Need New Music for the Stands - would love a band opinion

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Postby goofyeuph » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Strouse wrote:song that seem to be "ours" that we've played for at least 4 years is and Birdland. I know they aren't new but it is what we have currently.

has it really been four years since the band started playing Birdland?? s**t. When did I get old?
TSASOTFMB!!!!
goofyeuph
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Strouse » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:45 pm

goofyeuph wrote:
Strouse wrote:song that seem to be "ours" that we've played for at least 4 years is and Birdland. I know they aren't new but it is what we have currently.

has it really been four years since the band started playing Birdland?? s**t. When did I get old?

It's been at least 4 years man...I'm sure the FMB played it well before I got here in '04 though.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby goofyeuph » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:36 pm

No, we started playing it (religiously) in '04, same year as our first GMAC Bowl. I was more trying to figure out when I got old.
TSASOTFMB!!!!
goofyeuph
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby The Niz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:45 pm

It was the homecoming song in 2004. That means they had played it "x" number of years before, I'm not sure if its 20, 10, 25 or whatever. I definately consider Birdland, Shake a Tailfeather, and You Can Call Me Al are definately FMB fixtures at this point. Unfortunately I don't think we EVER make it all the way through any of them during any game in the football season.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jlozer8 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:13 pm

The Niz wrote:It was the homecoming song in 2004. That means they had played it "x" number of years before, I'm not sure if its 20, 10, 25 or whatever. I definately consider Birdland, Shake a Tailfeather, and You Can Call Me Al are definately FMB fixtures at this point. Unfortunately I don't think we EVER make it all the way through any of them during any game in the football season.

We did NOT play Birdland my first year (2002), which means we started playing it in 2003. Maybe they played it years before, but the current arrangement was not in the folders until 2003.
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby Falcon30 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:50 pm

jlozer8 wrote:
The Niz wrote:It was the homecoming song in 2004. That means they had played it "x" number of years before, I'm not sure if its 20, 10, 25 or whatever. I definately consider Birdland, Shake a Tailfeather, and You Can Call Me Al are definately FMB fixtures at this point. Unfortunately I don't think we EVER make it all the way through any of them during any game in the football season.

We did NOT play Birdland my first year (2002), which means we started playing it in 2003. Maybe they played it years before, but the current arrangement was not in the folders until 2003.

I believe the current arrangement didn't exist prior to 2003...I could be wrong, but check out the copyright date next time you see it.
Inventor of the Clusterf**k and Shoot offense.
Falcon30
Tubist / Human SubWoofer
Tubist / Human SubWoofer

Postby bgmaggot00 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:07 am

goofyeuph wrote:

Agreed. s**t. I'm old. I remember marching along with the FMB in the Mardi Gras parade at the GMAC bowl in '04, and hearing that tune the whole time. That was a darn fun parade.
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby The Niz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:31 am

jlozer8 wrote:

I'm fairly certain it wasn't playedd in '03. I'm not positive because I wasn't there, but as I said before it was the homecoming song in '04 and we usually don't pull up our usual songs for homecoming music. I'm still glad it stuck, its a nice arrangement and its a lot of fun to play, making it fun to listen to also.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jlozer8 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Niz,

I'm pretty sure we did play it in 2003, I was in the band.
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:54 pm

jlozer8 wrote:Niz,

as much as i like to disagree w/Niz usually (;)) I have a feeling he's right. I was around in 2003 and I NEVER heard birdland. We started playing it the first year I marched, in 2004, for homecoming. I think you're just getting a little old, too, Lozer and your years are running together ;)

As far as Chomic and Carlson, you've both always been old ;)

and PS, carlson...the WAS a darn fun parade! haha
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby jlozer8 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:11 pm

SaxyGirl85 wrote:
jlozer8 wrote:Niz,

as much as i like to disagree w/Niz usually (;)) I have a feeling he's right. I was around in 2003 and I NEVER heard birdland. We started playing it the first year I marched, in 2004, for homecoming. I think you're just getting a little old, too, Lozer and your years are running together ;)

As far as Chomic and Carlson, you've both always been old ;)

and PS, carlson...the WAS a darn fun parade! haha

I could have sworn that we played it as a stand tune at least 1 year before it was the homecoming song, but maybe I am just old and senile....
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby FMBfan07 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:18 pm

2003 was my first year that i was in the FMB and i don't remember playing birdland at all. So i believe 2004 was when it was played.
Go Falcons!
Roll Along!
FMBfan07
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby goofyeuph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Lozer, it was '04 for the current version.

Lexie, What you mean I've always been old???? :shock: :wink:
TSASOTFMB!!!!
goofyeuph
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:47 am

I just wanted to say that I agreed with a lot that was said toward the end of page three of this thread.

Songs that evoke a sense of our place. Doing our own thing. Yes! That's exactly it!
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller

Postby Schadenfreude » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:53 am

There are a lot funky marching bands out there.

What about punky marching bands? Is there such a thing?

That would evoke a sense of place, maybe.

I'm gonna start playing my White Stripes CDs and try to imagine a band covering some of the songs. That would be a damned cool marching band.
Schadenfreude

PreviousNext

Return to BGSU Bands