" of the maggots fumbling or moleculing someone is left to Fridays, (normally the Friday before Game Day) seeing as how that is "Maggot Fun Day" but lately certain circumstances have stopped that from happening.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:21 am
Location: BGSU/Troy, Ohio

Postby Beta Kappa Bob » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:58 am

jlozer8 wrote:
If I recall correctly, the saxes didn't start the "zigging" stuff until at least 2003. I know they didn't do it my first year, so it was either 2003 or 2004 that the "zigging" was started. I wouldn't necessarily call that a tradition as much as just a generational thing, much like the trumpets "hooting."

However, if the saxes want to dance around playing Aye-Zig like a bunch of little kids, what's stopping them? Just because they're not at the fieldhouse doesn't mean they can't do it. There is usually a long enough break between the end of the pregame concert and the march into the stadium....

I know that's not the only "tradition" people are referring to, but it was a good one to make an example of to illustrate my point that the fieldhouse is not necessary to upholding all traditions.





Firstly i would like to say that most traditions are only generational, in so far as most inside jokes are only funny to those who know them/were there for the conception. The hope is that, given a situation that something special/funny/whatever comes out of it and if its good and people keep the dream alive it will survive. Whether it was Backes'/Yaco's generation that came up with zigging we liked it so much that it stuck. That is how traditions are born.

Granted in the future this one could die,as so many others have (old guys can attest i'm sure) but that isnt the point. The point is that its important to US.

The problem with not being in the field house vs. the stadium(which i believe was
the original intent of this thread) is that most sections are not in their sectional
formats long enough for any intrasectional bonding (like them big words??)
Everything seems hurried and when we finally do reach the stadium everyone is
looking forward to the 20 minute break-considering it'll be their last for hours.

During fundis we can all run around and goof off with each other because we are in
sectional time for hours and i would assume most would agree that the field house
gives us a means to remember back on fundis week and recall why we really started this journey that has led us to where we are on the day of the show

But with the ever scripted game comes the unfortunate feeling of an ever scripted
day of marching band. The field house show was nice in the fact that it was OURS
and just for us. Don't get me wrong i realize the band is there for peppy support but its always nice to have something to call your own.


Lastly, I wouldn't say that the saxes 'dance around like children'...we are just having fun with a school spirit song and helping others to find some fun in it. But from a trumpets point of view i can see how having any fun would be a confusing matter :D
Beta Kappa Bob
Egg
Egg
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:39 pm

PreviousNext

Return to BGSU Bands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron