What happened?

Discussion of the Falcon football team.

What happened?

Postby falconfan1999 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:42 pm

We used to have more activity on this site, but like the football program, things seem to have really gotten slow, and maybe less interest. Meanwhile, other BG programs are doing well. Not much discussion about those in other forums. Any thoughts? What can we, as alumni and fans do to get things rolling again?
"It's not fast food, it's good food quickly!"
falconfan1999
Peregrine
Peregrine

Re: What happened?

Postby Class of 61 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:00 am

I alluded to this problem when the BG “crowd “ at the Kent game totaled TWO in the area that BG fans usually place a hundred or more. There were obviously more folks there but the goal line seats typically have a large contingent partially due to proximity of large alumni presence in NE Ohio.
Yes, this is gonna be a LOOONG season. What we need to watch for is whether these kids improve or regress during this time. It wouldn’t hurt if we as fans support them by showing up for games .

In case you haven’t heard or received notice, there will be another bus trip for NE Ohio alums for the Toledo game. We did this last year and I was disappointed when only 18 folks signed up for the trip. There is NO WAY that this small amount of NE alums should show up . We had a great time, played Falcon trivia games on way. Cost is $50 which includes round trip bus , admission to the Falcon tailgate, as well as game ticket. Heck of a deal IMO.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby pdt1081 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:32 am

falconfan1999 wrote:We used to have more activity on this site, but like the football program, things seem to have really gotten slow, and maybe less interest. Meanwhile, other BG programs are doing well. Not much discussion about those in other forums. Any thoughts? What can we, as alumni and fans do to get things rolling again?

Forums in general are dieing a slow death across the internet. It doesn't matter the content, they are all slow. Facebook groups have pretty much taken over. I think at one point in time, I was active on 10 or so forums. As they have sold out and been overrun with ads, I'm down to about 4 now. All 4 are slow.
Phi or Die
pdt1081
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:54 am

I would love if this forum and this site in general were more active. I've always loved talking BG sports, and I wish more people were able (had the free time) to talk as much as I want to.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:59 am

1. Its a bye week.
2. Its a rough season.
3. Local media has been less thorough than a decade ago.
4. The old brass of this site are older and busier. I used to have time to write my old weekly game previews. Not a chance anymore.
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby footballguy51 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:05 am

To be honest, I don’t have much positive to say about the football team. I guess I’m following my mother’s rule and just not saying anything at all.

I have season tickets to basketball this year. I plan on being active in the forums around then. I also know I don’t get active with discussing sports I don’t attend or watch, so I probably won’t say much about any f the other sports. That’s just me.

Also, like MarkL, I don’t have the time I once did. My wife and I are expecting our first child in April, so I’m trying not to go insane.
ROLL ALONG!!!
footballguy51
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:06 am

MarkL wrote:1. Its a bye week.
2. Its a rough season.
4. The old brass of this site are older and busier. I used to have time to write my old weekly game previews. Not a chance anymore.

Can't you forgo sleep tonight? I'm dying to read more about BG football! :lol:
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:57 am

For me:

1. The program is in the depths of Hell right now.
2. This board is filled with alumni who primarily graduated before 2010, which was the advent of social media. They have families, careers, etc. Less free time to devote to here.
3. I get better interaction on Twitter with media folk and other BG fans.
4. Plenty of trolls here the last few years have made this place less enjoyable.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby HoopsFan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Hmmm, Trolls? The noise ratio on twitter is far more worse that the trolling we get here and you can just ignore their posts by putting them in your enemies list.

The other thing is that my firewall blocks all ads so I don't see ad insertions unless I use my cell phone.

Problem solved.

HoopsFan
HoopsFan
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: I can see the lights of the Football field from here

Postby jpfalcon09 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:19 pm

HoopsFan wrote:Hmmm, Trolls? The noise ratio on twitter is far more worse that the trolling we get here and you can just ignore their posts by putting them in your enemies list.

The other thing is that my firewall blocks all ads so I don't see ad insertions unless I use my cell phone.

Problem solved.

HoopsFan

I have good use of the "enemies" function on here. Much the same on Twitter with the mute feature. It's easier to have free flowing conversations on Twitter than here as well. Those people don't post on here as much as they did even five years ago, but I know where to find them.
Follow me on Twitter @Mr__Jeremy
jpfalcon09
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby MarkL » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:17 pm

mbenecke wrote:
MarkL wrote:1. Its a bye week.
2. Its a rough season.

Can't you forgo sleep tonight? I'm dying to read more about BG football! :lol:

In my heyday of doing these previews, I would watch the opponent's previous games of interest (or at least catch the big plays and watch a few random drives to get a feeling for the team). I'd look up their stats and see how the stat lines up with what I see on the field. I would take down notes on everything. That's all before writing the first word of the preview. The actual preview would take an hour or more for first draft. Then edits. Then copying from notepad++ to the website, then add in bullet points and highlighting. It was quite the endeavor.

I'm too busy for that now. And also, I don't think it would do much good. The teams in the past when I did these previews were a reflection of the staff. 2015 was exactly the team Babers envisioned. I think if it weren't for Johnson's injury we would have seen similar in 2014. 2017 was the team Jinks couldn't get out of their own way. There was talent on that team and a lot of little pieces worked but they never put together a complete effort and made all new mistakes each week. 2019 however is the team Loeffler is stuck with. So I don't really think previews this year make much sense.

That all said I'm really proud of the work I did. Both MTSU previews, 2015 NIU, 2015 bowl, 2017 Ohio, and 2017 NIU were really good posts IMO. Maybe someday if I sense the interest on the board and if I have the time, I'll get back to it.

Btw I'll be at the UT game if anyone wants to catch me for a beer. :drinkers:
MarkL has spoken.
You may all now return to your daily lives.
MarkL
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:03 pm

That's awesome!

Looking forward to your 2022 previews, Mark. [-o<
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Flipper » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:04 pm

I'm here because the place has a sentimental attachment...the origins of this site go back to 2000 or 2001. I definitely remember following along with the UT game in 2001 while I sat at home with my wife and our newborn daughter.

Daughter is turning 18 in a month and a half...so...yeah.
It's not the fall that hurts...it's when you hit the ground.
Flipper
The Global Village Idiot
The Global Village Idiot

Postby zete » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 pm

The few featured MAC games I have seen on TV, with the exception of Western/Central, tell me most schools don't have fans flocking to the stadiums anymore. After Miami was beaten so badly in Columbus, it seemed only a few thousand may have come out to watch the Buffalo game. A game featuring two East contenders. It is so obvious the camera crews are very good at keeping the camera off the stands which would only take from game day atmosphere. But when they do pop up it seems so so sad to see so few there to see the games live. Actually it is pathetic. :cry: Yea, i know this has been a problem for years. A problem that will probably always be there.
Thus, if that is any kind of indicator, it makes sense that quite simply there is little interest in MAC games/discussions.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Class of 61 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:06 pm

Sad... to think BG used to draw crowds in the high teens and low 20’s. Not to mention what was largest MAC crowd at time vs TU. 30k +. As well as the GAMEDAY game vs NIU. My late brother even flew in from Texas for that one , and he was a Cincy grad.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Next

Return to Football