Alumni Homecoming Schedule

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

Postby Ohiogal » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:27 pm

There needs to be more activities during the year besides homecoming. I pitched this last year sometime. Alumni A-Band is one thing as well as alumni concert band (to a lesser extent).

We had an alumni concert band scheduled but only 7 people signed up for it so they nixed it.

More alumni could find out about this site if GRANT and his WIFE would march and hand out flyers ;)

And Rabbit, it's a NIGHT game this year so NO EXCUSES!!! :)
Go Faccons!
Ohiogal
Peregrine
Peregrine

We wanted to be there, but...

Postby VAFalcon » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:48 am

John and I were really going to try to get there this year... especially with the Falcon Flames theme and all. But, alas, I don't think it's going to work out. Too many logistics to getting out there (drive 10+ hours or fly, which might take two days with all the craziness surrounding flying anywhere these days; find someone to stay with our 4th grader so we don't have to pull him out of school; time off from work; etc.). Maybe some year homecoming will fall on Columbus Day weekend... that would be logistically easier. We were looking forward to seeing everyone as we've been back only once since graduation. :-( Have fun, and we'll be with you in spirit!!

Kirstin (and John)
Kirstin
BG '93
VAFalcon
Egg
Egg

Postby tubachic » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:33 pm

Has anyone received their Mouthpiece yet?
"Hey Maggots, let's go to the front of the band"
tubachic
Egg
Egg

Postby able1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:59 pm

Mine was here by this past Saturday.
able1
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby bgmaggot00 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:40 pm

tubachic wrote:Has anyone received their Mouthpiece yet?

I got my first ever "Mouthpiece" in the mail today, but haven't had a chance to read through it. Excellent though!
bgmaggot00
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby SaxyIrishTenor » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:57 pm

I got mine!
SHEEEE'S BAAAAAAAACK.

"SWF seeks marching band for relationship..."

"No well-behaved woman ever made history."
SaxyIrishTenor
Feisty Falcon
Feisty Falcon

Postby Shakeatailfeather04 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:44 pm

I got mine over the weekend and my registration form is in the mail! Now if I could only find my flute....
Time will treat you kindly
Years from now you'll be
Ever dearer to our hearts,
Our University.

We drink MILK and eat cookies all night long, HEY!!
Shakeatailfeather04
Chick
Chick

Postby jlozer8 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:28 pm

I got mine this past Saturday and it's in the mail as well!
Falcon Marching Band - Trumpet Section Leader '04, '05. '06
jlozer8
Chick
Chick

Postby tubachic » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:56 am

ok I'm pissed. No Mouthpiece in the mail and I've marched alumni for 10 years. I didn't even move. I guess they don't want the bell tones in the Alma Mater this year!!!
"Hey Maggots, let's go to the front of the band"
tubachic
Egg
Egg

Re: Pardon me for commenting

Postby pooksat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:36 pm

Class of 61 wrote:I usually take some time to read thru all the forums...and as a NON FMB person, I only have one observation to make....
Is there a reason for this apparent apathy among FMB alums...and if so, what can be done to turn it around? I'd LOVE to see 100+ alums marching, in addition to the current band. But then, I'm just an"old" guy who loves BGSU, even with some of its faults. :(

Hi, all. I read this forum every now and then, but this is my first time actually contributing. Believe me, I was tempted to throw in some comments during the recent HuTo-inspired flame war but decided it was a quasi-moot point (Fuj, shame on you!)

Unfortunately my partner-in-crime and I will be unable to attend Homecoming yet again because of an OMEA competition that same day. A few years ago, we were responsible for getting 16 of our former Perc colleagues to return and had a great time. However, we were talking after the event and wondering why it seems to be so hard to get people to return. After all, I realize it may be a somewhat lopsided comparison, but OSU and UM have no trouble getting hundreds of enthusiastic alumni to come back each year.

To disagree with an earlier post that it takes up the entire day, I would like suggest just the opposite. For myself and others, I know that part of the reason we come back is because it's fun to have that feeling of being on the field and in the band again. However, with the exception of a couple stand tune opportunities here and there, this experience pretty much ends after pregame. For those who sometimes make long trips to come back to BG, our experience usually consists of having a rehearsal, marching on to the field through a chorus of the fight song, standing still and playing a song, finishing pregame and then... that's it. Thanks a lot, alumni. See you next year. Once we're in the stands, the interaction with the band and attention from the band is minimal. I think that's why most of the alumni band has left by the third quarter.

One thing I've noticed at three recent Big Ten games is that the alumni is incorporated into the halftime show, as well. I'm not suggesting that the alumni band needs to learn drills like they do at OSU every year (and those of you who know me know I am no fan of the so-called BDBITL)--I just think if the alumni was made to feel as though their presence is welcome once pregame is over, it might be a more successful tradition. Maybe there needs to be more interaction among the two bands. I know logistics can be cumbersome, but if we could get rid of the Us and Them aspects of the day somewhat, it might be more fun for all involved.

I enjoy seeing my old friends, getting to play again and being on the field in front of the crowd. However, I think if I actually felt like the alumni were more of an integrated part of the whole day, I'd probably be more excited to make the trip.
pooksat
Egg
Egg

Postby Bassdrummin » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:44 pm

I agree 100%. Welcome to the forums Ian.
Bassdrummin
Chick
Chick

Alums at half time

Postby Class of 61 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:46 pm

I mentioned earlier that I was impressed with OU's alumni band, especially the large numbers of participants...If I recall correctly, the alum band WAS a part of the half time show...A lot of dancing and jiving, in addition to playing...I know that's OU's style.
My point is that perhaps it's time for some of the AZZer's in the FMB alum group go to the director and ASK to be a part of the show...doing at least ONE number at halftime should'nt be that big a request...and perhaps more of the lesser involved folks might WANT to join in...sure would be fun for me to see as an alum who enjoys halftime shows. The OU folks seemed to be having a great time...and if the number wasn't TOO complex, should be able to be mastered quickly in the AM, I would think.
Education our Challenge, Excellence our goal. (look it up)
Class of 61
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby Rightupinthere » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:10 pm

Ohiogal and I were having a discussion along these lines the other day.

Jay Jackson made it a HUGE point to make the alumni feel welcome (even when they weren't "his" students.)

Rohr did the same but not as enthusiastically.

Then things went downhill in alumni relations (in my mind, at least.)

I remember there was a performance the alumni band made a march-on cameo appearance. I think it was 96 or 97? We did it once and I thought it was pretty cool.

Look for this board in the coming months. There's going to be quite a bit of goings on with the alumni band program (especially if things shake out the way they are looking.)
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness
Mercenary of Churlishness

Previous

Return to BGSU Bands