Alumni Association

A place to reminisce about the past or talk about the future of BGSU and Bowling Green.

Alumni Association

Postby Falcon137 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:35 am

Anyone else frustrated with the alumni association?

It seems that since, BG took a central role in planning events, alumni involvement has dropped considerably. The Dayton chapter, for example, has had 2 meetups since, January 1, 2014. There used to be sendoffs for future BG students, dinners, fundraisers, charity work.

I've e-mailed and called the alumni association in hopes of getting more involved and get told a variation of the same thing -

Dayton has a large base and we are currently planning more events and trying to get more alumni involved...yada yada yada.

Anyone else frustrated with their local chapter? At a time when the university is transforming the campus and spending money left and right you would think you'd want your alumni involved as much as possible.

Maybe it's a local chapter problem, but, it's very frustrating.
Falcon137
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: Alumni Association

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:06 pm

I see your point re: alumni involvement... I think at least part of the problem lies in the fact that there is such a large turnover of alum office staff. I used to be able to walk into Mileti, know 3-4 folks by name because of prior contacts...no longer true. I was selected to be a part of a special group of alums in NE Ohio a few yrs ago, with the purpose of getting more internships etc for BG students. Since my background was in education didn't fit this goal well, I chose to contact various schools where I knew former counselors to try to I.D. More possible students. Formatted a letter, done thru admissions office, all signed by me and delivered to the HS personally. Had the names of approx. 300 then sophs and jrs, the targeted group. Not sure how many of these kids ever enrolled, but was willing to do another letter the following yr.
Only prob? We'd lost our contact folks on campus, w/ no follow up personnel assigned. Group folded w/ no reasons given. I won't even go into details re: a suggestion to get alum chapts. Back to campus for such things as sporting double-headers /w/ meet coach sessions etc. (I had gone to similar event back in 80's). Response was.... " great- we'll get back to you" uh uhh. ](*,)
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Return to Administration/Classes/Memories