Return to the Field House

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Should The Field House Show Be In The Field House?

Yes - It should
24%
Yes - And It should have never been changed
24%
No - It's Better At The Stadium
52%

Total votes : 21

Postby Bigcman0789 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:56 pm

Beta Kappa Bob wrote:
jlozer8 wrote:
If I recall correctly, the saxes didn't start the "zigging" stuff until at least 2003. I know they didn't do it my first year, so it was either 2003 or 2004 that the "zigging" was started. I wouldn't necessarily call that a tradition as much as just a generational thing, much like the trumpets "hooting."

However, if the saxes want to dance around playing Aye-Zig like a bunch of little kids, what's stopping them? Just because they're not at the fieldhouse doesn't mean they can't do it. There is usually a long enough break between the end of the pregame concert and the march into the stadium....

I know that's not the only "tradition" people are referring to, but it was a good one to make an example of to illustrate my point that the fieldhouse is not necessary to upholding all traditions.

Firstly i would like to say that most traditions are only generational, in so far as most inside jokes are only funny to those who know them/were there for the conception. The hope is that, given a situation that something special/funny/whatever comes out of it and if its good and people keep the dream alive it will survive. Whether it was Backes'/Yaco's generation that came up with zigging we liked it so much that it stuck. That is how traditions are born.

Granted in the future this one could die,as so many others have (old guys can attest i'm sure) but that isnt the point. The point is that its important to US.

The problem with not being in the field house vs. the stadium(which i believe was
the original intent of this thread) is that most sections are not in their sectional
formats long enough for any intrasectional bonding (like them big words??)
Everything seems hurried and when we finally do reach the stadium everyone is
looking forward to the 20 minute break-considering it'll be their last for hours.

During fundis we can all run around and goof off with each other because we are in
sectional time for hours and i would assume most would agree that the field house
gives us a means to remember back on fundis week and recall why we really started this journey that has led us to where we are on the day of the show

But with the ever scripted game comes the unfortunate feeling of an ever scripted
day of marching band. The field house show was nice in the fact that it was OURS
and just for us. Don't get me wrong i realize the band is there for peppy support but its always nice to have something to call your own.

Lastly, I wouldn't say that the saxes 'dance around like children'...we are just having fun with a school spirit song and helping others to find some fun in it. But from a trumpets point of view i can see how having any fun would be a confusing matter :D

HOOT HOOT HOOT HOOT HOOT :D
Bigcman0789
Egg
Egg

Postby jlozer8 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:28 pm

Beta Kappa Bob wrote:
Firstly i would like to say that most traditions are only generational, in so far as most inside jokes are only funny to those who know them/were there for the conception. The hope is that, given a situation that something special/funny/whatever comes out of it and if its good and people keep the dream alive it will survive. Whether it was Backes'/Yaco's generation that came up with zigging we liked it so much that it stuck. That is how traditions are born.

Granted in the future this one could die,as so many others have (old guys can attest i'm sure) but that isnt the point. The point is that its important to US.

The problem with not being in the field house vs. the stadium(which i believe was
the original intent of this thread) is that most sections are not in their sectional
formats long enough for any intrasectional bonding (like them big words??)
Everything seems hurried and when we finally do reach the stadium everyone is
looking forward to the 20 minute break-considering it'll be their last for hours.

During fundis we can all run around and goof off with each other because we are in
sectional time for hours and i would assume most would agree that the field house
gives us a means to remember back on fundis week and recall why we really started this journey that has led us to where we are on the day of the show

But with the ever scripted game comes the unfortunate feeling of an ever scripted
day of marching band. The field house show was nice in the fact that it was OURS
and just for us. Don't get me wrong i realize the band is there for peppy support but its always nice to have something to call your own.

Lastly, I wouldn't say that the saxes 'dance around like children'...we are just having fun with a school spirit song and helping others to find some fun in it. But from a trumpets point of view i can see how having any fun would be a confusing matter :D

First, I wasn't necessarily trying to call attention to whether or not the saxophones "zigging" people is a tradtion as much as I was using it to illustrate that the fieldhouse is not 100% necessary to uphold such things. Some say you don't have enough time in your warm up rooms, well what I say to that is if you really needed the time you would make time. Have your section show up 10 minutes earlier after the break you get. If what you want to do is not worth 10 minutes of your time, then is it worth complaining about not being able to do it??

Second, when I said the saxes dance around like little kids, that was not meant as an insult. I don't know if it was taken as such or not, but that was not my intent. It was just an observation of what it looks like to an outsider. C'mon, have you never seen little kids dance?? It looks just like what the saxes do....

Next, I don't really understand how being in the fieldhouse makes it any easier to reflect on fundies week, considering you don't spend any time in the fieldhouse during fundies week. Maybe you're referring to having a little more time in the fieldhouse than you do in the warmup room, but again, I think that goes back to your willingness to make time.

Lastly, trumpets DO have fun, they just have a different idea of what fun is. I mean, it's always fun to be the best section in the band....

All joking aside though, the trumpets participate in just as many fun section activities as the saxes, they just don't play aye-zig and dance around the other sections.
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby Rabbit » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:09 pm

I went to the Notre Dame-Navy game this past weekend, only to watch my niece march (trumpet, of course) in the ND marching band. They have a ton of pre-game traditions that involves each section separately. I have no idea of these traditions are 5 years old or 50 years old, but even an outsider can see how these things foster a sense of 'team effort' within the section (and in the band as a whole). It's a lot like I remembered BGSU used to be like in the days of the ice arena. I just don't see that same sense of team and working together when I watch it nowadays. Maybe I am just old and jaded....?

Say what you want about the quality of Notre Dame, but they certainly know how to foster a cult-like atmosphere within their band.
Rabbit
Egg
Egg

Postby goofyeuph » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Rabbit wrote:Say what you want about the quality of Notre Dame, but they certainly know how to foster a cult-like atmosphere within their band.

...and for the rest of their university :roll:
(sorry, I grew up a Michigan fan, hard for me to give ND credit for much other than for being annoying)
TSASOTFMB!!!!
goofyeuph
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BuffoNouveau » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:14 pm

tubachic wrote:I miss the reading of the BUFFO letter in the Fieldhouse....oh silly me, you have to have BUFFO for a BUFFO letter.

my bad

And why can't we have Buffo return?

"Hey there! Hi there! Ho there! It's Buffo time again...."
BuffoNouveau
Egg
Egg

Postby Rightupinthere » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:21 pm

BuffoNouveau wrote:
tubachic wrote:I miss the reading of the BUFFO letter in the Fieldhouse....oh silly me, you have to have BUFFO for a BUFFO letter.

my bad

And why can't we have Buffo return?

"Hey there! Hi there! Ho there! It's Buffo time again...."

Would you like to be more specific?
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness
Mercenary of Churlishness

Postby able1 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:50 pm

BuffoNouveau.....

Hmmm....any relation or reference to a certain former squad leader from the late 80's/early 90's?

And Mark, something's brewing again. This time, it sounds like the band administration is willing to at least have a talk about it. Any former Buffo's or anyone with some inside information about how everything worked in the past, please pm me and I'll put you in touch with the person who's doing all the work. He's on the site, but I dunno if he wants to be identified just yet.
able1
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to BGSU Bands