BGU vs BGSU.....

A place to reminisce about the past or talk about the future of BGSU and Bowling Green.

BGU vs BGSU.....

Postby Flipper » Sat May 17, 2014 11:16 am

Was looking for some info on the Detroit riots (trying to explain the impact of the event to my daughter) when I came across an interesting article on the second to the last page of the scanned Blade.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=8 ... page&hl=en

President Jerome was on a one man mission to obliterate the word "state" from all things connected to the University . James Hof (director of University relations) wanted to go with "Bowling Green" because nobody calls Princeton Princeton U.

I like Hof's idea...I never use the full BGSU or refer to the school as Bowling Green State....to me it is and always has been BG or Bowling Green. Although I have to admit...I love the old BG-SU chant. Given the virtual bloodbath that occurs when we discuss the logo or colors....maybe I shouldn't have brought this up. :)
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Re: BGU vs BGSU.....

Postby Class of 61 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:04 pm

Flipper wrote:Was looking for some info on the Detroit riots (trying to explain the impact of the event to my daughter) when I came across an interesting article on the second to the last page of the scanned Blade.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=8 ... page&hl=en

President Jerome was on a one man mission to obliterate the word "state" from all things connected to the University . James Hof (director of University relations) wanted to go with "Bowling Green" because nobody calls Princeton Princeton U.

I like Hof's idea...I never use the full BGSU or refer to the school as Bowling Green State....to me it is and always has been BG or Bowling Green. Although I have to admit...I love the old BG-SU chant. Given the virtual bloodbath that occurs when we discuss the logo or colors....maybe I shouldn't have brought this up. :)

If you look at older yr.books from " my era" you'll see Nate thurmond in a BGU uni. I too just use Bowling Green when asked where I went to school and never liked the Bowling Green State reference.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mscarn » Thu May 22, 2014 10:01 am

Yeah...the 'state' part seems superfluous. It's not like there's a private university named Bowling Green out there somewhere that we're trying to distinguish ourselves from. The 'SU' add on is tolerable because it fits into the Ay Ziggy Zoomba song so nicely.

'State' is pretty well-linked to Kent although it wouldn't be the worst thing for them to consider omitting. Ball State doesn't really have a choice, though.
mscarn
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm

When it comes to sports I always go with Bowling Green or BGSU. I really dislike when other schools we are facing refer to us as Bowling Green State in their game notes or on their website, it just doesn't sound right
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 pm

! =D>
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby transfer2BGSU » Tue May 27, 2014 9:44 am

BGFalconfromCincy wrote:When it comes to sports I always go with Bowling Green or BGSU. I really dislike when other schools we are facing refer to us as Bowling Green State in their game notes or on their website, it just doesn't sound right

OU wants to be referred to as OHIO or BOBCATS and not OU.

TU wants us to call them the UNIVERSITY of The School Up North. They'll always be TU to me.
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Tue May 27, 2014 11:26 am

transfer2BGSU wrote:
BGFalconfromCincy wrote:When it comes to sports I always go with Bowling Green or BGSU. I really dislike when other schools we are facing refer to us as Bowling Green State in their game notes or on their website, it just doesn't sound right

OU wants to be referred to as OHIO or BOBCATS and not OU.

TU wants us to call them the UNIVERSITY of The School Up North. They'll always be TU to me.

One of my favorite things when looking at game notes for other schools is their little disclaimer area where they tell you what they want you to call them and what not to call them
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby It's the Journey... » Fri May 30, 2014 9:31 pm

For as much support as we are getting from the state of Ohio recently we should drop "State" from the name.
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jacojdm » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Bacon for 75 cents a pound? Sign me up!
jacojdm
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby transfer2BGSU » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:13 am

jacojdm wrote:Bacon for 75 cents a pound? Sign me up!

Try the Double Decker BLT at the Amish Deli (on E. Wooster St).

That sucker has a pound of bacon!
"The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back" -Herb Brooks
transfer2BGSU
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 pm

I think this is an interesting topic. I actually wish we would drop the "state" part and just go with Bowling Green University (BGU). Schools such as Memphis (Memphis State) and Troy (Troy State) also "recently" dropped the word State from their name to better market, promote and grown their universities. I remember Troy announcing they were doing it because they felt being known as Troy State carried the connotation it was more of a regional university than a national university it wanted to be known as and become. Every time I look at my Nate Thurmond BGU jersey I wish we went back to it. I also loved those BGU throwback jerseys we wore a few years ago.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Critical Thinker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:54 pm

I'm perfectly content with State. It's our actual name, why would call ourselves something else? Besides, our logo and wordmark make no reference to State or University, so any decision to drop State wouldn't affect our image in athletics. I'd prefer if our unis said Bowling Green instead of BGSU/BGU anyway. Plus, Bowling Green University sounds like a private school.
Critical Thinker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Falcon Fanatic » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm

Critical Thinker wrote:I'm perfectly content with State. It's our actual name, why would call ourselves something else? Besides, our logo and wordmark make no reference to State or University, so any decision to drop State wouldn't affect our image in athletics. I'd prefer if our unis said Bowling Green instead of BGSU/BGU anyway. Plus, Bowling Green University sounds like a private school.

+1
"Regarding BGSU, I would think their biggest strength is that they never give up, They never slow down and they battle hard even after the other team scores. We have to be on our game and never, ever take the foot off the gas for a second."
~~USCHO Poster
"BG was relentless. It's like they know that a good first pass on the breakout from a defenseman will almost always result in an odd-man rush against them - but they go in anyway and dare you to make that pass. All three of their goals were just grit and effort. That's a team any fan can be proud to support...they give all they've got."
~~USCHO Poster, AFTER Tech beat us
#NeverGiveUp
#NeverSurrender
#Relentless
#Resiliant
Falcon Fanatic
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Administration/Classes/Memories