GMAC Bowl

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Postby bgmaggot00 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:19 pm

The Niz wrote: As far as I know, the food situation is no fault of the band's at all. University planning vetoed everything the band department had planned out and things went a little crazy at the pep rally.

Care to explain what you mean by this, for the many of us who weren't there?
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Strouse » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:47 pm

The Niz wrote:The Asbury was far and away a superior hotel to the Ramada(n) of 2004. However, I actually would have preferred the Ramada to where we were this year. In '04 there was plenty of time to head out and explore and be free of the group. This year was great, but we almost felt like prisoners because there was absolutely nowhere to go.

Nowhere to go? I beg to differ. There were several places (food places at that) that were around the hotel within walking distances. And no, I'm not referring to across the interstate either. I hated the hotel in '04 basically because there wasn't anything to do in town. Sure it was within walking distances to the convention center, but that was about it. The hotel this year was in-between both the convention center/parade route and the stadium. Plus it was just down the road from the rehearsal site. I definately didn't feel like a prisoner (as you call it niz) in the hotel.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgmaggot00 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:49 pm

Strouse wrote:[ I hated the hotel in '04 basically because there wasn't anything to do in town.

I don't know, the bars on Dauphin St. weren't too far away from that '04 hotel. Not that I'd know anything about that though...
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby The Niz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:59 pm

Strouse, maybe you didn't go out exploring as much as we did in '04, but we were out all day every day walking around town seeing all the sites. There are tons of museums, bars, and even tourist traps down there to keep anyone entertained.

Maggot, from what the higher ups told me, the band staff had everything planned out efficiently and cost effectivley for the whole weekend. However, since the university paid for the trip and not the band,they decided they were using Their plans and not ours. Everything that happened on this trip was the result of university planning and not the band's; for better or worse.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Dr. Reality » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 am

I hope you listened/watched the OSU band last night (half-time show). Their music selection was perfect ---- brought me to my feet. It caught the ear and eyes of everyone. Maybe the BG band should get rid of that half-time contemporary music crap and get back into the marching tunes. It makes a difference. ------------- I can remember a night game years ago -- we were playing Akron and they brought their small band. The BG band put their classical selections to work at half time (putting most of us to sleep). Then the Akron band entered the field and put a string patriotic pieces together that brought the crowd to its feet. It was a marvelous performance. BG ought to do more of that kind of thing.
Dr. Reality
Egg
Egg

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:43 am

bgmaggot00 wrote:
The Niz wrote: As far as I know, the food situation is no fault of the band's at all. University planning vetoed everything the band department had planned out and things went a little crazy at the pep rally.

Care to explain what you mean by this, for the many of us who weren't there?

the basic thing with the pep rally was that we were all supposed to be provided food there after we had finished playing...that didn't happen. I know of a few people that got food, but the rest of us were turned away because "there wasn't enough for all of us". so then we had to re-plan everything to either go out to a dinner at this mall like 45 minutes away or go back to the hotel and order something (which was actually okay because the Chinese we got was AMAZING) but it was still kinda a crappy situation.

not to mention being given COKE all weekend instead of water...that was also not so awesome.
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby bgmaggot00 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:16 pm

Dr. Reality wrote:I hope you listened/watched the OSU band last night (half-time show). Their music selection was perfect ---- brought me to my feet. It caught the ear and eyes of everyone. Maybe the BG band should get rid of that half-time contemporary music crap and get back into the marching tunes. It makes a difference. ------------- I can remember a night game years ago -- we were playing Akron and they brought their small band. The BG band put their classical selections to work at half time (putting most of us to sleep). Then the Akron band entered the field and put a string patriotic pieces together that brought the crowd to its feet. It was a marvelous performance. BG ought to do more of that kind of thing.

Funny you mention that. I was on AIM last night during the game with two other posters on this board discussing how we didn't at all like their song selection. I was fine with the Robin Hood theme, but that's when the ADD kicked in. How in the world did they go from Robin Hood, directly into an Armed Forces Medley? Come on OSU, you have to be able to do something more creative than that for such a large stage. Regardless, OSU sounded and looked a heck of a lot better than LSU's band. I just didn't like their song selection at all, minus the Robin Hood.
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Shakeatailfeather04 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:22 pm

I thought OSU's band was terrible last night. There was absolutely no energy or enthusiasm in their performance at all. Even in the close-ups, the individual members actually managed to look bored. I mean, I was bored by their show, but they should at least fake it ;) They sounded a lot better than LSU's band, but I enjoyed watching LSU much more- they actually looked like they were excited to be there and their show wasn't completely lame.
Time will treat you kindly
Years from now you'll be
Ever dearer to our hearts,
Our University.

