2020 Recruiting Class

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

Re: 2020 Recruiting Class

Postby hammb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:01 pm

factman wrote:I believe each sport is treated individually.

Yep. You get 5 years to play 4 if each sport.

I've seen guys play 4 years of football then go play basketball for a year, or vice versa.
hammb
The Stabber of Cherries
The Stabber of Cherries

Postby Flipper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:34 am

I think Chris Weinke played college football into his 40';s
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:55 am

I think both the “athletes” in the 2020 class will be DB’s, so a few more to add on the defensive side.
It’s not my point of view, it’s a fact.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:59 am

[quote="drumstix2388"]Heard that, as of right now, we are able to hang on to Gazarek because of his opportunity to be a two-sport athlete here. That'd be a big one to keep in this year's class.

My assumption is the MSU offer is not a take offer, more a “we like you” offer, and if something goes bad, we may call you late to make it real.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm

roguewarrior wrote:My assumption is the MSU offer is not a take offer, more a “we like you” offer, and if something goes bad, we may call you late to make it real.

How does that work? Are you referring to changing expectations on playing time?
Schadenfreude
Professional tractor puller
Professional tractor puller

Postby Globetrotter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:30 pm

You have 5 years to do whatevs. You can play Basketball for four years at Duke and then play QB for Syracuse for a year if you want.
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby drumstix2388 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:25 pm

Globetrotter wrote:You have 5 years to do whatevs. You can play Basketball for four years at Duke and then play QB for Syracuse for a year if you want.

Oh man, I forgot about Paulus. I should have known the answer considering my background, but wasn't positive. Thanks for the clarifications, everyone.
Twitter is @MachiaBilly
drumstix2388
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
roguewarrior wrote:My assumption is the MSU offer is not a take offer, more a “we like you” offer, and if something goes bad, we may call you late to make it real.

Sparty likely doesn't want him playing two sports. His offer there is basically "we're interested in you as a football player only, but if you change your mind on BG or if we have a desperate need, we'll swing back around."
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:

MSU has over 100 offers on the board. Each offer is relatively meaningless until they ask you if you are willing to commit. It’s by no means a marriage, and until they sign their NLI even a commit can be pulled by the school, or the kid . It’s December, if it was a “take” offer, he would have commited to MSU by now. He can’t be squeezing MSU..... imagine a power 5 not far from home offers you a spot, your not going to say IM IN! Immediately?!? I would bet your life that it is not a take offer through today..... but.....it could change by Dec 18, if something goes awry in MSU’ s board, and a spot opens for him.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:57 pm

jpfalcon09 wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:

Sparty likely doesn't want him playing two sports. His offer there is basically "we're interested in you as a football player only, but if you change your mind on BG or if we have a desperate need, we'll swing back around."

So you think Loeffler is willing to let him miss winter lifting and spring ball for 4 years, so he can play baseball?? I would bet that is a NO.
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby factman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:45 pm

We have had a number of athletes do it successfully.
Bob Niemet was probably the most prominent as he was our starting QB and 1st baseman and drafted by SF
If I remember correctly, Jeff Groth was all-conference I both sports and a WR in the NFL. There are a number of others and it works well if the coaches are willing to work together.
If he is not willing to work with it, he is likely not to get him. It reallY isn’t that tough to work out.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:51 pm

factman wrote:We have had a number of athletes do it successfully.
Bob Niemet was probably the most prominent as he was our starting QB and 1st baseman and drafted by SF
If I remember correctly, Jeff Groth was all-conference I both sports and a WR in the NFL. There are a number of others and it works well if the coaches are willing to work together.

I’m not saying it can’t be accomplished, I’m saying under the current roster circumstances and trying to build a culture, they wouldn’t want him missing from that in this crucial year(s).
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby factman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Seems to me that an athlete that is willing to work hard enough and long enough to play TWO D-1 sports, is setting a great example of the culture you want to create.
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby roguewarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 pm

factman wrote:Seems to me that an athlete that is willing to work hard enough and long enough to play TWO D-1 sports, is setting a great example of the culture you want to create.

Except he doesn’t lift, he doesn’t get stronger, he doesn’t put on weight, doesn’t learn the offense, doesn’t get timed with the lineman, doesn’t get timed with the QB, doesn’t interact and bond with his teammates, doesn’t know his position coach......
roguewarrior
Egg
Egg

Postby Flipper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:25 pm

We've had football players help out on the basketball team in the recent past
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

PreviousNext

Return to Football