BG/Idaho Game

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

BG/Idaho Game

Postby PresBG » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Listening to the game online via BGRSO/WFAL and watching via ESPN...just wanted to say that the FMB sounds pretty good thus far! A little quiet on the radio feed at times, but what I've heard has been great. Keep it up, FMB - RIGHT UP IN THERE!
6:15......and TOLEDO STILL SUCKS.

President, BGSU Band Alumni Society
Life Member, Kappa Kappa Psi & Tau Beta Sigma
2002-06 Falcon Marching Band Drumline
PresBG
Egg
Egg

Re: BG/Idaho Game

Postby musicman2343 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:48 pm

They sounded fantastic from the stands. We were on the N 40yd line right below the press box. The fullest and most balanced sound I've heard! Way to go FMB!
BGSU Class of 2010
Bachelor of Music - Music Education

Forever a Falcon!

ROLL ALONG!!!!
musicman2343
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:53 pm

I guess I'm going to be "Debbie Downer" here but I thought the whole evening was just an average performance by the FMB.

The Stroh Show was not balanced at all. The percussion needs to bring the volume down just a bit inside. I also heard some phasing and tempo issues that transferred to the field as well.

Pre-game was the most disappointing for me. I love the video entrance, but the line MUST get their entry cleaned up. Those lines were sloppy and not together at all. Everyone has to count together to make it work. I miss "Happy days" but I do like adding the patriotic bit. The lines need a lot of work but repetition will fix that. I do not like the end of the fight song. What is up with the new ending? It make it seem like the song has somewhere else to go but just suddenly ends. The Alma Mater arrangement is different as well. The embellishment that has been added is very nice, but it buries the melody way too much. My personal thoughts about arrangements aside, it looked like pre-game hadn't been run enough.

The transition from the "Fox Fanfare" into the main theme from Star Wars was not clean at all. A break between the two would have solved that. "Cantina Band" had the same issue of just not being in sync. The Star Trek section was great! Back to the future was a little better than average, but had some sloppy moments. Guiding and covering down on the field was off as well. It seemed like it was a bit aggressive of a show for the opener. Maybe something lighter would have been cleaned a little better. It just was not the level of "symphonic sound" I expect as an alum of the FMB.

I am 100% positive the member of the the FMB gave it everything they had, so my concerns lay with the decisions made in the upper levels of the band. Hopefully it's just a case of opening game jitters and it will be taken care of by homecoming. Sorry to be negative, but those were my observations. I CAN NOT wait to take part in my first alumni band event! It's been a while and I am excited as hell to play with the FMB again!

The sun ALWAYS shines in the Falcon Marching Band!!
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby musicman2343 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:59 pm

I could go on for hours on how I feel about that ending of the Fight Song, but I'll keep my mouth shut....

I miss "Happy Days" as well. I just watched a video of the 1989 FMB on YouTube and that was when I realized they didn't play "Happy Days" on Saturday.
BGSU Class of 2010
Bachelor of Music - Music Education

Forever a Falcon!

ROLL ALONG!!!!
musicman2343
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon Commander » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Pigs were flying . . . . they played a song to the EAST stands!!

Glory be
Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jg4242 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:00 am

Was the marching clean? No. Was it any cleaner when I was in? No. Has percussion entry been clean in the last 15 years? Not really. Is the FMB growing, playing better, and being as classy as ever, while playing progressively harder music? Yes. Count me as a proud alum. And yeah, the Stroh Show was unbalanced. But that's due mostly to the way it's staged. Put the drums and trumpets in back, and the balance will improve. But there are only so many ways to set up 290 people in such a small space. These are all good problems to have :)
jg4242
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby transfer2BGSU » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:17 am

Get rid of the flutes, clarinets, and saxophones and replace them with more sousaphones.

Get rid of the trumpets, cornets, flugel horns and replace them with more sousaphones.

Get rid of the euphoniums and trombones and replace them with more sousaphones.

Get rid of the bells and chimes. Keep a drummer or two. One cymbals player.

What it all comes down to is - I NEED MORE SOUSAPHONE!!!!!
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby The Niz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:19 am

jg4242 wrote:Was the marching clean? No. Was it any cleaner when I was in? No. Has percussion entry been clean in the last 15 years? Not really. Is the FMB growing, playing better, and being as classy as ever, while playing progressively harder music? Yes. Count me as a proud alum. And yeah, the Stroh Show was unbalanced. But that's due mostly to the way it's staged. Put the drums and trumpets in back, and the balance will improve. But there are only so many ways to set up 290 people in such a small space. These are all good problems to have :)

Not to be rude, but I don't think its classy when half the band looks like they haven't shaved in over a week.

And how is the same music we played in 2004 harder now than it was then?

I for one like the changes I have seen in pregame. The floating BGSU drill was something I always wanted to do when I was in. I'd still like to see the band kick four steps of a slow march during the B-G-S-U of the fight song.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to BGSU Bands