Garry Winger off to Michigan State University

The smaller "non-revenue" sports at BGSU.

Garry Winger off to Michigan State University

Postby Bubba Bo Bob Brain » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:50 pm

http://www.sent-trib.com/other-sports/s ... s-06-16-12
or, if you prefer,
http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-gol ... 12aaa.html

By my count, that leaves Penny Dean & Danny Schmitz as the coaches that were here when GC got here.
I suppose now men's golf will soon be going in, as they say, "a new direction".
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Bubba Bo Bob Brain
Chick
Chick

Re: Garry Winger off to Michigan State University

Postby threestooges » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 am

I believe Stephanie Young (women's golf) was at BGSU before GC, too, but I'm not sure.
threestooges
Fledgling
Fledgling

Postby Falconfrombirth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Christopher strikes again!! Garry Winger is a great golf coach and an outstanding person. Reduced scholarships, budget cuts and a lack of faith in the AD are the reasons behind this one. We have lost another good coach, in addition to Van de Walle, Richards and Curt Miller. What on earth is this man doing to our Athletic Department, other than running it into the ground?!
Falconfrombirth
Egg
Egg

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Falconfrombirth wrote:Reduced scholarships, budget cuts and a lack of faith in the AD are the reasons behind this one.

Or the fact that being an assistant at a Big Ten school will always pay more then being a head coach in the MAC or another smaller conference. This isn't the first time a head coach at a smaller school has left to be an assistant at a Big Ten school.

Falconfrombirth wrote:We have lost another good coach, in addition to Van de Walle, Richards and Curt Miller

Van de Walle retired to spend time with her family, specifically her mother, I'm never going to question someone for leaving a job to spend more time with family. She has said multiple times that was her reason for leaving, and if you believe otherwise well thats your issue because from getting to know her I believe her. Curt did what any successful head coach at a mid-major school does, leave for a job in a bigger conference that pays more money. The only thing that should be shocking about this move is that it didnt happen in 2007 after the Sweet 16 run. As for Richards he wasn't winning anymore. Had a revenue sport like football, men's basketball, or hockey been on the downward trend like women's soccer has been and the move was made no one would be questioning it around here, they would be applauding it.
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

Ay-Ziggy-Zoomba, because that's how I roll
BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Double post. ](*,)
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby factman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Cincy- If you knew these coaches that were mentioned, you would also know your assessment is NOT accurate. In Andy's case, there are some internal politics going on in the department. Why do you think they did not do a search for a head coach but instead named an interim? The exception maybe Curt Miller, that simply left for a better position, but there was also no love lost between the staff and the administration, no matter what they said publicly.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:55 pm

I never said I knew all the coaches, just Denise, and I'm not even saying I know her that well, just from talking to her she always mentioned retiring to spend more time with her mom. If she didn't want to reveal something thats fine, and her business, just going off what I heard her say when talking with her casually. As for Andy I assumed there was no search because of how late the move happened, like when Paluch resigned, it was late in the process, so Williams was the interim for a year so they had more time for a search after the following season. I expect there to be a women's soccer search after the season unless the team has an amazing turnaround this season. I don't know Coach Winger, I've met him once for a class where we toured the indoor golf facility at the Doyt, so I have no idea if he has issues with the administartion or not, but this story doesn't scream to me like GC screwed him over or kicked him out like some have thought about recent coaching change, to me it looks like a guy advancing his career and make more money for his family
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconfrombirth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Cincy.....

In principle I agree with you about a head coach in the MAC leaving for an assistant role in the Big Ten as being an understandable career move. However, in this situation we are discussing a former BGSU student-athlete who had been our head coach for fourteen years and was a "lifer", if he had been respected and his program supported.

I will perhaps concede to you on the Curt Miller point, although he was not a fan of Christopher. Van de Walle was pushed into retirement after being given one season in the Stroh Center. It is true she gets to spend more time with her family now, but that was NOT her choice nor did she have any say in it. Women's soccer has enjoyed more success (in the classroom and on the field) than a majority of our programs. And yet a coach still loses his job. I think the word nepotism is used when a family member receives favorable treatment without merit, but I don't know what the word is when a "friend" rather than a relative benefits.

I noticed that you didn't say Christopher is doing a good job as our AD. At least we agree on something!
Falconfrombirth
Egg
Egg

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:33 pm

You are correct about the success of women's soccer, and I admit I may be coming from too much of a revenue sport perspective on the situation. All I know is this, change it from women's soccer to men's basketball, football, or hockey, and the majority of the people on this board would have been calling for Richards head.

