Need New Music for the Stands - would love a band opinion

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Need New Music for the Stands - would love a band opinion

Postby 56tbb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:05 pm

Reading through the notes on the teams in the NCAA tourney I noticed that Davidson was another program that used "Sweet Caroline" as one of their big songs.

Anybody have an opinion on whether BG should continue this new "tradition" song, or jump on some other bandwagon......

Also a bit more variety in stand tunes would be sweet. Anybody have an in on new additions for next year?
56tbb
Egg
Egg

Postby Rightupinthere » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:13 pm

The Jay Jackson option Shout special!

There is no finer stand tune. At the hop was another great one but only Chief could direct the horn swing.
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness
Mercenary of Churlishness

Postby Strouse » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:20 pm

As a current band member, I would much rather go back to playing Hey Baby at the end of the third quarter during the football games instead of Sweet Caroline. However, Sweet Caroline has always been done at the hockey games and there it should stay.
~Roll Along You BG Warriors!~
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby tubachic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:18 pm

UUmmm Sweet Caroline at Hockey games? Back in the day, Hey Baby! was only played at Hockey Games and not at Football Games. BTW.......I loved playing Shout and At the Hop, but one of my favorites was Brass Roots.
"Hey Maggots, let's go to the front of the band"
tubachic
Egg
Egg

Postby Strouse » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:30 pm

tubachic wrote:UUmmm Sweet Caroline at Hockey games? Back in the day, Hey Baby! was only played at Hockey Games and not at Football Games. BTW.......I loved playing Shout and At the Hop, but one of my favorites was Brass Roots.

As far as I know of, since freshman year (Fall '04), Sweet Caroline was only for the hockey games, and that's what I was basing my opinion on.
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby The Niz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:40 pm

Strouse wrote:
tubachic wrote:UUmmm Sweet Caroline at Hockey games? Back in the day, Hey Baby! was only played at Hockey Games and not at Football Games. BTW.......I loved playing Shout and At the Hop, but one of my favorites was Brass Roots.

As far as I know of, since freshman year (Fall '04), Sweet Caroline was only for the hockey games, and that's what I was basing my opinion on.

Sweet Caroline just started at hockey games last year. I have been to all but maybe four games since '04 and had never heard it until '06. It definately was something that should have stayed at the IA. Although, our students really loved it at the football games, not so much at basketball though.
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Peregrinner » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 am

The Niz wrote:
Strouse wrote:As far as I know of, since freshman year (Fall '04), Sweet Caroline was only for the hockey games, and that's what I was basing my opinion on.

Sweet Caroline just started at hockey games last year. I have been to all but maybe four games since '04 and had never heard it until '06. It definately was something that should have stayed at the IA. Although, our students really loved it at the football games, not so much at basketball though.

I agree with Niz here. Last year was really the first time I ever remember hearing it at any hockey games, and even then it was only because we requested it.

Personally, I'd like to see it only at hockey games if anywhere, because I remember hearing how well people responded to it. I didn't get much chance to see if people liked it at the football games, but I think it's definitely played out. As much as I love the song (so sue me...), even I'm getting tired of it.

Hey Baby is definitely better and has a longer history at the games. There has to be something else out there that will work well too, it's just a matter of finding out what it is.
- Terry S.
- Freddie Falcon 2007-2008
- Class of 2009

The 2nd Annual Alzheimer's Memorial Charity Golf Tournament
To benefit the Alzheimer's Association's Greater Michigan Chapter
July 16, 2011

http://alzheimersmemorial.org
Peregrinner
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Strouse » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:22 am

I apologize then, I must be thinking of another song (no not Rocky)
Strouse
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rabbit » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:34 am

Rightupinthere wrote:The Jay Jackson option Shout special!

There is no finer stand tune. At the hop was another great one but only Chief could direct the horn swing.

Shout was fun to play. I hated At The Hop, but that was just me LOL!

Hey Baby had some great alternate lyrics the trumpets used to sing :twisted:
Rabbit
Egg
Egg

Postby goofyeuph » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:37 pm

tubachic wrote:one of my favorites was Brass Roots.

YES!!! Bring this song back!!!

(sorry if it already has. unfortunately I haven't been to many football games over the last couple of years :cry: )
TSASOTFMB!!!!
goofyeuph
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby The Niz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:11 am

goofyeuph wrote:
tubachic wrote:one of my favorites was Brass Roots.

YES!!! Bring this song back!!!

(sorry if it already has. unfortunately I haven't been to many football games over the last couple of years :cry: )

Definately not back. We play Rock this party a lot though....
Yeah right girl!

Oorah!
The Niz
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby SaxyGirl85 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:31 pm

we didn't play rock this party hardly at all during the season, we just played it a lot during tournament band...
SaxyGirl85
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Metz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:28 pm

The Niz wrote:Although, our students really loved it at the football games

Since when?! As one who was in the student section every game, NO ONE LIKES THAT F#%$ING SONG! We'll sing it because of other reasons, but those reasons don't happen for basketball very often. Maybe that's why it seems better at football? :?

It needs to go. Hockey was alright, but then they had the band playing it, too...that was too much. Mr. Diamond needs to go.

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the project manager, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby MarkL » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Sweet Caroline ... really cool the first time at football, but since then, not so cool. Fine at hockey in the 06-07 season when just the recording played, but in 07-08 when the band hopped in, its not been as cool, and students were less and less into it as the season went on. When just the band played, no recorded song intro, nobody cared, aka basketball games at halftime. So Sweet Caroline should, I believe, stay as a hockey thing, no band entrance, just the original recording, and bring back Hey Baby for football, because for whatever reason that one always seems to get a response.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Bigcman0789 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Try telling Hayward that no one likes Sweet Caroline....she will disagree with you and probably eat you alive :evil:
Bigcman0789
Egg
Egg

Next

Return to BGSU Bands