MAC Hustle Belt: Marching Band Rankings

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

MAC Hustle Belt: Marching Band Rankings

Postby jg4242 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:24 pm

So, the blogger behind Hustle Belt put together a list of marching bands in the MAC. Thoughts?

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2013/8/16/462 ... hing-bands
jg4242
Fledgling
Fledgling

Re: MAC Hustle Belt: Marching Band Rankings

Postby MarkL » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:35 pm

I enjoyed seeing who was ranked at 12 and 13 ... out of 13.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:15 am

As I watched BG's show, I could only remember how weak the program had become until we got our new band director in ???? (don't remember the year), but she's done a remarkable job "rebuilding" this band, increasing its numbers and improving (IMO) its sound on the field.

If our former arranger, now with the USMC, had stayed, I could see us as a legit #1 in the conf.
Don't particularly care for the OU style, but they DO seem to have fun..and their alumni turnout at a game I went to several years ago was amazing... (about 150 on the field).
The show you posted for the U.Mass. was rather uninspiring, but I also was surprised how highly they've been rated...Guess we still don't really know much about U.Mass...a problem when a school only commits to a conference for one sport... (Can you say TEMPLE?) ](*,)
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Dr Hayward has been at BG since 2003, and we are most grateful to have her.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:00 pm

MarkL wrote:Dr Hayward has been at BG since 2003, and we are most grateful to have her.

She's good but she's no Mark Kelly. He demanded and he received perfection.
BGFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jg4242 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:08 pm

Class of 61 wrote:As I watched BG's show, I could only remember how weak the program had become until we got our new band director in ???? (don't remember the year), but she's done a remarkable job "rebuilding" this band, increasing its numbers and improving (IMO) its sound on the field.

If our former arranger, now with the USMC, had stayed, I could see us as a legit #1 in the conf.
Don't particularly care for the OU style, but they DO seem to have fun..and their alumni turnout at a game I went to several years ago was amazing... (about 150 on the field).
The show you posted for the U.Mass. was rather uninspiring, but I also was surprised how highly they've been rated...Guess we still don't really know much about U.Mass...a problem when a school only commits to a conference for one sport... (Can you say TEMPLE?) ](*,)

Mr. Nowlin still does do some of the arrangements for the band. Also, I am not the author of the post. Just sharing for the sake of discussion. It's been too quiet on the band board lately!
jg4242
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Class of 61 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 am

BGFan wrote:
MarkL wrote:Dr Hayward has been at BG since 2003, and we are most grateful to have her.

She's good but she's no Mark Kelly. He demanded and he received perfection.

Rick,
I'm not referring to Mark Kelly, but rather to the guy who followed him... A black guy whose name I don't recall, or perhaps even knew...seems as if BG had slipped significantly in those yrs.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 pm

I believe you are referring to Dr. Toney. He was here after Dr. Olfert (sp?) and before Dr. Hayward. As far as Dr. Hayward, she is no Mark Kelly. But who is? She is the top of the mountain when compared to those mentioned already. But she falls WAY short when compared to Jay Jackson and Tom Rohr. Those two were about as close to Mark Kelly as you could get without being from Iowa.

I am still waiting for Dr. Hayward to come into her own here at BG. I have seen flashes of greatness surrounded by poor fundamental marching, over playing for the sake of sound and not balance, and a general lack of organization. Hopefully she is able to get it together but my hopes are not high.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby able1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Part of me doesn't even want to touch this thread with the direction it seems to be heading, but here goes anyway...

Kelly, Jackson, Sparks, Rohrer, Olfert, Toney, Hayward. Didn't include Moss as he was the director of bands from day 1 and never formally lead the marching band himself.

Kelly was one of the most respected music educators in the country throughout his career. Comparing anyone else to him isn't even fair. Also, he was the director of bands and hadn't been the primary director of the marching band in some time by the end of his career. He did remain heavily involved though.

Jackson was also outstanding and we were lucky to have him here as long as we did. I would put him a few notches above the rest not named Kelly.

Sparks is a very good director that had the bad fortune of following Jackson and with Kelly still around. He was also only here one year while on leave from Maryland. He never really earned the respect of the students. The marching band took a different direction when he was here (from symphonic to loud and edgy) and a slight step down. Still, I think he was very underrated due to the circumstances and timing.

Rohrer made a good impression when he first arrived. He was a pretty solid marching band director, but his forte was concert bands. He was one of the best/most efficient indoor conductors I ever worked with.

Olfert was not a good marching band director to say the least. The band took a nose dive when he was here. It was painful coming back with the alumni band and watching him fumble through the game day routine.

Toney arrived and by all accounts, he was a nice guy and a good indoor conductor, but he made it clear he didn't care much about the marching band and it showed. His time was rock bottom for the band.

Hayward came along and things immediately turned around. I would disagree that she isn't in the same league as Rohrer. They are very much in the same ballpark as far as results on the field.

As for the original subject, that order looks about right to me. I'd change a few in the middle of that list. Also, I'm not a fan of OU, but part of that dates back to when I was at BG and they were extremely rude and unsportsmanlike. That has hopefully changed. There's no denying they're entertaining
able1
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to BGSU Bands