Turner's Injury

BGSU Men's Basketball!!

Re: Turner's Injury

Postby nickm0110 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
nickm0110 wrote:Out for the year as in 2019 or the rest of the season?? I hope just 2019!

It would be really sweet if this post is from Nick Mileti!

Sorry!! Nick Moore
nickm0110
Egg
Egg

Postby BGSU33 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:50 pm

Does anyone know if Turner has even started practicing again yet? He's coming up on a month since the injury happened. He's not going to be back for a game until he at least gets back on the court in practice first.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BGSU33 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:15 pm

lookimrory wrote:My friend who has contact inside the team told me today Turner is out for the year. I'm hoping its not true but I trust this source

With next to nothing coming out of the BG camp, this seems like it could be true with each passing week. They said they wouldn't try and rush him back, but is it asking too much to give a simply update on the MAC Preseason Player of the Year??? It's as if he's not even a member of team any longer.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby AyZiggy97 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:28 pm

BGSU33 wrote:
lookimrory wrote:My friend who has contact inside the team told me today Turner is out for the year. I'm hoping its not true but I trust this source

With next to nothing coming out of the BG camp, this seems like it could be true with each passing week. They said they wouldn't try and rush him back, but is it asking too much to give a simply update on the MAC Preseason Player of the Year??? It's as if he's not even a member of team any longer.

I was in Atlantic City and, from what I was able to find out, it seems like they are hoping for him to be tournament ready. The two ways I heard it would never meet journalistic standards, so it's not worth explaining it all. But count me among those who suspect he has already played for the last time this season.

Of course, a little insight from BG would be helpful. They do not need to give fans every detail, but a realistic timeframe should be expected. When Matt Johnson got hurt in the Western Kentucky game, they said he was out for the season. I have defended the department against what I believe to be petty gripes on this board. But not disclosing the length of time that Turner will be out is a regretful decision.
AyZiggy97
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby zete » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:04 pm

BGSU33 wrote:Does anyone know if Turner has even started practicing again yet? He's coming up on a month since the injury happened. He's not going to be back for a game until he at least gets back on the court in practice first.

Do they have closed practices? My guess would be no, thus I would think someone locally would drop by to take a look.
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:39 am

Clearly, if JTurner is to return any time soon, we'd be well clued in by now. We need to accept that JTurner won't have an impact on our season this year.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Globetrotter » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:47 pm

I think he could be back any game. Has anyone seen him walk lately?
Globetrotter
Turbo
Turbo

Postby BGSU33 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:01 pm

AyZiggy97 wrote:
BGSU33 wrote:

I was in Atlantic City and, from what I was able to find out, it seems like they are hoping for him to be tournament ready. The two ways I heard it would never meet journalistic standards, so it's not worth explaining it all. But count me among those who suspect he has already played for the last time this season.

Of course, a little insight from BG would be helpful. They do not need to give fans every detail, but a realistic timeframe should be expected. When Matt Johnson got hurt in the Western Kentucky game, they said he was out for the season. I have defended the department against what I believe to be petty gripes on this board. But not disclosing the length of time that Turner will be out is a regretful decision.

First off, thanks for the info. This is more info than anyone has provided. Second, when this injury happened, the hope was for him to be back by MAC play. That’s coming up next week and I highly doubt it’s remotely a possibility at this point. I’m starting to feel not only might he not play again this season, but maybe never again at BG at this point. This injury was the last thing BG needed. We were the preseason favorite to win it all and he was the preseason player of the year. Everyone was picking BG to end the drought, become the last MAC team to win the MAC Tournament and FINALLY back to the NCAA Tournament. None of that is going to happen without Turner.
GO BG!!!
BGSU33
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:33 pm

I'm thinking he's going to be back at any time. Could be as soon as next game, with Hartford in town as a tune up for MAC play. Could be the Kent State game next Friday. I'd be pretty surprised if he's just done for the season. THAT seems like something we would know. They wouldn't be acting like he was going to be back if they knew he wasn't going to be.

I trust the coaches and training staff to make a good decision here. No need to rush a kid back and reinjure him - there are more important things than basketball. When he's ready, he'll be back. And if he can't come back and he goes pro or moves on, I'll be nothing but happy for him. Juice is a good dude, and we were lucky to have him here at BG.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BPardonMyTake » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:43 am

mbenecke wrote:I'm thinking he's going to be back at any time. Could be as soon as next game, with Hartford in town as a tune up for MAC play. Could be the Kent State game next Friday. I'd be pretty surprised if he's just done for the season. THAT seems like something we would know. They wouldn't be acting like he was going to be back if they knew he wasn't going to be.

I trust the coaches and training staff to make a good decision here. No need to rush a kid back and reinjure him - there are more important things than basketball. When he's ready, he'll be back. And if he can't come back and he goes pro or moves on, I'll be nothing but happy for him. Juice is a good dude, and we were lucky to have him here at BG.

Curious as to what makes you think he'll be back at any time? I tend to agree more with your last statement of him not coming back and trying to go pro. Whether or not it's the right decision, can't help but think of Omar Jacobs in '05 after his injury. Would make more sense from a basketball perspective being that he has more options potentially signing with the G league or playing overseas. Can't imagine he would get drafted in the NBA at this point?
Class of '15. Former Townie---Come from a long line of Falcons.
BPardonMyTake
Egg
Egg

Postby Falconwriter » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:16 pm

AyZiggy97 wrote:
BGSU33 wrote:

There is no reason BG couldn't have given out some information on this. None. Why they've taken a "radio silence" stance is both mystifying and frustrating. The only thing I can think is that Turner has said he wants no information released, in which case the university's hands would be tied. Otherwise, I would have expected some type of general statement(s) by now.

It's because of this total information blackout that I am pessimistic.
The poster formerly known as BGwriter
Falconwriter
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby BleedOrange » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:54 pm

Yup, agreed. I'm looking for Zeigler to get way more minutes.

If JTurner was OK, I see no obvious incentive for him to want this radio silence. If he wants to be scouted for professional ball, he'd want it publicly know that he'd be returning soon.
BleedOrange
Falcon Hoops Lifer
Falcon Hoops Lifer

Postby Diemilkweed » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:51 pm

I don't think the silence helps even if he IS looking at going Pro instead of coming back this year. The only way this helps at all is if he tore his hamstring completely off the bone and is hoping that after surgery and rehab the severity of the injury won't be noticed by the medical staffs for pro teams.

And frankly, that's not likely.

If I am a pro team of any sort, the silence makes me more nervous than anything he could come out and say. In part because communicating ervery last stupid little thing about your game and injury status is part of life as a pro. If he's refusing to do that now, does that say gret thingsa bout how he'll handle pressure from the press in the future?
Diemilkweed
Egg
Egg

Postby zete » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:35 am

I think they have said it is a hamstring. Hamstrings take 6-8 weeks to heal completely. So maybe he will take the floor near the end of the season. Meanwhile, the team will play the MAC season looking for a decent seed going into the tournament. ..........Enter Turner, and on to the championship game is my best guess and hope at this point. :wink:
SAme old Same old
zete
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby mbenecke » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:38 pm

He's already been down 5 weeks. Friday night seems like a great time to get back.
BGSU '20. Roll Along!
mbenecke
Peregrine
Peregrine

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Hoops