Next new projects for campus?

A place to reminisce about the past or talk about the future of BGSU and Bowling Green.

Re: Next new projects for campus?

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:24 pm

Finally, finally, finally! Ever since I stepped foot on campus I have been saying this was a HUGE need for BG. I was even ripped apart on here for saying it over the years. I have been to over 150 college campuses across the country including 111 schools that compete in FBS football, and after visiting each and every one, I almost always leave seeing what so many other schools have done and BG lacks - and this is it. Beautified areas, mature trees, landscaping, collegiate-looking buildings, buildings with design, columns, steeples, shutters and not blocks with windows, etc. I will never forget pulling in to campus with friends who were seeing BG for the first time and as we pulled up to campus they glanced at Harshman Quad said it "looked like a prison." That is not at all the first impression you want people to have of your school. It was embarrassing.

IMO, it's a shame that as our university didn't stick to the uniform look of our originally buildings. They have a classic, collegiate look. Instead, we built buildings that reflect the times, and even worse, buildings that looked like birds, books, pianos, etc. I have noticed over the years we have made some landscaping improvements such as bushes and flowers, but these are things that look best in the summer when most students aren't even there. We need to plant more trees, allow them to mature, and continue to make and work towards a park-like setting in our green spaces. We need them to look beautiful and inviting. We opt for surface lot after surface lot after surface lot clear across campus because of the cost of parking spaces compared to a parking garage (which I understand in some cases but not in every), but if we eliminated a surface lot or two (such as one of the ones on the main part of campus) with a parking garage that features a facade that looks like an actual building (I have seen some parking garages on campuses and cities that look nothing like a garage and blend in beautifully with what's around them), it could help. I have seen stores and shops even built into them with a nice facade so it looks nothing like a garage at all, and a heck of a lot better than surface lots.

I am thrilled to hear we will be making a concerted effort to fix and improve this now, it just makes me wonder one, why it took so long, and two, that it's a shame it's going to take all this time and money to fix something that could have been avoided if just done right (and planned out) in the first place. Guess better late than never. Glad the folks at BGSU finally realize it.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby musicman2343 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:54 pm

BGSU33 wrote:Finally, finally, finally! Ever since I stepped foot on campus I have been saying this was a HUGE need for BG. I was even ripped apart on here for saying it over the years. I have been to over 150 college campuses across the country including 111 schools that compete in FBS football, and after visiting each and every one, I almost always leave seeing what so many other schools have done and BG lacks - and this is it. Beautified areas, mature trees, landscaping, collegiate-looking buildings, buildings with design, columns, steeples, shutters and not blocks with windows, etc. I will never forget pulling in to campus with friends who were seeing BG for the first time and as we pulled up to campus they glanced at Harshman Quad said it "looked like a prison." That is not at all the first impression you want people to have of your school. It was embarrassing.

+1

They have made enormous strides even since I graduated to beautify certain areas, but, IMHO it only temporarily draws your attention away from the mismatch of buildings which is most certainly an eyesore.

On Monday, I arrived on campus of my masters program - Saint Joseph's College in Rensselaer, IN. First things I notice:
1) a beautiful reflecting pool and fountain at the front of campus
2) a formal entrance between two brick walls with the college name, logo, and seal
3) big grassy spaces with lots of trees, pathways, benches, and landscaping all around
4) all buildings in the core of campus in the same style and brick

St. Joseph's has a gorgeous campus. I love BG but I surely wish they had stuck to the style of Old Campus. New buildings are great, but they need to be grouped together to at least foster some sense of theme.
BGSU Class of 2010
Bachelor of Music - Music Education

Forever a Falcon!

ROLL ALONG!!!!
musicman2343
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Does anyone know when these beautification projects are supposed to begin?
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon137 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 am

Lots of good info on what projects are being planned in the most recent alumni magazine.
Falcon137
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 pm

I was on campus for the Tulsa game and saw the rec center was under construction. I also saw the new student health building was open.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Anything new going on on campus?
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:19 am

All of the fraternity and sorority houses are fenced off, so I would expect demolition to begin shortly.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Here's an article giving an overview of everything that's planned on campus: http://www.bgsu.edu/news/2014/07/new-places--new-spaces.html

Highlights:

Redone greek village. Scheduled to be complete Fall 2016.
Extensive interior renovations to old campus (University Hall, Mosley, South, etc.)
Demolition of Administration Building, will be replaced by gateway

The demolition of Harshman Hall and the redone Greek housing will undoubtedly give a better first impression to prospective students, and make our campus look a lot more appealing at a glance. I'm most interested in the demolition of West Hall and the Family and Consumer Science Building, because they're adjacent to the still fully-functional Founders Hall. I don't have the slightest idea how they're going to manage that.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGSU33 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:06 pm

LOOKING AHEAD
Major projects slated for the next several years include the demolition of the Harshman Quadrangle Residence Hall, the Administration Building, West Hall, and Family and Consumer Sciences. Krakoff said those changes will drastically alter the look of campus, opening it up to the city and significantly improving the edges of the University and its gateways.

