Toledo's Halftime Show

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Postby jg4242 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:25 pm

Yeah, the next time the 110 puts on a show with 100+ sets and music that's anywhere near as challenging as New Frontiers, I will gladly run around the Union naked. If they put it together in 4 weeks, I'll do it in the snow.
jg4242
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby h2oville rocket » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:30 pm

jlozer8 wrote:
Ok, I get that you are joking, but even the most oblivious of Toledo fans must realize that the word "quality" cannot in any way be applied to the Toledo marching band when choosing between them and the FMB....

Not completely joking. ESPN has seen our band before and made a decision to feature them. The RIGHT decision, IMO. :-D RMB is awesome and VERY spirited. BG band was OK, too.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rightupinthere » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 pm

h2oville rocket wrote:
jlozer8 wrote:
Ok, I get that you are joking, but even the most oblivious of Toledo fans must realize that the word "quality" cannot in any way be applied to the Toledo marching band when choosing between them and the FMB....

Not completely joking. ESPN has seen our band before and made a decision to feature them. The RIGHT decision, IMO. :-D RMB is awesome and VERY spirited. BG band was OK, too.

I haven't seen the RMB perform since the early 90's and they were just shy of dreadful back then. I'm glad they have improved.
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness

Postby jlozer8 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:11 am

h2oville rocket wrote:
jlozer8 wrote:

I'll give them "spirited," but until they perform shows of comparable difficulty to those of the FMB, and perform them well, they don't come anywhere near the quality of the FMB.
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby bgmaggot00 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:56 am

Wow Lozer. You sure woke up on the defensive side of the bed today, didn't you? Eek. I agree with you, but still, everyone's a homer. You should know that. Let the Rockets love their band, while all of the BG people can go gaga over TBDB... I mean, the FMB. ;-)
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby The Niz » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:28 pm

As much as I hate to admit it, they have had one good show in the last four years. Last year for the BG game they did the 1812 overture and it wasn't too shabby. For some reason it looked like half the band left after last year. Other things from the RMB seem to come right out of things we've done well before them, i.E bohemian rhapsody or thriller.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby saxyphone1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:31 pm

Rightupinthere wrote:
saxyphone1 wrote:Sorry, but h2oville rocket is right. If this is the halftime you are referring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_PHhdJX0I It is sloppy visually.

Being an OU band member, you have zero place to judge "appealing."

My ears are still bleeding from the last time I heard that aural abomination called "the Gyrating 110".

Carry on.

OU - yes, 110 - hell no! Didn't go here for UG work. They are insanely popular, but I prefer the legato style of marching known as corps style to the high stomp.

About YouTube of NF: Great drill, esp. for college band! Look at performance, though. Looks like the drill deserved more than one week's rehearsal. Post the NF show from Toledo.
saxyphone1
Egg
Egg

Postby bgmaggot00 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:36 pm

The Niz wrote: Other things from the RMB seem to come right out of things we've done well before them, i.E bohemian rhapsody or thriller.

Because those were commissioned and premiered by the FMB... :roll:
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jlozer8 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:17 pm

bgmaggot00 wrote:
The Niz wrote: Other things from the RMB seem to come right out of things we've done well before them, i.E bohemian rhapsody or thriller.

I agree with Carlson on this one. If they play something in the RMB that has been done with the FMB, I would chalk that up to coincidence. The FMB wasn't the first band to play Bohemian Rhapsody, and it certainly wasn't intended to be the last either.
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby Rightupinthere » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:44 pm

saxyphone1 wrote:
Rightupinthere wrote:
saxyphone1 wrote:Sorry, but h2oville rocket is right. If this is the halftime you are referring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_PHhdJX0I It is sloppy visually.

Being an OU band member, you have zero place to judge "appealing."

My ears are still bleeding from the last time I heard that aural abomination called "the Gyrating 110".

Carry on.

OU - yes, 110 - hell no! Didn't go here for UG work. They are insanely popular, but I prefer the legato style of marching known as corps style to the high stomp.

My mistake. Terribly sorry.
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere

Postby The Niz » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:16 pm

bgmaggot00 wrote:

They did their bohemian rhapsody the year after us, which isn't the point anyways. I was using the coincedence of them playing things we have played as playful banter. I don't see what those songs being commissioned or premiered by us has anything to do with it either since I was using the word well not to describe how we played, but how long before UT we played them.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FMBEuphtastic » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:49 am

The Niz wrote:
bgmaggot00 wrote:

They did their bohemian rhapsody the year after us, which isn't the point anyways. I was using the coincedence of them playing things we have played as playful banter. I don't see what those songs being commissioned or premiered by us has anything to do with it either since I was using the word well not to describe how we played, but how long before UT we played them.

Agreed-As a distraction from the frigid atmosphere as we wait to take our field, it's a bit of a giggle to hear a song and be able to say "Oh, what's that you're playing? Hm, yes. I seem to recall doing that before." I will say that I was intrigued by their arrangement of Night on Bald Mountain, but I prefer the Nowlin touch.
When in doubt, duck. When certain, don't bother. You're already screwed.
FMBEuphtastic
Egg
Egg

I don't know about that....

Postby musicman2343 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 pm

The Niz wrote:As much as I hate to admit it, they have had one good show in the last four years. Last year for the BG game they did the 1812 overture and it wasn't too shabby. For some reason it looked like half the band left after last year. Other things from the RMB seem to come right out of things we've done well before them, i.E bohemian rhapsody or thriller.

On the contrary, the Russian Composer show they did last year was quite dreadful. The marching was sloppy, the brass (especially the trumpets) were fracking and over-blowing their horns. The biggest thing that led to my decision was the fact that the trumpets couldn't even play the most recognizable theme from the 1812 Overture... They had to simplify the theme (maybe b/c they can't double-tongue?...) regardless, it sounded pretty bad...
musicman2343
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: I don't know about that....

Postby jlozer8 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:47 pm

musicman2343 wrote:
On the contrary, the Russian Composer show they did last year was quite dreadful. The marching was sloppy, the brass (especially the trumpets) were fracking and over-blowing their horns. The biggest thing that led to my decision was the fact that the trumpets couldn't even play the most recognizable theme from the 1812 Overture... They had to simplify the theme (maybe b/c they can't double-tongue?...) regardless, it sounded pretty bad...

Agreed. I don't think there was a soft (or even medium) dynamic in that whole show.

Simplifying the theme may have been done because of double-tonguing, but it is also possible that they realized the difficulty of getting the whole section to play it together and wanted to be given the best shot at sounding good. Regardless, I don't see the simplification of the theme as being a primary contributor to the dreadfulness of that show. It was dreadful just by virtue of being played with a complete lack of a controlled tone.
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby The Niz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:08 pm

Poor tone and bad marching are expected from them, especially after the shows they played in front of us in '04 and '05. I did roll my eyes a bit last year when the announcer first introduced their theme, and yes, they made alterations to make things easier. Last year for the RMB was still a huge step forward from the few years before. The years before were absolutely non descript and terrible. At least last year we all remembered it after it was over.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to BGSU Bands