Toledo's Halftime Show

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Postby bgmaggot00 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:23 pm

h2oville rocket wrote:
jacojdm wrote:I'm not sure I'm familiar with that "rule." BTW it's "faux pas."

My Cajun dog has faux pas.

Wouldn't that be "Faux" Paws, as in, prostesis?
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgmaggot00 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:26 pm

For the record, I was rather impressed with the sound of the Toledo band, especially on the Phantom. In addition, I thought that the dance was pretty awesome, regardless of what Red said here.
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Shakeatailfeather04 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:08 pm

I know you're not trying to say that the Toledo dance was better than ours. That's just wrong.
Time will treat you kindly
Years from now you'll be
Ever dearer to our hearts,
Our University.

We drink MILK and eat cookies all night long, HEY!!
Shakeatailfeather04
Chick
Chick

Postby h2oville rocket » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:50 pm

bgmaggot00 wrote:
h2oville rocket wrote:
jacojdm wrote:I'm not sure I'm familiar with that "rule." BTW it's "faux pas."

My Cajun dog has faux pas.

Wouldn't that be "Faux" Paws, as in, prostesis?

No prosthesis- she's got all faux of them.
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgmaggot00 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:22 pm

Shakeatailfeather04 wrote:I know you're not trying to say that the Toledo dance was better than ours. That's just wrong.

Oh no, not better, but still awesome. Kinda like the difference between Abbey Road and Rubber Soul. They're both awesome, but we all know that Abbey Road is better.
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Shakeatailfeather04 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:25 pm

Out of principle, I refuse to acknowledge anything that Toledo does as "awesome". But as long as you're not saying they were better, I'll let it slide. :wink:

And for the record, *I* don't think Abbey Road is better. I'd take Rubber Soul over Abbey Road any day of the week. And twice on Sunday.
Years from now you'll be
Our University.

Shakeatailfeather04
Chick
Chick

Postby bgmaggot00 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 pm

Shakeatailfeather04 wrote:Out of principle, I refuse to acknowledge anything that Toledo does as "awesome". But as long as you're not saying they were better, I'll let it slide. :wink:

And for the record, *I* don't think Abbey Road is better. I'd take Rubber Soul over Abbey Road any day of the week. And twice on Sunday.

OK, how about the difference between Abbey Road, and the music of Rubber Soul as performed by Whitesnake?
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Shakeatailfeather04 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:24 pm

Now Jeff, you know how I feel about Beatles covers :-D
Years from now you'll be
Our University.

Shakeatailfeather04
Chick
Chick

Postby h2oville rocket » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:47 am

Bigcman0789 wrote:I was a bit upset they showed all of their sorry excuse for a show and only part of New Frontiers.....someone should have told EspnU that they shouldn't tape the Toledo High School band

Nope. They made the right choice! ESPN is totally focused on providing the best entertainment possible- their livliehood depends on it. So they have to know quality when they see it. Capitalism at its finest- the market won and UT's band had its rightful place in the forefront of football musicdom. Of course that doesn't explain our football team.... :-D
h2oville rocket
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jlozer8 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:27 pm

h2oville rocket wrote:
Bigcman0789 wrote:I was a bit upset they showed all of their sorry excuse for a show and only part of New Frontiers.....someone should have told EspnU that they shouldn't tape the Toledo High School band

Nope. They made the right choice! ESPN is totally focused on providing the best entertainment possible- their livliehood depends on it. So they have to know quality when they see it. Capitalism at its finest- the market won and UT's band had its rightful place in the forefront of football musicdom. Of course that doesn't explain our football team.... :-D

Ok, I get that you are joking, but even the most oblivious of Toledo fans must realize that the word "quality" cannot in any way be applied to the Toledo marching band when choosing between them and the FMB....
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby saxyphone1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:41 pm

Sorry, but h2oville rocket is right. If this is the halftime you are referring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_PHhdJX0I It is sloppy visually.
saxyphone1
Egg
Egg

Postby Bigcman0789 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:22 pm

saxyphone1 wrote:Sorry, but h2oville rocket is right. If this is the halftime you are referring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_PHhdJX0I It is sloppy visually.

Compared to the Thriller and the millionth Phantom of the Opera show. I'd take New Frontiers any day..... :?
Bigcman0789
Egg
Egg

Postby Rightupinthere » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:05 pm

saxyphone1 wrote:Sorry, but h2oville rocket is right. If this is the halftime you are referring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_PHhdJX0I It is sloppy visually.

Being an OU band member, you have zero place to judge "appealing."

My ears are still bleeding from the last time I heard that aural abomination called "the Gyrating 110".

Carry on.
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness
Mercenary of Churlishness

Postby jlozer8 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:17 pm

Same show, different performance.

Regardless, it is much easier to not look sloppy when you march a simplified drill like Toledo did (though I would say that the Toledo band looked sloppy in the context of the simplified drill). That said, New Frontiers was NOT sloppy, at least not at the Toledo game. Sure, there may be some minor problems in the performance of the drill; no performance is ever perfect. The drill that the FMB marched in this show is extremely difficult, and they performed it quite well. Sure, Toledo played crowd pleasing tunes like Thriller and did a dance in their show, but it takes another level of band to do what the FMB has done with this show.
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby The Niz » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:29 pm

That particular video of the show is terrible. Look for the one posted by "mysonplaysinfmb". That one is much higher quality.

Even with the fuzzy video, I have no idea what you are talking about us being visually sloppy. If anything the music is off and the marching from that first show was nearly spot on.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to BGSU Bands