We drink MILK and eat cookies all night long, HEY!!
Shakeatailfeather04
Chick
Chick

Postby The Niz » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Dr. Reality wrote:I hope you listened/watched the OSU band last night (half-time show). Their music selection was perfect ---- brought me to my feet. It caught the ear and eyes of everyone. Maybe the BG band should get rid of that half-time contemporary music crap and get back into the marching tunes. It makes a difference. ------------- I can remember a night game years ago -- we were playing Akron and they brought their small band. The BG band put their classical selections to work at half time (putting most of us to sleep). Then the Akron band entered the field and put a string patriotic pieces together that brought the crowd to its feet. It was a marvelous performance. BG ought to do more of that kind of thing.

The problem with most patriotic shows is that they are an absolute cop out. You can always inspire an american crowd with the same old marches and patriotic stuff no matter how poorly it is done. Once in a while you get one that is true art, for example there's the thing Ryan put together in '04. That was a masterpiece and probably better than any patriotic half-time show you have ever, or maybe even will ever see.

I really don't believe many people found either of the fronteirs shows to be boring either.

Basically, the bux were too lazy to come up with anything worth while for their show so they pulled out a few standards and put some VERY simple drill on the field. I think they maybe moved for half of the time they were playing. Lastly, their big thing, the script ohio, was terrible last night. I had never seen people in that band out of step or with conflicting styles until last night.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon30 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:02 pm

I am sorry, but the "patriotic" show has been done to death.

I throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I see one of those shows. It is the ultimate 'safe' show for a band director when he/she has nothing better.

That said, I wish bands were more entertaining. LSU's band stunk. They stood around and did a "dance group" feature? How "high school show band" of them.

Bands need to inject energy. Ohio State's band philosophy seems to be "no mistakes" and that is inherently boring. Too conservative, too "inside the box" Ohio University is energetic and frenetic but sometimes loses control of the music.

As a former competition band director - most of those corps style bands bored me. But he good ones were incredible. If you have ever watched the DCI World Championships, you will see "classical music" at times, but it will blow your mind.

Who does the music arrangements for the FMB now? is it all Ryan? Randall Bass did many of ours. I didn't like them.

I also think there is definitely a place for clever shows like Cal's band when they did their video game show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QNI3W8UB-s

the music was bad. The drill wasn't performed well, but it was entertaining.

This is reminding me of the whole outcry when Chris Bliss did his amazing juggling finale ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8f8drk5Urw ) and Jason Garfield did his stupid spoof ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUXaYCkv-A ) where he tried to prove that Chris Bliss wasn't a "great" juggler and ended up proving that Bliss was a better entertainer if not a more talented technical juggler.

Ohio State is Jason Garfield. The Corp Bands who are afraid to take chances are Jason Garfield. No mistakes, technically flawless, but boring. People dig passion, seeing something new, being entertained.

The FMB isn't for everyone, but they do try to find that balance between being excellent technically and being entertaining.

I just think some people believe the two are mutually exclusive, and they aren't.

I also think some football fans just don't understand what a marching band is about.
Inventor of the Clusterf**k and Shoot offense.
Falcon30
Tubist / Human SubWoofer
Tubist / Human SubWoofer

Postby 1987alum » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Strouse wrote:
The Niz wrote:The Asbury was far and away a superior hotel to the Ramada(n) of 2004. However, I actually would have preferred the Ramada to where we were this year. In '04 there was plenty of time to head out and explore and be free of the group. This year was great, but we almost felt like prisoners because there was absolutely nowhere to go.

Nowhere to go? I beg to differ. There were several places (food places at that) that were around the hotel within walking distances. And no, I'm not referring to across the interstate either. I hated the hotel in '04 basically because there wasn't anything to do in town. Sure it was within walking distances to the convention center, but that was about it. The hotel this year was in-between both the convention center/parade route and the stadium. Plus it was just down the road from the rehearsal site. I definately didn't feel like a prisoner (as you call it niz) in the hotel.

We stayed at the downtown Ramada ... is that the hotel the band stayed at in '04? I thought the location was perfect - within walking distance to a bunch of stuff.
Hey, look at me! I'm all over the InterWebs!
Facebook ~ Twitter @ CoachKarlPA ~ LinkedIn
1987alum
Noah's Dad
Noah's Dad

Postby The Niz » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:39 pm

1987alum wrote:
Strouse wrote:

We stayed at the downtown Ramada ... is that the hotel the band stayed at in '04? I thought the location was perfect - within walking distance to a bunch of stuff.

Correct. It was right in the middle of everything, and it is exactly where the parade starts. Allwe had to do in '04 was finish our pizza in the parking lot, throw on our uniform, and walk accross the street.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jlozer8 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:14 pm

The Niz wrote:I had never seen people in that band out of step or with conflicting styles until last night.

Really??? I saw this from field level in both 2003 and 2006. I've never really been thoroughly impressed with their marching. I remember seeing several people running into each other in the script OHIO in both 2003 and 2006, as well as many out of step. They play well, but not as well as they think they do either. TBDBITL is over-rated.

I also agree with Carlson that their music selection was poor.
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Previous

Return to BGSU Bands