University of Dayton's Pep band

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

University of Dayton's Pep band

Postby FMBfan07 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:16 pm

So i hear UD is bringin their pep band tonight to the NIT game? Will be kinda neat to see two bands in Anderson Arena.
UD's pep band has their own website and has a few songs on it. They even have their own cd just for the pep band. Kinda cool. They seem and sound really good. So be ready. lol

http://campus.udayton.edu/~pepband/
Go Falcons!
Roll Along!
FMBfan07
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Strouse » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:01 pm

that's right, UD is bringing their pep band, and they'll be sitting right next to our pep band...so it'll definately be close quarters. (or at least that's what the email Dr. Hayward sent us said anyway)

in any case, GO FALCONS!!
DESTROY THE FLYERS!!

*forgot to mention that I noticed on that site that their tubas have those bell covers...I'm curious to know if they'll have those tonight at the game for two reasons...1) just to see how bad they look and 2) how much they really affect the sound quality
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgmaggot00 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:59 pm

Strouse, do you not use the panties (bell covers) on the horns in practice anymore? We used the bell covers on the horns for all of the practices so that they'd stay reasonably nice come gameday.

So far as the sound quality goes, they didn't really affect it all that much, as the material was quite thin and permeable. I mean, you're playing on a sousaphone for God's sake, it can't get that much worse anyway.
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgmaggot00 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Oh yeah, that's cool that there were two bands in Anderson tonight. How'd that go?
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FMBfan07 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:38 pm

i thought UD's band was pretty good. They defintally like to have fun, so that was cool to watch.
It was not what you guys did with Hey Baby. UD starting it, BG cutting in and finishing together. That was cool.
Go Falcons!
Roll Along!
FMBfan07
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:11 pm

UD's band was DEFINITELY loud, if nothing else.
The combined Hey Baby was really cool, but I was getting really annoyed with them playing like 4 songs at a time and eating up all our playing time, but oh well. It was a GREAT game regardless of how loud their band was, how many hat changes they made, and how silly their director conducts. ;)
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Strouse » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:55 pm

bgmaggot00 wrote:Strouse, do you not use the panties (bell covers) on the horns in practice anymore? We used the bell covers on the horns for all of the practices so that they'd stay reasonably nice come gameday.

So far as the sound quality goes, they didn't really affect it all that much, as the material was quite thin and permeable. I mean, you're playing on a sousaphone for God's sake, it can't get that much worse anyway.

With the exception of the couple of new horns we've received in the last couple of years, a bell cover wouldn't be much use anyway since they bells all look like crap. Though, rumor is is that Dr. Hayward is planning on getting the bells redone over the summer, or at last a couple of them anyway.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby The Niz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:34 am

I got to see the first half of the game, and UD's pep band could teach a lot to pretty much every M.A.C. school. They play with energy and have fun which made them fun to watch. There are many of us who try to do that in BG but having fun just seems to be nonsense to many people.

They played loud, but they played well. On the other end of the court they sounded great and all parts could be heard clearly. Our band got showed up last night in the first half. Don't know about the second, maybe they ran out of steam. If they had better arrangements for their songs they would have been pretty good.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:33 pm

The Niz wrote:I got to see the first half of the game, and UD's pep band could teach a lot to pretty much every M.A.C. school. They play with energy and have fun which made them fun to watch. There are many of us who try to do that in BG but having fun just seems to be nonsense to many people.

They played loud, but they played well. On the other end of the court they sounded great and all parts could be heard clearly. Our band got showed up last night in the first half. Don't know about the second, maybe they ran out of steam. If they had better arrangements for their songs they would have been pretty good.

They were great in the second half too. And my sentiments exactly on how good they were. I mentioned at the game that their energy, enthusiasm, and care for their team is what all athletic bands should strive to be. They may not have been the overall best band I've seen, though they were up there compared to all the MAC bands I see all the time, but they sure were glad to be there.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to BGSU Bands