An old FMB guy that just found this forum

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

An old FMB guy that just found this forum

Postby MikeBG86 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:59 am

Greetings to all of you.

I just stumbled upon this forum and have found the comments quite interesting

I must also admit to being confused - I have been way out of touch since I graduated in 1986. The discussions re: directors of the FMB have been pretty intense although I gather most of you are on board with the current leadership.

I marched in the drumline in the 1981 and 82 seasons. I came from a drum & bugle corps background and found the 2 styles just too conflicting for my young brain so left FMB for DCI after 2 years. But I will say this, those 2 seasons were an absolute blast! We were under the leadership of "the Chief" and Barry Kopetz - great directors both.

I have a question about the current membership of the band. Do any of the kids march DCI ? To be honest, back in my day there were maybe 4 of us in a group of over 200 that participated in drumcorps as well. I always found that odd.

Good luck to everyone for the remaindor of the season. Since i am in Columbus I may make the trip to Homecoming in a few weeks to check out the FMB
MikeBG86
Egg
Egg

Postby factman » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:10 pm

Welcome!!! Pass the word. :D
factman
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Metz » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:13 pm

It's great to have you posting! There are still kids that do DCI as well as FMB currently. I can't give you an exact number but it's probably between 5 and 10. I do know many other students though like you as well that stopped FMB for DCI. In fact, this past week I asked one why he didn't march in the FMB and he said once he did drum corps he realized there was nothing else for him to learn being in marching band. I guess that is a valid excuse :D

If you do make it to homecoming, you won't see a ton of marching but the sound will still be great. Come on over to the band and say hi though! It's great to see alumni supporting us!
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby jlozer8 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:40 pm

There are a few people in the FMB that marched DCI, maybe 4 or 5 at the most, but one of them marched in Southwind, and they suck so bad that that doesn't even count.
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby Class of 61 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:45 pm

Mike,
As a non FMB person, but a long time poster on this site, I have only one question for you...and please don't take offense.
Why would a BG alum who lives in Columbus say he "may" attend Homecoming? I guess I'm a pretty old fashioned guy, who graduated more than a few years before you, but I wouldn't miss Homecoming (unless of course it occured the day of my son's wedding as was the case about 4 yrs ago.)
While you're at it, come join the AZZ group near the golf course for a bit of tailgating prior to the game.... it's a very friendly and welcoming group that I enjoy being a part of. 8)
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Bassdrummin » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:46 pm

Hey whats up. I'm one of those 5-10 kiddies who marched DCI. It's hard sometimes going to band knowing you will never learn 1/4th of the amount you learned during the summer. I dont go to FMB to learn new things, I go there to give back to an activity that has given me so much in return. I find it as an opportunity to teach those who do not have the time to spend in a drum corps. So that way, even though they do not have any drum corps experience, they have me who can teach them whatever they need to know at a drop of of dime. I can't blame others for leaving the FMB because of DCI, I flirted with the idea for three years now. Now that i'm graduating, I realize that the FMB had given me everything I needed to make the next step to a higher stakes activity like drum corps, where i've done things I never thought I could possibly do. Now it's my turn to do exacty what my instructors did for me and see how good these kids can get.

word

"Never accept how good you play, because once you accept you'll never get any better." - Mikey Hartzog
Bassdrummin
Chick
Chick

Postby Metz » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:21 am

Bassdrummin wrote:I can't blame others for leaving the FMB because of DCI, I flirted with the idea for three years now. Now that i'm graduating, I realize that the FMB had given me everything I needed to make the next step to a higher stakes activity like drum corps, where i've done things I never thought I could possibly do.

We are glad you stuck aroung Sank! I don't know if I can say you do a great job with controlling the bass line, but without you there would be chaos! Hope you can march again soon so I can use your 3' tall crutches some more!
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby MikeBG86 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:43 pm

Nice group of folks on here!

To Class of 61 No offense taken my friend- no excuses either! I just havent been back in awhile

Bassdrummin Cool response and I agree with your observations The bass drummers are lucky to have you I am definitely coming to the game on 10/16 to see what kind of chops you guys (and gals?) have
MikeBG86
Egg
Egg

Postby Metz » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:49 pm

MikeBG86 wrote:Bassdrummin Cool response and I agree with your observations The bass drummers are lucky to have you I am definitely coming to the game on 10/16 to see what kind of chops you guys (and gals?) have

IMO, we have the best drumline in the MAC. You will definitely enjoy their performance at the BallsTate game! Hopefully while living near Columbus you have had a chance to see the worst damn band in the land because it will make ours look that much better! :D
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby BGSUfanatUT » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:07 pm

a word of advice, dont listen to Metz, he mostly jus tposts to ge his count up, not to say anythign important :P
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. A rocket is always a dildo."
~Rightupinthere
BGSUfanatUT
rubs smooth arms
rubs smooth arms

Postby Metz » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:52 pm

BGSUfanatUT wrote:a word of advice, dont listen to Metz, he mostly jus tposts to ge his count up, not to say anythign important :P

Who's the one averaging 13 posts a day? :P
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby BGSUfanatUT » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:27 am

not me, Im well above 13/day 8)
~Rightupinthere
BGSUfanatUT
rubs smooth arms
rubs smooth arms

Postby Metz » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:52 pm

BGSUfanatUT wrote:not me, Im well above 13/day 8)

Well over 13 and gaining on me fast! By tomorrow I'm sure you'll be up to 600 :D
Metz
Behemoth Falcon!!
Behemoth Falcon!!

Postby BGSUfanatUT » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:59 pm

thats the goal. 8)
~Rightupinthere
BGSUfanatUT
rubs smooth arms
rubs smooth arms

Postby MatrixBass3 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:09 am

As a shameless plug, sort of.....I'm not one of the DCI guys, but I am one of the guys that marches WGI. We have 5 people in the band that did indoor drumline last year, and one guy that's not here anymore. 3 of us were in Matrix and 3 were with Rhythm X. I know a lot of drumcorps people think that WGI is just a bunch of DCI wanna-be's, but it's not. Anyway, since you, MikeBG86, live in Columbus, you may want to come check out world championships, which are in Dayton this year. More info can be found at www.wgi.org. It's always great to hear from an alumn of the drumline.
MatrixBass3
Egg
Egg

Return to BGSU Bands