September 11, 2004

1, 2, Ay-Zig, GO!

September 11, 2004

Postby the_big_c » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:13 pm

I was just wondering what some of you think about the upcoming "I Hear America Singing" Show. I've been working on the Horn part, seeing as I marched Picc last year, I'm a little nervous about the challenges that await. I'm feeling indifferent about the Men's Chorus being involved. Somethings belong on a marching field and some don't. No offense, Men's Chorusians, but I'm sure that the crowd will love it. If the last time the FMB did a patriotic show is any indicator of Ryan Nowlin's, "Patriotic show to end all patriotic shows," then we'll all be in for a treat. :D
"The Good Bands, become Friends. The Great Bands become Families, and all of the others manage to maintain some semblance of existence through being loudmouths and pompous fools. We are a Family."

God, I love Band!
the_big_c
Egg
Egg

Re: September 11, 2004

Postby Rightupinthere » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:22 am

the_big_c wrote:I was just wondering what some of you think about the upcoming "I Hear America Singing" Show.

Patriotic shows go over pretty well at BG. We always had success with them in the late 80's and early 90's.

I've been working on the Horn part, seeing as I marched Picc last year, I'm a little nervous about the challenges that await.

It's good to see you bettering yourself. :wink:

I'm feeling indifferent about the Men's Chorus being involved. Somethings belong on a marching field and some don't.

I couldn't agree more. Are you going to be marching cellos as well?

I wish I would be able to see the show, but I have prior commitments for that weekend. I will just have to await the scouting report.
"Science doesn’t know everything? Well science KNOWS it doesn’t know everything… otherwise it’d stop."
Dara O'Brian - Comedian
Rightupinthere
Mercenary of Churlishness
Mercenary of Churlishness

Postby SaxyOboist » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:57 pm

I dunno... something about this vaguely reminds me of the Gospel Choir fiasco.

...<tries to imagine it as it was before her time>

But I have faith in Ryan Nowlin, as he is my hero, and I hope that all turns out well. Who knows?

-=Jessica=-
SaxyOboist
Egg
Egg

i was there in 1999...

Postby jacojdm » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:55 am

SaxyOboist wrote:I dunno... something about this vaguely reminds me of the Gospel Choir fiasco.

...<tries to imagine it as it was before her time>

But I have faith in Ryan Nowlin, as he is my hero, and I hope that all turns out well. Who knows?

-=Jessica=-

how can you call it a fiasco when you weren't even there? what on earth are you trying to imagine? the gospel choir show wasn't a fiasco. in fact, it was arguably the best music that we played all year (with arrangements by vitale, nowlin and canter). it was moderately ill-conceived in the respect that it was difficult for a vocal group of that size to be amplified and be just in time with the band from an audience perspective. i have all thae faith in the world that dr. skoog can overcome this problem.
jacojdm
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby SaxyOboist » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:24 pm

Well, from what I heard from those who actually played in it that it was a bunch of bs and it almost got Dr. Toney fired. Now it may be possible to argue that it was a good show, I have no doubt in that. But in my opinion, anything dealing with this equation: Gospel choir + football = shouldn't be there.
SaxyOboist
Egg
Egg

Postby jacojdm » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:05 pm

SaxyOboist wrote:Well, from what I heard from those who actually played in it that it was a bunch of bs and it almost got Dr. Toney fired. Now it may be possible to argue that it was a good show, I have no doubt in that. But in my opinion, anything dealing with this equation: Gospel choir + football = shouldn't be there.

Hear this from someone who actually played in it, carried a sousaphone, and stood directly behind the gospel choir for part of the performance. It didn't get Dr. Toney fired, not even "almost," whatever in the hell that means. It p'ed off an agnostic alumnus who wrote a letter to the BG News. Bottom line, it was a sort of progressive idea, with a less than stellar drill, and extremely well written musical charts.
jacojdm
Peregrine
Peregrine

Postby FliccGirl » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:36 pm

Think we'll get any babies thrown at us this year? :D lol
Falcon Marching Band member 2002-05
FMB Flicc Squad Leader 2005
Tau Beta Sigma outreach chair 04-05, 05-06
The sun ALWAYS shines on the Falcon Marching Band.

***Irrational Exuberance!***
FliccGirl
Peregrine
Peregrine

Location: Toledo... (but I repeat, the MED SCHOOL DOESN'T COUNT!)

Return to BGSU Bands