Student Government vs. The BG News

A place to reminisce about the past or talk about the future of BGSU and Bowling Green.

Student Government vs. The BG News

Postby mscarn » Fri May 09, 2014 11:50 am

Anyone following that little dustup?
mscarn
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Student Government vs. The BG News

Postby Critical Thinker » Fri May 09, 2014 6:06 pm

I've only heard this from the perspective of pro-USG friends, but here's what I know:

The BG News has been printing garbage for a while now. They routinely misquote sources, or in some cases even make them up. They had made quite a few student groups upset with them. The straw that broke the camel's back came after Dance Marathon, when their headline read "Short of a Miracle," referencing the fact that Dance Marathon missed its fundraising goal (while still making 1/4 million dollars for charity). This ticked off Dance Marathon, which is one of the top 3 largest student groups on campus, and prompted a huge number of students to voice their disproval to the BG News (#ThingsBetterThanTheBGNews was big on Twitter one day, with some pretty nasty responses).

This is where USG got involved. They either passed a proposal or made a proposal that would have required the editor of the BG News to be selected by some kind of campus vote, as opposed to the in-house process it currently is. This enraged the BG News, with them claiming some kind of 1st Amendment violation. USG is completely sick of the BG News at this point.

I won't make any prediction of what comes out of this, but this could possibly be the end of the BG News. I have a friend in USG who was involved with this; I can talk to him if you want to know more.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Sat May 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Nothing was passed, the resolution was tabled. You are right though, if it passes it is basically the end of the BG News, because you can then essentially rename the BG News the USG Rah Rah No Negative Stories Ever So No One Gets Their Feelings Hurt Publication
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Sun May 11, 2014 3:26 pm

I really think this will die at the end of the semester in USG, as it should. Their constituents brought an issue to them and they put a resolution together. That was the right thing to do. It will die in the legislative process, which is the right thing to do. This needs to be a lesson for all groups involved. The BG News needs to tighten up and get their moral compass straightened out. The goal set by DM was missed, but the headline while correct was of poor taste. As for the other mis-quotes, these are college kids learning a craft. Mistakes will be made and should be learned from. As for the other groups complaining (Dance Marathon, I'm looking at your square in the eyes on this one), GROW UP. Not every bit of publicity will be positive in your life. I think the credibility of DM will be diminished when this all shakes out. They said Athletics was upset with the paper, which was strongly squashed by the department. They also tried to bring Black Student Union into the mess and that backfired. In every issue of the paper the posting and letter to the editor policy is printed. Act like college students, follow the process, and take some personal responsibility! Dance Marathon has acted like it runs this campus and has been permitted to act that way for far too long. It is time they got knocked down a few rungs on the ladder. USG, while doing the correct thing by bringing the resolution to the floor of the senate also needs to inform their constituents that there are students that sit on the selection committee for the BG News. So there is student representation. Hopefully this will be a great learning experience for all involved.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Sat May 17, 2014 11:19 am

Well put...hopefully everyone involved will view this as a learning experience and actually...you know...learn something from it.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Return to Administration/Classes/Memories