As for how GC is doing his job, I didn't comment on that because that horse has been beaten to death on this place. Personally the only thing I care about is the games, not the behind the scenes stuff, so when it comes to his job the only thing that matters to me is hiring. With the exception of Coach Orr I believe he has done a good job at hiring coaches. The jury is is obviously still out on Roos and Tomic, but I think they have the talent to continue the success of those programs. All others he has hired I believe have their teams pointed in the right direction (men's hoops the exception). I think for those hires that aren't brand new this upcoming school year is a make or break year for their teams, and my opinion of those hires may be different 365 days ago. I certainly hope its the same though and that those sports continue to improve and have us winning MAC titles
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconfrombirth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:57 am

But it wasn't men's basketball, football or hockey.....it was women's soccer. Apart from women's basketball, name another BGSU program that has won more MAC championships and been to the NCAA tournament in the last 7 or 8 years.

If he has done so well with his hirings, which of Christopher's coaching hires have won a MAC championship?
Falconfrombirth
Egg
Egg

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Falconfrombirth wrote:If he has done so well with his hirings, which of Christopher's coaching hires have won a MAC championship?

Its a funny question, because the only answer to the question is Orr, which I think was a bad hire.

Yes the MAC championships are not there, I never said they were, and they need to start being there. Its why I said this is a make or break year for a lot of his hires. I may think they are good hires now, but if their seasons don't go as well as many think they can my opinion of the hires will can. Right now I think sports like football, men's soccer, hockey, softball, and volleyball are all pointing in the right direction and will have good seasons. And if I'm wrong and they don't have good seasons and I change my mind on my opinion of the hirings, well it won't be the first time that I'm wrong, and it'll prove why I'm in grad school posting on message boards instead of working in college athletic departments :-D
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Falconfrombirth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:11 pm

I respect your right to an opinion, but that is all it is. The facts remain there is more to Garry Winger going to Michigan State than career advancement, Richards was replaced by a close "friend" of the lead female administrator and Van de Walle was forced to retire against her will. That is what happened, only Christopher can tell why. His hires have won one MAC championship in six years compared to many during the leadership of Paul Krebs.
Falconfrombirth
Egg
Egg

Postby BGFalconfromCincy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Falconfrombirth wrote:I respect your right to an opinion, but that is all it is.

And thats why we have places like this, so we can all express our different opinions. I don't expect them to all be the same, because if they were this place would suck. I'm not going to try and pretend that I have insider information from people in the department, because I don't. I would love love love love love to have some of the inside dirt that others around here have, but I don't. All I have is my opinion, and I'll continue to express it here, whether people agree or disagree with it. Thats what makes this place fun
BGSU c/o 2009 & 2013

BGFalconfromCincy
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Bubba Bo Bob Brain » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:02 pm

BGFalconfromCincy wrote: ... and it'll prove why I'm in grad school posting on message boards instead of working in college athletic departments :-D

I applaud your approach of working on your degree and supporting your teams. I doubt that any of your instructors will ever teach you one thing they SHOULD teach in their sports management classes, and that's the hard life lessons of internal politics in athletic departments. They most likely will paint a rosy picture due, in part, to at least one of the following suggestions:
a) they don't know about the inner dirt
b) they know about the inner dirt but won't mention it because they still work for THE MAN and their jobs would be in jeopardy if they said anything
c) they're part of the inner dirt

Still, you'd think one of your classes would touch on topics like
how to stay honest in a rigged system
how to keep your nose clean
how to present your positive points of view without being seen as a dissenter or "not a team player"

Hang in there, Cinci, and keep your eyes open.
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Bubba Bo Bob Brain
Chick
Chick

Postby It's the Journey... » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Falconfrombirth wrote:I respect your right to an opinion, but that is all it is. The facts remain there is more to Garry Winger going to Michigan State than career advancement, Richards was replaced by a close "friend" of the lead female administrator and Van de Walle was forced to retire against her will. That is what happened, only Christopher can tell why. His hires have won one MAC championship in six years compared to many during the leadership of Paul Krebs.

That is a funny statement. Basically you are blasting a differing opinion but offering no hard facts whatsoever to prove your position.

I also love how you use the term "friend". Grow a pair and say what you are thinking.

Do as I say, not as I do?????
"If all do not join now to save the good old ship of the Union this voyage nobody will have a chance to pilot her on another voyage."
A. Lincoln

The BGSU Men's Chorus
America's Finest Singing Machine
BGSU Brothers Sing On

Charge on Colts, Charge on!

"ROLL ALONG!"
It's the Journey...
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Other Sports