Need New Music for the Stands - would love a band opinion

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Postby goofyeuph » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:08 pm

SaxyGirl85 wrote:
The Niz wrote:
SaxyGirl85 wrote:your part in forward falcons isn't anything the mellos, alto and tenor saxes couldn't play 100 times better ;) so you "adding" to that doesn't count. haha

Actually none of those sections can play the line correctly. We have gone over this before, you all have to make a jump half way through the line because your pansies and can't make it all the way down the run. :-D [/code]

ACTUALLY...the tenors have the entire run in their part and i believe the mellos do too and besides, it's not like it's our fault our instrument doesn't play as low as yours...who wants to carry something like that around, anyway? ;)

Actually, the Mellos do not. I can't remember about the Tenors. And yes, it is your fault for not playing an instrument that is as cool as ours :P
TSASOTFMB!!!!
goofyeuph
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:12 pm

goofyeuph wrote:
SaxyGirl85 wrote:
The Niz wrote:
SaxyGirl85 wrote:your part in forward falcons isn't anything the mellos, alto and tenor saxes couldn't play 100 times better ;) so you "adding" to that doesn't count. haha

Actually none of those sections can play the line correctly. We have gone over this before, you all have to make a jump half way through the line because your pansies and can't make it all the way down the run. :-D [/code]

ACTUALLY...the tenors have the entire run in their part and i believe the mellos do too and besides, it's not like it's our fault our instrument doesn't play as low as yours...who wants to carry something like that around, anyway? ;)

Actually, the Mellos do not. I can't remember about the Tenors. And yes, it is your fault for not playing an instrument that is as cool as ours :P

cool isn't really the word i had in mind..... :roll:
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby jlozer8 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Euphonium is probably the easiest band instrument to sound good on.

Why do you think people that can't handle the trumpet switch to Euphonium....

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Euph is a "cool" instrument :lol:
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby The Niz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:50 pm

jlozer8 wrote:Euphonium is probably the easiest band instrument to sound good on.

The must be why we sound so good and you guys sound so bad...

8)
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jlozer8 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:23 pm

The Niz wrote:
jlozer8 wrote:Euphonium is probably the easiest band instrument to sound good on.

8)

I can't be included in "you guys" if you're speaking of last season, since I have graduated and was not part of it.

Can't speak for this past season, but the season before I honestly believe the trumpets were one of the best sounding sections, if not the best.

Maybe things changed this past season, but I didn't hear enough to make that judgement.

Never said the Euphs were bad, but you just can't compare them to the trumpets! Take away the trumpets, you are left with woodwinds playing the melody :roll:
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby Metz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:39 pm

Bigcman0789 wrote:Try telling Hayward that no one likes Sweet Caroline....she will disagree with you and probably eat you alive :evil:

Nah...she can read it on here :D

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the project manager, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby The Niz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:11 am

jlozer8 wrote:
The Niz wrote:

8)

Take away the trumpets, you are left with...

Good intonation :-D

Sorry couldn't help myself.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Strouse » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:27 am

The Niz wrote:
jlozer8 wrote:
The Niz wrote:

8)

Take away the euphs and you are left with...oh yeah...that's right, the euphs don't add anything new!! :P :twisted:
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jlozer8 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:35 am

The Niz wrote:
jlozer8 wrote:
The Niz wrote:

8)

I think your confusing trumpets with fliccs....

Maybe it's just bitterness for not being able to cut it on trumpet in the FMB :P
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:41 am

jlozer8 wrote:
The Niz wrote:
jlozer8 wrote:
The Niz wrote:

8)

I think your confusing trumpets with fliccs....

Maybe it's just bitterness for not being able to cut it on trumpet in the FMB :P

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh!! haha
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Rightupinthere » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:27 am

I couldn't cut it on anything so I became a drum major (although whistle proved to be a little out of my skill level as well.)

:-D
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness
Mercenary of Churlishness

Postby Schadenfreude » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:10 am

bgmaggot00 wrote:B. The syncronization between the PA and the band wasn't close to correct, and the "hiccup" in the middle of the song was just odd.

I think it's cool and ambitious that they tried this. At one home game I was at, the timing was solid. A couple other times, it was a bit off.

Stadiums being stadiums, it may have made a difference where you were sitting. The Band is at the opposite end from the scoreboard (and, I believe, most of the sound). This could be explain a slight delay.

I want our band to do stuff that's great, but that no one else does. Sweet Caroline was okay for this season. I'd rather not hear it again. "Hey baby" was cool. It does feel like our thing -- I can remember hearing it darned near 20 years ago at Perry Stadium.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Falcon30 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:39 am

Schadenfreude wrote:
bgmaggot00 wrote:B. The syncronization between the PA and the band wasn't close to correct, and the "hiccup" in the middle of the song was just odd.

I think it's cool and ambitious that they tried this. At one home game I was at, the timing was solid. A couple other times, it was a bit off.

Stadiums being stadiums, it may have made a difference where you were sitting. The Band is at the opposite end from the scoreboard (and, I believe, most of the sound). This could be explain a slight delay.

I want our band to do stuff that's great, but that no one else does. Sweet Caroline was okay for this season. I'd rather not hear it again. "Hey baby" was cool. It does feel like our thing -- I can remember hearing it darned near 20 years ago at Perry Stadium.

BGs band needs more tradition that the fans can see. Things I loved were Ay Zig (duh) BGSU Cadence, Happy Days, and Beer Barrel.

Lesser traditions like Brass Roots and the Screamer were also great.

My favorite song outside the tradition was when BG played Rocky Top back in the early 90s. The irony was delicious. The flattest campus in America playaing that song...besides, it is a great old bluegrass standard. Too bad UT uses it for their fight song or else we might still be using it.

As far as new stuff...Cleveland State started playing "Cleveland Rocks" a few years ago and it is now kind of the signature song for their pep band. Tradition is trying something and seeing if it sticks. However, we need to try something different and unique, not copying some other school.

The band needs a signature stand tune. A new one that will have some legs and will have a connection with BG. Something that only BG has. something by the BeeGees? Song with Falcon in it? I don't know what, but something like that.
Inventor of the Clusterf**k and Shoot offense.
Falcon30
Tubist / Human SubWoofer
Tubist / Human SubWoofer

Postby The Niz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:24 am

I was about to suggest a BeeGees song, seems appropriate.

I had mentioned in the A-Band group on facebook that it really isn't so much some of the songs we play, but more the way we play them. Much of the band plays with complete lack of energy and enthusiasm and it is painfully obvious to the crowd. Look at Shools Out, we all have fun playing that song, and in turn the crowd has fun listening to it.

We have fun = the crowd has fun. What a concept.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Strouse » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:49 am

Falcon30 wrote:The band needs a signature stand tune. A new one that will have some legs and will have a connection with BG. Something that only BG has. something by the BeeGees? Song with Falcon in it? I don't know what, but something like that.

Aside from the songs you mentioned (ay zig, cadences, etc.), some songs that seem to be "ours" that we've played for at least 4 years is Shake a Tail Feather and Birdland. I know they aren't new but it is what we have currently.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to BGSU Bands