Normally I don't like seeing current buildings go by the wayside, but I am more than happy to see Harshman and the Family and Consumer Sciences buildings get torn down. Pulling up to campus and seeing Harshman makes it look like a prison, tearing that down and making a landscaped area will be a much more appealing site. The Family and Consumer Sciences is the ugliest building on campus. Period. The idea it was even designed and built that way is hard to imagine, let alone sticking it next to one of our nicest looking classic buildings in McFall Center. The sooner the Family and Consumer Sciences building is torn down the better! Taking down West Hall and the Administration building down will make a nice gateway.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 am

Sounds like some of the Greek houses are already being torn down.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falcon Commander » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:58 pm

Show our Spirit,
Make them Fear it,
Fight for Dear Bee Gee.

REBUILD-ING --> BG HOCKEY!!
Falcon Commander
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:01 am

I just saw this in The Blade in relation to the Greek houses on Thurstin being torn down next month and it said this: "The Thurstin Street site will be made into a new parking lot." A PARKING LOT?!?!? We're building a parking lot THERE??? You gotta be shitting me?! What an awful site for a parking lot!!! We already have surface lots on two of the four corners of campus there and now we're going to make it three?! For crying out loud BG just build a parking garage on an exiting surface lot site already! Yes - I realize it costs more to build a parking structure than a surface lot but damn - how many more surface lots do we need? We have parking lots all over the damn place including a huge surface lot right smack dab in the middle of campus! Look at how all these other universities are building psrking structure that look like actual campus buildings with their facades, have retail spots on ground level, etc. Why aren't we doing this? So now we're going to put a parking on that entire corner of campus too??? It actually WAS a decent looking part of campus and was a prime location for an academic building here. Now that part of campus is going to look like s**t too. Wonderful! I can't wait to see another surface lot of campus! Nothing says "beautification effort" (we're supposed to be making a concerted effort towards one) like another parking lot! Way to go BG!
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby transfer2BGSU » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:55 pm

BGSU33 wrote:I just saw this in The Blade in relation to the Greek houses on Thurstin being torn down next month and it said this: "The Thurstin Street site will be made into a new parking lot." A PARKING LOT?!?!? We're building a parking lot THERE??? You gotta be shitting me?! What an awful site for a parking lot!!! We already have surface lots on two of the four corners of campus there and now we're going to make it three?! For crying out loud BG just build a parking garage on an exiting surface lot site already! Yes - I realize it costs more to build a parking structure than a surface lot but damn - how many more surface lots do we need? We have parking lots all over the damn place including a huge surface lot right smack dab in the middle of campus! Look at how all these other universities are building psrking structure that look like actual campus buildings with their facades, have retail spots on ground level, etc. Why aren't we doing this? So now we're going to put a parking on that entire corner of campus too??? It actually WAS a decent looking part of campus and was a prime location for an academic building here. Now that part of campus is going to look like s**t too. Wonderful! I can't wait to see another surface lot of campus! Nothing says "beautification effort" (we're supposed to be making a concerted effort towards one) like another parking lot! Way to go BG!

Oh. This was written at 1:01 AM.

That explains it.
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:05 pm

transfer2BGSU wrote:
BGSU33 wrote:I just saw this in The Blade in relation to the Greek houses on Thurstin being torn down next month and it said this: "The Thurstin Street site will be made into a new parking lot." A PARKING LOT?!?!? We're building a parking lot THERE??? You gotta be shitting me?! What an awful site for a parking lot!!! We already have surface lots on two of the four corners of campus there and now we're going to make it three?! For crying out loud BG just build a parking garage on an exiting surface lot site already! Yes - I realize it costs more to build a parking structure than a surface lot but damn - how many more surface lots do we need? We have parking lots all over the damn place including a huge surface lot right smack dab in the middle of campus! Look at how all these other universities are building psrking structure that look like actual campus buildings with their facades, have retail spots on ground level, etc. Why aren't we doing this? So now we're going to put a parking on that entire corner of campus too??? It actually WAS a decent looking part of campus and was a prime location for an academic building here. Now that part of campus is going to look like s**t too. Wonderful! I can't wait to see another surface lot of campus! Nothing says "beautification effort" (we're supposed to be making a concerted effort towards one) like another parking lot! Way to go BG!

Oh. This was written at 1:01 AM.

That explains it.

Composed in Berkeley, CA and I still feel the same about it at 1:04 PM. But on a serious note, you said work for the university, any idea why they decided to build a parking lot there???
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:53 pm

BGSU33 wrote:What an awful site for a parking lot!!!

It's way out on Thurstin, away from anyone's first impression of campus. It's next to the Union, Oaks, and a few residents halls. There's no better place for an ugly parking lot.

BGSU33 wrote:Look at how all these other universities are building psrking structure that look like actual campus buildings with their facades, have retail spots on ground level, etc. Why aren't we doing this?

Better to spread lots around than put one structure somewhere. There's no way we could afford it with all the capital projects currently planned, either.

BGSU33 wrote:It actually WAS a decent looking part of campus and was a prime location for an academic building here.

No it was not. All the academic buildings are more in the central part of campus, with residences on the outside. Architects have been doing that on purpose for a reason. Can you imagine being a Harshman resident and having a class behind the Union?

BGSU33 wrote:I can't wait to see another surface lot of campus!

Commuter students and professors would agree with that statement.

BGSU33 wrote:Way to go BG!

I would agree with that statement.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

PreviousNext

Return to Administration/Classes/Memories