Next new projects for campus?

A place to reminisce about the past or talk about the future of BGSU and Bowling Green.

Re: Next new projects for campus?

Postby BGSU33 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:20 am

Better to spread lots around than to have one structure somewhere??? Have you taken a walk around campus lately, or over the last decade or so? We already have a boatload of surface lots surrounding huge parts of the exterior of campus and in some cases BG actually purchased other buildings/property to use them as parking lots. We also have lots scattered all over the inner part of campus including one large lot right in the middle of campus. Putting a parking structure on that main central lot would make sense as it would be centrally located (I have heard that's where one is likely to go "when" we finally put one in instead of littering campus with more concrete). BGSU did a study to compare costs per spot for surface lots compared to a parking structure. Of course a surface lot is less expensive but we can afford to build one, we just chose not to. We're putting over $200,000,000 into this current phase of the campaign and a structure could have been incorporated in it too.

To answer your question, yes, I could imagine being a Harshman resident and having a class behind the Union - because I lived in Kreisher for two years and had some classes in West Hall. I rode my bike on nice days and walked in the winter. But I enjoyed running, biking and walking back then and still do now. Judging by the look of half the students and professors nowadays, I would agree with you that many of them would welcome more surface lots. They'd probably also welcomed drive-up-to-classrooms and they'd probably like it even more if we started serving an order of fries with it too. But that's an entirely different topic.

I will add this, aside from learning of another surface lot being added to the inner portion of campus, I do really like many of the new ideas, planning and construction that's going on and slated to occur soon at BG. As part of my job I have been to over 200 colleges and universities across the US and I have seen a wide variety and mix of planning, construction and layout. I often refer to BG as a reference point to compare what I see elsewhere to what we have, thinking if I were lookng at these institutions as a potential first-year student all over again, how would BG stack up? While we certainly fall short in some areas, we also surpass others and it's interesting to see the differences and similarities. One thing that has hampered BG over the years has been its appearance and that seems to finally be a focal point with the revitalization and improvements we are now making and planning to make to the university. All of these others projects seem to have BG headed into a new era with a new, improved look and much better interior flow and I'm excited to see things progress and unfold as they move along.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Not trying to start a dispute, as I was surprised to see that old sorority row is getting torn down too, ( in addition to frat. Row)... And, while not crazy about parking lots being added, I must see the EAST end of campus looks much improved by replacing the old gravel type lots with a LOT of that green stuff you guys complain as missing. Brought my daughter ( OSU) and son in law ( wm. + mary grad) to Indy game. Both commented how much nicer things looked with all the grass and trees in place.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 am

Class of 61 wrote:Not trying to start a dispute, as I was surprised to see that old sorority row is getting torn down too, ( in addition to frat. Row)... And, while not crazy about parking lots being added, I must see the EAST end of campus looks much improved by replacing the old gravel type lots with a LOT of that green stuff you guys complain as missing. Brought my daughter ( OSU) and son in law ( wm. + mary grad) to Indy game. Both commented how much nicer things looked with all the grass and trees in place.

I agree that those gravel lots that were removed and turned to grass do look better, but talking about an area between the football stadium and I-75 and the inner portion of campus are two very different areas.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Previous

Return to Administration/Classes/Memories