Demolition and Renovation

A place to reminisce about the past or talk about the future of BGSU and Bowling Green.

Demolition and Renovation

Postby bgsufn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Interesting article from Falcon Media on future of campus buildings. Family and Consumer Science and West Hall are slated to come down next. Hanna Hall will be getting a renovation/addition to become the new business building.

Most concerning to me was the paragraph that talked about potential demolition of Anderson Arena.

http://www.bgfalconmedia.com/campus/mor ... 4881f.html
Chris Malanga ('97)
Veteran of BGSU Radio

"If you wanted to be a Buckeye, you should have gone to OSU. You're a Falcon. Accept it. Be proud." - Lizzie Keller, BG News Column
bgsufn
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Demolition and Renovation

Postby Critical Thinker » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:44 pm

Campus has wanted Anderson torn down for years, it's a matter of "when" not "if." The final nail in the coffin will be when they find the funding for a new residence hall. They already don't have enough beds for students, and Anderson is in the exact location they want a res hall.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:11 pm

It surprises me that BGSU would tear down Memorial Hall but not Eppler.
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby footballguy51 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 am

Schadenfreude wrote:It surprises me that BGSU would tear down Memorial Hall but not Eppler.

Eppler has been renovated multiple times. It houses a couple academic programs and many classrooms. Memorial Hall is a giant building built for basketball that no longer performs that function.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:11 pm

Eppler would not be an option due to the reasons state above. There are only a few dominoes that need to fall before Memorial can come down.

From the athletics side, space for gymnastics will have to be found. This can be done one of two ways. The space, new or renovated, will have to meet all training/locker room/practice needs. The options come into play when you add in a competitive space. Currently Anderson Arena is all-in-one for gymnastics. They train there, have locker room space there, have athletic trainers available there, and they compete there. Replicating that space will be difficult without new construction due to seating, scoreboard, concessions, and other items needed for meets. The other option would be to build/renovate space that includes athletic training, practice, and locker rooms. Then host all home meets inside the Stroh Center. We are the only team in the MAC and one of a small hand full across the country that have an all-in-one facility for practice and meets. The second option gives the most flexibility but would require a shift in scheduling philosophy.

I believe campus sustainability is now on the second floor closest to the BG. Space would need to be found for their relocation.

And Military Science (Army/Air Force ROTC) will need to have a new home. This may the the biggest domino. I seem to remember, and I may be wrong, that the DoD provided some of the funding to build Memorial Hall. As I remember it, the catch was that if the ROTC program was eliminated or not sustained in an acceptable manner the funds would have to be repaid plus interest. Again, that may be rumor or I may not remember it correctly but this is a strong program on campus and it cannot just be shoved into a corner.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Administration/Classes/Memories